New RingForIndigo Plugin Under Development

Posted on
Mon Dec 23, 2019 3:13 pm
ZachBenz offline

New RingForIndigo Plugin Under Development

I've written a new Ring plugin using tchellomello's python library. Doing initial testing, debugging, and refinement over the next few days, then I'll be ready to share with others to test.

ZachBenz's Plugins: RingForIndigo

Posted on
Mon Dec 23, 2019 5:20 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

RingForIndigo Plugin

Excellent, looking forward to giving it a spin!

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:37 am
ZachBenz offline

Re: New Account - not working

Looks like Ring has been fiddling with their API a lot over the past few days, breaking tchellomello's python library periodically (not surprising, all things considered). A little frustrating on the test and debug front as a result... hopefully things will stabilize soon.

Posted on
Tue Dec 24, 2019 4:33 pm
ZachBenz offline

ZachBenz wrote:
Looks like Ring has been fiddling with their API a lot over the past few days, breaking tchellomello's python library periodically (not surprising, all things considered). A little frustrating on the test and debug front as a result... hopefully things will stabilize soon.

Alright, assuming the good folks at Ring take a holiday break and don't make any more backend changes, I'm close to a 1.0 release on the tchellomello based plugin. Will be pretty basic functionality to start - basic Doorbell and Floodlight devices only (Chimes don't seem to consistently be available in the API these past few days for some reason). If it tests out ok for others, we can get fancier from there (video download, etc). I'll post a link to GitHub once I've got it ready for others to try.

Posted on
Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:14 am
ZachBenz offline

ZachBenz wrote:
Alright, assuming the good folks at Ring take a holiday break and don't make any more backend changes, I'm close to a 1.0 release on the tchellomello based plugin. Will be pretty basic functionality to start - basic Doorbell and Floodlight devices only (Chimes don't seem to consistently be available in the API these past few days for some reason). If it tests out ok for others, we can get fancier from there (video download, etc). I'll post a link to GitHub once I've got it ready for others to try.

I've put out an initial release of a new plugin based on tchellomello's python Ring API library - please try it out and see how it works for you:

To start, there is only one device type: Doorbell. With a bit of luck, the plugin will work perfectly for everyone ( :shock: ) and then I'll start adding in other devices, features, actions, version checking, etc.

Posted on
Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:33 am
KSimmons offline

I could not get the RingforIndigo Plugin to work. I kept getting "Failure to communicate with Plugin" messages after entering in my Ring login. Attached are the error messages.
Nice try, but not working for me yet.
Attachments
ishot-1.jpg
ishot-1.jpg (270.96 KiB) Viewed 3460 times

Posted on
Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:37 am
ZachBenz offline

KSimmons wrote:
I could not get the RingforIndigo Plugin to work. I kept getting "Failure to communicate with Plugin" messages after entering in my Ring login. Attached are the error messages.
Nice try, but not working for me yet.

Hmm... seems like it might be stalling out for some reason on the connection to Ring.com. Can you enable printing debug messages to the Indigo log in the plugin settings, or does it not even let you Save the settings? And this is under Indigo 7.4, correct?

Thanks for testing!

Posted on
Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:56 am
autolog offline

Installed the plug and got a few errors after entering my username and password:
Ring Error Error in plugin execution runConcurrentThread:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "plugin.py", line 107, in runConcurrentThread
KeyError: 'key username not found in dict'

Ring Error plugin runConcurrentThread function returned or failed (will attempt again in 10 seconds)

I had the previous Ring plugin installed (but disabled) which might have been confusing things. I deleted the old one and re-installed your version.
It then started OK using the username and password details already entered I.e it didn't put up the plugin config dialogue again.

I then added a doorbell (I selected the front door from the pulldown list which also listed the back door).

It works OK but there is like a 60 second lag between pressing the front doorbell and getting it triggered in Indigo. Likewise with the motion detection.

I went to add the second doorbell (back door)as an Indigo device but it wasn't listed in the pulldown list. When I go back to the original (front door) doorbell and if I edit the device, the back door doorbell is listed.

Thanks for doing this plugin - it's a good start. :D

Posted on
Fri Dec 27, 2019 12:06 pm
KSimmons offline

Yes, running Indigo 7.4. I also deactivated and removed the old previous Ring plugin, and restarted the server.
I turned on debugging mode and got some new messages, but the dropdown menu on the plugin is still not giving me any choices. See attachments.
Attachments
ishot-2.jpg
ishot-2.jpg (164.63 KiB) Viewed 3513 times
ishot-3.jpg
ishot-3.jpg (98.27 KiB) Viewed 3513 times

Posted on
Fri Dec 27, 2019 12:13 pm
autolog offline

KSimmons wrote:
Yes, running Indigo 7.4. I also deactivated and removed the old previous Ring plugin, and restarted the server.
I turned on debugging mode and got some new messages, but the dropdown menu on the plugin is still not giving me any choices. ...

Have you got 2FA turned on - I have it turned off? :)

Posted on
Fri Dec 27, 2019 12:15 pm
KSimmons offline

2FA is turned OFF.

Posted on
Fri Dec 27, 2019 2:27 pm
ZachBenz offline

KSimmons wrote:
2FA is turned OFF.

That was going to be my next question. :D

There has been some further editing of tchellomello's python library the past few days trying to work some more kinks out caused by Ring's recent changes. Going to try merging those in.

Posted on
Fri Dec 27, 2019 2:39 pm
ZachBenz offline

autolog wrote:
Installed the plug and got a few errors after entering my username and password:
Ring Error Error in plugin execution runConcurrentThread:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "plugin.py", line 107, in runConcurrentThread
KeyError: 'key username not found in dict'

Ring Error plugin runConcurrentThread function returned or failed (will attempt again in 10 seconds)

I had the previous Ring plugin installed (but disabled) which might have been confusing things. I deleted the old one and re-installed your version.
It then started OK using the username and password details already entered I.e it didn't put up the plugin config dialogue again.

I then added a doorbell (I selected the front door from the pulldown list which also listed the back door).

It works OK but there is like a 60 second lag between pressing the front doorbell and getting it triggered in Indigo. Likewise with the motion detection.

I went to add the second doorbell (back door)as an Indigo device but it wasn't listed in the pulldown list. When I go back to the original (front door) doorbell and if I edit the device, the back door doorbell is listed.

Thanks for doing this plugin - it's a good start. :D

Awesome - thanks for testing!

Interesting on the username error... shouldn't be any conflict with the old plugin. I went ahead and threw an issue on GitHub to remind me to explore this further in case others encounter it on initial install (or anytime, for that matter).

Also filed an issue for myself on the second doorbell not appearing in the drop down list - I must have messed something up in the device mapping logic. I'll aim to tackle this first.

On update frequency front, I have it hard coded right now, and slow (20 second sleep per polling loop). Figured I'd make sure it worked before potentially getting everyone unceremoniously locked out the API for too many queries. :) Planning on making the refresh rate configurable in the plugin settings. That should be quick.

Posted on
Fri Dec 27, 2019 2:45 pm
ZachBenz offline

KSimmons wrote:
2FA is turned OFF.

Have a hunch on what the problem is - if you don't mind telling me (private message me if you prefer), how many total Ring devices do you have on your account? Just one?
Last edited by ZachBenz on Fri Dec 27, 2019 2:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Posted on
Fri Dec 27, 2019 2:45 pm
ZachBenz offline

autolog wrote:

Have a hunch on what the problem is - if you don't mind telling me (private message me if you prefer), how many total Ring devices do you have on your account? Just the two?