Any way to share accessories across multiple "homes"?

Posted on
Sat Jan 04, 2020 6:24 pm
P15-D24 offline

I have my main residence and and in-law unit which has it's own HomePod. The HomePod is linked to a different Apple ID than the main residence. In the Home app on my Mac I see two "homes", my main residence and the inlaw unit. However none of the accessories I have defined in my main residence show up in the in-law "home". Do I need a second bridge for the in-law unit, and define the accessories in the in-law unit? Or am I SOL? If the answer is second bride how do I define it?

Running OS X 12.2.1 on 2018 Mac Mini, Indigo 2022.2
http://www.p15-d24.com

Posted on
Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:16 pm
durosity offline

In my mind there’s 2 ways to do what you want:

1 - setup a new HKB server and add the devices to that and then add that to the other AppleID. This has the benefit of you being able to limit it to certain devices.

2 - share your existing home with their AppleID via the home app. This has the benefit of you being able to get the HomePod to recognise different voices via the Hey Siri function on your phone and would mean your music would play on their HomePod and vice versa, along with other personal requests. This is the route I’d go down personally.

Actually edit: I’m now wondering if their HomePod would recognise a home they were invited into. Alas I have no way to test this.

Computer says no.

Posted on
Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:24 pm
P15-D24 offline

Re: Any way to share accessories across multiple "homes"?

Thanks for the response. I wanted to do option #2 since it is my mother in law but I keep running into an Apple bug where it won't recognize playlists in Music using Apple Match when personal request are turned on. Apple support has acknowledged the issue and I'm hoping to see a fix in 13.4 whenever that gets released.

Option 1 is of interest when we finally end up renting out the cottage after my mother in law moves out.

Running OS X 12.2.1 on 2018 Mac Mini, Indigo 2022.2
http://www.p15-d24.com

Posted on
Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:05 am
durosity offline

Re: Any way to share accessories across multiple "homes"?

iTunes Match eh? I'm actually amazed it still exists!

Computer says no.

Page 1 of 1