Zigbee sensors

Posted on
Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:02 pm
siclark offline

Zigbee sensors

An initial, I have done it post, with more detail to follow. Hopefully this is new and not redoing something else that has been done. But I was interested in getting generic zigbee sensors into Indigo that wouldnt sync via the Hue hub and the great Hue plugin (which I use for all my bulbs). I also didnt want to buy another hub.

Using a £10 USB stick (cheaper if you wait for Ali shipping) I have got a £10 temp/humidity/pressure sensor that looks great updating 3 linked devices in Indigo via MQTT. No other hardware required. This is opening up a new range of sensor options.

Posted on
Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:15 pm
FlyingDiver offline

Re: Zigbee sensors

I thought you were also using an rPi?

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Posted on
Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:17 pm
siclark offline

Haha. I am but it’s not needed. You could run direct on a Mac mini. It was easier for me to setup on a pi than get a usb hub to fit the usb stick into my mini. Also it was already plugged into the pi to flash the firmware as I didn't bother buying the dedicated cable for it so used some jumper cables.
However who doesn’t have a spare pi or 2 lying around these days

Posted on
Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:20 pm
FlyingDiver offline

siclark wrote:
However who doesn’t have a spare pi or 2 lying around these days

I don't. I need to order some more. Had one die on me, and another is permanently attached to my Ender 3 printer, and another is moving to our storage facility to run the sensors there (relayed back to Indigo via MQTT). So the only one I have left is an old rPi 1, which isn't good for much. I've been buying 3B+ models. Maybe it's time to try out a 4.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Posted on
Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:21 pm
siclark offline

Ah. I have 5 doing pibeacon duties one of which is also now running zigbee2mqtt in nodejs.

Posted on
Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:10 pm
mundmc offline

siclark wrote:
An initial, I have done it post, with more detail to follow. Hopefully this is new and not redoing something else that has been done. But I was interested in getting generic zigbee sensors into Indigo that wouldnt sync via the Hue hub and the great Hue plugin (which I use for all my bulbs). I also didnt want to buy another hub.

Using a £10 USB stick (cheaper if you wait for Ali shipping) I have got a £10 temp/humidity/pressure sensor that looks great updating 3 linked devices in Indigo via MQTT. No other hardware required. This is opening up a new range of sensor options.

This is great- please share any relevant deets on the plugins you used (eg Shims, MQTT, etc)!

Posted on
Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:41 am
siclark offline

mundmc wrote:
siclark wrote:

This is great- please share any relevant deets on the plugins you used (eg Shims, MQTT, etc)!

Will do. Just testing out a few setups and hardware. Really interested to read you can create a mesh of ZigBee USB sticks to work like zwave boosters.

Posted on
Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:36 am
mundmc offline

siclark wrote:
mundmc wrote:
siclark wrote:

Will do. Just testing out a few setups and hardware. Really interested to read you can create a mesh of ZigBee USB sticks to work like zwave boosters.

Mesh??? Wow, that’s awesome

Posted on
Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:47 am
siclark offline

Yes. If we just want it as a cheap sensor network and don't have mains wired devices to repeat like our zwave devices an extra $6 usb stick would solve that problem.
Getting another order in over the weekend to play some more.

Posted on
Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:49 am
siclark offline

Just need to make sure with WiFi mesh around the house, plus Hue ZigBee light link plus ZigBee mesh, so 3 Networks all on same frequency that I manage the channels carefully.

Posted on
Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:14 am
CliveS offline

siclark wrote:

All ready and waiting for the Zigbee writeup :)

IMG_7119.JPG
IMG_7119.JPG (261.59 KiB) Viewed 2589 times
IMG_3967.JPG
IMG_3967.JPG (264.33 KiB) Viewed 2589 times

CliveS

Indigo 2023.2.0 : macOS Ventura 13.6.3 : Mac Mini M2 : 8‑core CPU and 10‑core GPU : 8 GB : 256GB SSD
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The best way to get the right answer on the Internet is not to ask a question, it's to post the wrong answer

Posted on
Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:31 am
siclark offline

Haha. Nice case. What sensor have you got?

I'll try and get onto it this evening. Just had a HDD in my NAS die so having to deal with that first.

Posted on
Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:40 am
CliveS offline

siclark wrote:
Haha. Nice case. What sensor have you got?

I'll try and get onto it this evening. Just had a HDD in my NAS die so having to deal with that first.

At present only Philips Hue bulbs as most Aqara sellers are Chinese based so I am not ordering due to the delay
Case Stick and antenna preflashed for zigbee2mqqt for £22.00 first class royal mail delivery.

CliveS

Indigo 2023.2.0 : macOS Ventura 13.6.3 : Mac Mini M2 : 8‑core CPU and 10‑core GPU : 8 GB : 256GB SSD
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The best way to get the right answer on the Internet is not to ask a question, it's to post the wrong answer

Posted on
Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:53 am
autolog offline

CliveS wrote:
... Case Stick and antenna preflashed for zigbee2mqqt for £22.00 first class royal mail delivery.

Is there a link for this? :)

Posted on
Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:18 am
siclark offline

You can get aqara temp and humidity from Amazon in only 1-2 days and not much difference in price to the Chinese sellers.

Also look at banggood as they sell several sensor types shipping from Europe.