Homekit camera frame update rate

Posted on
Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:36 pm
akimball offline

Homekit camera frame update rate

Hi, I apologize if this question has been answered (i looked) but i’m using HKB with cynical securityspy plugin and have successful camera output in homekit... if you call 1 frame every 10-seconds successful. In fact, I have 3 cams now doing their 1-frame every 10-seconds thing ...each. At that rate a garden snail could theoretically slime it’s way across my entire front porch and never be noticed by the cameras.

Is there any way to do better than 1 frame per 10 seconds? This appears to be a homekit limitation but I can’t tell.

TIA

-Al

Posted on
Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:08 am
cuhouse offline

Re: Homekit camera frame update rate

akimball wrote:
Hi, I apologize if this question has been answered (i looked) but i’m using HKB with cynical securityspy plugin and have successful camera output in homekit... if you call 1 frame every 10-seconds successful. In fact, I have 3 cams now doing their 1-frame every 10-seconds thing ...each. At that rate a garden snail could theoretically slime it’s way across my entire front porch and never be noticed by the cameras.

Is there any way to do better than 1 frame per 10 seconds? This appears to be a homekit limitation but I can’t tell.

TIA

I am running 2 cameras and see the same thing as you describe. I assumed this was the way it is supposed to work. Basically like a snapshot and if you need to see more detail on a particular camera, you select it and you get a nice live shot.

Jody

Indigo 2022.1.2, Big Sur v11.7.1, Dedicated late 2014 Mac Mini, PowerLinc 2413U.

Posted on
Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:18 pm
akimball offline

[/quote]

I am running 2 cameras and see the same thing as you describe. I assumed this was the way it is supposed to work. Basically like a snapshot and if you need to see more detail on a particular camera, you select it and you get a nice live shot.

Jody[/quote]

Thanks for the response. I take it that the “nice live shot” you mention is still a single frame (that’s what I get too).

It would be acceptable if I could get a frame every second or two minimum, but 10 seconds is just too long. I’ll keep googling for a solution. I’m wondering if the dlink or logitec cams made for homekit have this limitation. I’ll start my research there.

It’s not a huge problem if this can’t be improved since security spy itself is about 2 clicks away as is my skybell doorbell camera.

-al

-Al

Posted on
Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:16 pm
cuhouse offline

akimball wrote:

Jody[/quote]

Thanks for the response. I take it that the “nice live shot” you mention is still a single frame (that’s what I get too).

It would be acceptable if I could get a frame every second or two minimum, but 10 seconds is just too long. I’ll keep googling for a solution. I’m wondering if the dlink or logitec cams made for homekit have this limitation. I’ll start my research there.

It’s not a huge problem if this can’t be improved since security spy itself is about 2 clicks away as is my skybell doorbell camera.

-al[/quote]

By “nice live shot” I mean it is a live view of the scene the camera is viewing. The cameras time stamp is ticking off each second. The small picture is every 10 seconds as you state but when I select that picture by touching it, it opens to a full screen live view.

Jody

Indigo 2022.1.2, Big Sur v11.7.1, Dedicated late 2014 Mac Mini, PowerLinc 2413U.

Posted on
Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:55 am
jalves offline

My cameras (7, all Amcrest) have the same response. Main Home window thumbnail refreshes every 10 seconds. However, clicking on the thumbnail brings up a live image. The refresh rate seems to vary according to network traffic and connection method.

Running Indigo 2023.2 on a 24" iMac M1), OS X 14.4
Jeff

Posted on
Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:39 am
akimball offline

Thanks again for the information. I checked images in homekit again and they are single frame still shots even after I click on the images expanding them. Not sure the issue I’m having. I’ll review some more this week.

-al

-Al

Posted on
Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:09 pm
siclark offline

Same. Clicking on them shows orange button showing Live and I can see the seconds tick up so I'm getting at least one frame per second.

Posted on
Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:08 pm
akimball offline

Haven’t been home to investigate yet, but I’m wondering if I have cynical’s securityspy plugin set up correctly.

-Al

Page 1 of 1