Indigo UI freezes momentarily on incoming Z-Wave updates

Posted on
Tue May 05, 2020 2:28 pm
CrazyFin offline

Indigo UI freezes momentarily on incoming Z-Wave updates

When I am clicking around in the Indigo UI with the mouse pointer the UI seems to freeze for 1-2 seconds quite regurarly.
I can see in the process monitor that the CPU is NOT on a heavy load.

This has been for at least 2-3 years and I initially suspected some of my many installed plugins.
I disabled all of them but still the same momentarily freeze happening. The freezes are short, like 1-2 seconds at a time.

After some intense digging I realized that the freezes ALWAYS happened just before the Indigo log displayed a Z-Wave update! :o

So when I was clicking around with the mouse and the selected row I clicked on did not get highlighted I saw a Z-Wave event in the log shortly after (1-2 seconds).
This happens ONLY within the Indigo UI and if I click around in any other program while Z-Wave events are arriving in the Indigo log there are NO freezes.

I have the Aeon Labs Gen5/S5 USB Z-Wave stick and debug info shows this:
Z-Wave connected to Z-Stick interface on /dev/cu.usbmodem641 (firmware 1.01)
Z-Wave Debug starting serial connection loop
Z-Wave Debug starting zwave packet parser thread
Z-Wave Debug SENT getVersion: 01 03 00 15 E9
Z-Wave Debug RCVD getVersion: 01 10 01 15 5A 2D 57 61 76 65 20 34 2E 35 34 00 01 93 (no inbound callback)
Z-Wave Debug . . getVersion: Z-Wave 4.54 static controller

Posted on
Wed May 06, 2020 1:02 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Indigo UI freezes momentarily on incoming Z-Wave updates

That is really bizarre. The Indigo Server and Z-Wave plugin run independently of the client/GUI process. They should never cause it to block or freeze.

Can you define what you mean by the UI freezing? Do you get the spinning beachball?

And about how many Z-Wave devices do you have? (and how many total devices)?

Posted on
Wed May 06, 2020 3:00 pm
CrazyFin offline

Can you define what you mean by the UI freezing? Do you get the spinning beachball?

Nope it is not the spinning beach ball. If I for example click on a row to select a device and at the same time a Z-Wave update arrives the UI "freezes" before the new selection is highlighted. As soon as I see the Z-Wave event in the log the selected device is highlighted.

All these problems disappear when I disable the Z-Wave plugin so it is not any of my other plugins and it is ONLY within the Indigo UI. There are no 1-2 second freezes when I for example am writing this post.

And about how many Z-Wave devices do you have? (and how many total devices)?

I just realized that there is no easy way to list how many Z-Wave devices? Just selecting all Z-Wave devices does not work since many of my Z-Wave devices has "child devices".
Anyway, I would say that I have about 100-150 Z-Wave devices and 20-30 other devices (mainly 433MHz devices where I use RFXcom to feed the values into Indigo).

Posted on
Wed May 06, 2020 4:23 pm
howartp offline

Sort the device window by Address; it’ll list the nodes from 1 to x in roughly numerical order (other IP address or MAC address type devices might get in the way but it’s a good starting point). Don’t forget it skips node IDs when you exclude so there will be missing IDs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Posted on
Wed May 06, 2020 5:50 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Does this normally happen in the Main Window when you have the main DEVICES category selected, meaning that all of the devices are visible in the table? I wonder if the problem is related to the Z-Wave plugin updating device states from the incoming command and the GUI taking a long time to process the change because there are a lot of devices visible. Point being, if you select one of your devices sub-folders, so fewer devices are actually visible, does the problem occurs less frequently (or is a much shorter duration; only a fraction of a second)?

Posted on
Sat May 09, 2020 5:23 am
CrazyFin offline

Same 1-2 second delay/freeze in the Indigo GUI even if I select a subfolder that has no Z-Wave devices.

I did suspect the SQL logger initially but I have tried with disabling the SQL Logger plugin and the freezes remain. I ham currently using Postgres but I had the same problems with SQLite which I had initially.

If I disable the Z-Wave interface I do not get any momentarily freezes at all so it has to do with the Z-Wave plugin?

Posted on
Thu May 14, 2020 9:06 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

When the freeze occurs is the only thing showing in the Event Log that a Z-Wave command was received? Is it possible Triggers or other logic/scripts are executing? Can you copy/paste a few examples of what is logged at the time you see the freezes?

It sounds like the freeze occurs when the UI is updating because a device's states changed (as will occur when an incoming Z-Wave command is received for a device). But I'm surprised that just a single device updating would cause it to freeze like that. If there was some logic that is occurring (Trigger, script, etc.) that might be updating several devices (or variable values) then that would better explain the freeze than just a single device having its states/properties refreshed.

Page 1 of 1