Has anyone tried the UniFi failover wan device

Posted on
Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:31 am
kw123 offline

https://unifi-lte.ui.com/
I am looking into putting this in.

Or has anyone installed a wan failover solution?

Karl

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:33 am
durosity offline

Re: Has anyone tried the UniFi failover wan device

I'll be very interested in this if a UK variant ever appears... although ironically it's maximum transmission rates are faster than the maximum wired connection I can get here ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Computer says no.

Posted on
Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:55 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

kw123 wrote:
https://unifi-lte.ui.com/
I am looking into putting this in.

Or has anyone installed a wan failover solution?

I'm interested in anyone's experiences too. I read about this the other day and it sounds promising since it can have external high-gain antenna. My neighborhood is in a bit of a cell sinkhole, but being able to put an external antenna up might help with that. Also not sure I need the capability enough to justify the extra $15/month...

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:38 am
siclark offline

Forget the wan failover, what's the Unifi Dream Machine that it's compatible with?

Posted on
Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:28 pm
kw123 offline

It’s all in one box starter:
Gateway router WiFi switch

Posted on
Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:41 pm
durosity offline

jay (support) wrote:
Also not sure I need the capability enough to justify the extra $15/month...

We need access to you 24/7. Downtime is not an option.... do you still have that 1200 baud modem? That'd probably work just as well.

Computer says no.

Posted on
Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:49 pm
durosity offline

siclark wrote:
Forget the wan failover, what's the Unifi Dream Machine that it's compatible with?

As Karl said it's an all-in-one unit, gateway, switch, wifi and cloud key all in one.. some people love it, some hate it because they feel unifi systems should be fully modular. I can see both sides. I'm excited for the UDM Pro which is effectively the same thing sans wifi but fits in a 19" rack. They also have a much more powerful processor on them so I believe they can handle much better through put when IPS is enabled and you have a super fast internet connection. The big problem seems to be you can't disable the internal cloud key so you can't set them up as multiple sites on one controller, which is a real shame as otherwise I'd be getting a couple for family who I manage with older equipment and frankly it'd be lovely just to have everything in one place through one single interface. That said they've hinted they may allow this in the future, apparently.. so not all is lost.

Computer says no.

Posted on
Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:00 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

durosity wrote:
do you still have that 1200 baud modem?

I thought you took that when I threw you out of the basement... :lol:

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:02 pm
durosity offline

Aha! So you admit you have a basement!

Computer says no.

Posted on
Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:28 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

durosity wrote:
Aha! So you admit you have a basement!

I sold that house in 2016 because I just couldn't get rid of the stench in the basement... :lol: :twisted:

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:50 am
Swancoat offline

I would like something like this (and I'd considered a different LTE modem in the past. This one's probably a bit easier to set up in a USG, but I have an Edgerouter and it would support failover).

I just keep balking at the cost. And not the upfront cost, the ongoing data costs. My service is generally pretty good, but I'm sure everyone here can attest to the unreasonable amount of pain you feel when your internet does go down. Of course at a minimum, there has to be some sort of network access fee. It's hard for me to stomach more than $5/ month for that though. The appropriate data plan for me would be some kind of plan that is something like zero included data, and pay as you go after (in a dream world (or maybe just a 'just' world), you could just forward those variable data bills to your existing ISP for reimbursement lol). So maybe the few times per year I actually use it, I pay what I use (even better if I could prepay at a lower rate. Maybe just buy like 5 GB up front or something and just re-up when I run low).

Or maybe, let it use the data under the same terms as other existing devices in my ATT plan. That's basically how data plans for Apple Watches work . Although it's still $10/month just to add the device to the network, then it dips out of the same data pool.

$15/ mo with included MONTHLY data that I'll likely never bump up against is just not easy enough to justify for me given the intermittance of outages from my ISP.

If I could Pay $5/month and it just shares my ATT family plan, then sure. Worth it.
At the exact same terms as the Apple Watch ($10 and shares my plan)... that's a harder sell.

http://nerdhome.jimdo.com

Posted on
Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:24 pm
eme jota ce offline

Some Indigo users might share my alternative cost perspective on this - especially if you use the DSC plugin or one of the other alarm system plugins with a cellular data backup to a monitoring service for fire / police. For me, it looks like installing the Unifi device and paying the AT&T monthly fee is nearly net-zero monthly cost...

Currently paying an extra $11/month for cellular back-up on the DSC alarm's communication with the monitoring service. This is used only when the Internet connection goes down, and only communicates with the alarm service without providing any other data to the house. It needs to be upgraded to LTE, soon, and the older 3G upon which it currently relies has been less and less reliable over the last year - causing lots of notifications of lost backup protection. With the new LTE DSC module, the monitoring services monthly fee will increase to $14/month, hardware will cost $179, one-time activation will be another $60. Canceling the monitoring service and avoiding the new DSC hardware / install costs makes this net-zero cost for about 40 months to purchase the Unifi and pay for the AT&T monthly charge. Not bad!

Concern would be that "some people" at home consume an immense amount of data, which could run up the AT&T fees, but maybe the Unifi plugin would allow me to throttle or temporarily shutdown their devices while on Cellular data. Also, uncertain about the quality of AT&T services near me.

Would be very interested in anyone's experience with performance of the Unifi device.

Posted on
Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:18 pm
kw123 offline

The plugin does mostly reporting ie get data from UniFi to fill indigo devices states and triggers etc

Currently for Settings = write to UniFi :
Camera settings
Switch Poe on/ off/ cycle
Reboot UniFi devices
Enable / disable clients ( dis-allow them
On the network )

I could look I to more active writing to UniFi but have not found a requirement for that.
Options could be WiFi on/ off; switch wan
... but currently not on the radar screen

Karl

Posted on
Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:41 pm
farberm offline

Karl:

My USG setup includes two WANs... Wan1(eth0) for primary and wan2(eth2) for failover. The unifi app (cloudkey controller) reports... sends a notification... when wan1 goes into inactive and wan2 goes to active state. This tells me that wan1 connection has failed. This is different obviously than load balancing.

It would be great to know when this occurs via your plugin so I can send a reboot command to me modem to reconnect.

I have looked at the states on the USG device for the plugin and never see anything change (or a variable that indocated failover or inactive) when I have my primary wan fail.

It would be great if I can track that occurence and have the modem on wan1 reboot via a action.

Any option to get this feature added?

Posted on
Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:15 pm
kw123 offline

I believe there is something in the dict, but thats difficult to test (for me) w one wan .

could you do
ssh userid@ipOfYourGateway (eg 192.168.1.1)
enter password
the userid is the unix userid

with wan1 up wan2 down:
mca-dump
with wan1 down wan2 up
mca-dump

then send me the mca-dump outputs ( a lot of lines) may be compressed
you can mark/copy/ paste into local txtfile then compress and send to karlwachs me com

I don't think there are any userid.. but routing and port forwarding tables

I need to look at
"config_network_ports": {
"LAN": "eth0",
"WAN": "eth2",
"WAN2": "eth3"
},

and "if_table": [
{
"enable": true,
"full_duplex": true,
"ip": "192.168.1.1",
"mac": "b4:fb:e4:29:f0:bd",
"name": "eth0",
"netmask": "255.255.255.0",
"num_port": 1,
"rx_bytes": 29105066847,
"rx_dropped": 260,
"rx_errors": 0,
"rx_multicast": 264173,
"rx_packets": 136778719,
"speed": 1000,
"tx_bytes": 478199362978,
"tx_dropped": 0,
"tx_errors": 0,
"tx_packets": 367674496,
"up": true
},
{
"enable": false,
"full_duplex": false,
"ip": "0.0.0.0",
"mac": "b4:fb:e4:29:f0:be",

the challenge will be that I use the wan1 mac address as the id for the GW, As there are more lan ports in use than wan ports and I need a mac number that id's the device.

Karl