WiFi Controlled Space Heaters with API?

Posted on
Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:05 am
rbdubz3 offline

WiFi Controlled Space Heaters with API?

Has anyone heard whether any of the WiFi enabled Space Heaters on the market have APIs that can be used for Home Automation control?

I have a non-smart space heater that is a few years old - it has it's own thermostat and temp control. I was thinking of trying out an Insteon On/Off Plug-In module to turn on/off power based on occupancy/etc. However, my space heater settings/etc are reset whenever power is removed, and subsequently requires the on/off button to be pressed.. I could probably get an even older space heater simpler controls that won't reset when power is removed, but thought I'd check to see if anyone has done this type of experimentation with newer WiFi enabled space heaters.

thanks in advance!

I automate because I am lazy :D - My Plugins: https://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=309

Posted on
Tue Dec 24, 2019 1:54 pm
durosity offline

Re: WiFi Controlled Space Heaters with API?

I'm not aware of any with an open API.. If it were me I'd just getting a bog standard off the shelf one, set it to maximum heat on its manual controls then use a smart switch and a thermostat located on the other side the room and some basic logic to turn it on and off accordingly. There's an old plugin somewhere on here that was designed for exactly that kind of use.. worked well when I used it back when I had something similar for a room a few years ago.

Computer says no.

Posted on
Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:29 am
rbdubz3 offline

Thanks - I considered this same approach.. However, the small space heater I've been using already has a thermostat capability and the act of cutting power to it resets the whole thing. So maybe a simpler heater as you describe would do the trick.

I did poll some of the manufacturers doing WiFi enabled heaters with their own apps. Mill Heat team indicated they have an API and would give me token/credentials in order to write my own logic.. Here is one of them for sale at Home Depot - https://www.homedepot.com/p/MILL-1-500- ... /306248909 .. Anyhow, I got too busy at work - so haven't purchased it to try any type of integration

I automate because I am lazy :D - My Plugins: https://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=309

Posted on
Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:15 pm
mundmc offline

durosity wrote:
I'm not aware of any with an open API.. If it were me I'd just getting a bog standard off the shelf one, set it to maximum heat on its manual controls then use a smart switch and a thermostat located on the other side the room and some basic logic to turn it on and off accordingly. There's an old plugin somewhere on here that was designed for exactly that kind of use.. worked well when I used it back when I had something similar for a room a few years ago.

After using my table saw on a zwave plug (to sense current and turn on my shop vac) I quickly learned it had a safety shut-off feature. While this is good, I think it could really limit how much current a lot of space heaters pull.

Honestly, though, i need to do exactly this for my shop 3d printer.

Posted on
Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:33 pm
mclass offline

rbdubz3 wrote:
Has anyone heard whether any of the WiFi enabled Space Heaters on the market have APIs that can be used for Home Automation control?

I have a non-smart space heater that is a few years old - it has it's own thermostat and temp control. I was thinking of trying out an Insteon On/Off Plug-In module to turn on/off power based on occupancy/etc. However, my space heater settings/etc are reset whenever power is removed, and subsequently requires the on/off button to be pressed.. I could probably get an even older space heater simpler controls that won't reset when power is removed, but thought I'd check to see if anyone has done this type of experimentation with newer WiFi enabled space heaters.

thanks in advance!

I’ve just installed two Nobo panel heaters with the schedule thermostats.

As you say, the schedule is lost if powered off, but they come on at the previously selected temperature when power is restored, so they may suit your application.

Note that Nobo has user replaceable controllers, including a wifi device. However it seems to require a Nobo hub, and i’m not sure if an API is available.

It’s on my list to investigate, but towards the bottom of a growing list!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 1