Re: Alexa no longer discovering Indigo installed/managed dev

That's nice, thanks for the input :D

Posted on
Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:25 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

koensayr wrote:
I'm finally getting around to debugging this myself and I think Jay's sticky point is completely valid.

Whats nice for me though is that I work at Amazon (AWS in fact) and thus I might be able to get some attention (or at least explanation) from the Alexa team about this.

Stay tuned....

It would be great to at least get some direct information from the Alexa team on this. Thanks for the attempt... ;)

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:29 am
billorav offline

Jay, I would think that Amazon software support would want to communicate with you directly due to your long standing in the Mac Home Automation software arena and want to help you in the ability to develop an Alexa API with a sound connection to Indigo (beside having to utilize a used 1st Gen Echo). I know you are quickly working on a "Skill" for the Alexa app, but I would think the Amazon software support would take notice, and help in the process, since Indigo is the premier Mac Home Automation software solution, and there are so many inferior home automation "Skills" that are too easily published on Amazon that may not survive in the future.

Posted on
Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:20 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

We are a tiny fish in a huge ocean - they doubtless don't even know we exist.

We know what we need to do, but it's going to take a lot of work on our side because of the way Amazon requires authentication to work (it basically breaks our current security model so we have to rebuild that). The changes are pervasive and non-trivial unfortunately.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Sat Dec 07, 2019 3:35 pm
noel1983 offline

@jay Appreciate you guys historically have preferred to stay focused/just the two of you developing but wondering if there's any chance you could consider crowdfunding from the user community to fund an extra dev to accelerate the Alexa / security work?

Both my gen 1's are above version 641 so i'm stuck without any alexa integration and I actually have my wife asking for it to work and being interested in HA!! I for one would be happy to chip in to get things moving.

Appreciate it's not that easy but thought it was worth suggesting.

Posted on
Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:23 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Appreciate the thought, but it's not really something that can be quickly/easily done by someone that's totally unfamiliar with our environment. We may think about farming out the skill development itself since that would be somewhat isolated in that it would just use our API - but we need to make some changes to the API first to accommodate the new security changes. And since we would also have to maintain it moving forward, it would still require us to be involved to make the maintenance handover go smoothly.

We'll see - we're pretty hesitant to go the crowdsourcing route with anything. It's far from a simple process and requires a significant amount of administrative time to do it right. We've talked to others who have done it and it's a pretty big time investment (not to mention quite risky).

Unfortunately, it's the holiday season and things always tend to get bogged down between Thanksgiving and New Years. We'll keep plugging away at it.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Sun Dec 08, 2019 1:33 am
noel1983 offline

No worries thanks Jay
On the upside despite my gen 1 devices being on a software version starting 647 and not 641 as I think is mentioned as being needed I got mine all back working last night following the instructions a few pages back.

Cheers

Posted on
Sun Dec 08, 2019 5:33 am
CliveS offline

I was just about to bid for an Echo Gen 1 (we didn't get gen 1 dots in the UK) then I read that even they can be updated and fail to work with the plug-in, now I see noel1983 says his updated gen 1 still works so I am confused.

Does anyone else have a gen 1 echo update beyond 641 and still have Alexa working in Indigo?

CliveS

Indigo 2023.2.0 : macOS Ventura 13.6.3 : Mac Mini M2 : 8‑core CPU and 10‑core GPU : 8 GB : 256GB SSD
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The best way to get the right answer on the Internet is not to ask a question, it's to post the wrong answer

Posted on
Sun Dec 08, 2019 5:34 am
noel1983 offline

Yes I’ve got a mate MrRobot I think is his username on here that’s on 647 as well and following the instructions in this thread got them working

Perhaps try creating a new amazon account, de register the echo, register it to that new account, then follow the steps a page or two back

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Posted on
Sun Dec 08, 2019 12:39 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

noel1983 wrote:
NOn the upside despite my gen 1 devices being on a software version starting 647 and not 641 as I think is mentioned as being needed I got mine all back working last night following the instructions a few pages back.

Good news. I just noticed that all of my Gen 1's have 647588720 and are still working.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:18 am
Gangotti offline

Alexa no longer discovering Indigo installed/managed devices

More good news! I have noticed my gen 1 updated to 649598720 and I can confirm it is still working with indigo!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:40 am
CliveS offline

Thanks all for your replies about working above 641, bit the bullet and won an echo gen1 yesterday so will let you know how I get it on Thursday or Friday when it arrives.

CliveS

Indigo 2023.2.0 : macOS Ventura 13.6.3 : Mac Mini M2 : 8‑core CPU and 10‑core GPU : 8 GB : 256GB SSD
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The best way to get the right answer on the Internet is not to ask a question, it's to post the wrong answer

Posted on
Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:07 pm
peteajr offline

I've skimmed through this very long post. My Sonos w/ Alexa device is no longer responding to Indigo commands (Turn on Dining Room, etc.)
In a nutshell is this a universal problem and is someone working to fix it.
thanks!

Posted on
Fri Dec 20, 2019 1:48 am
autolog offline

peteajr wrote:
I've skimmed through this very long post. My Sonos w/ Alexa device is no longer responding to Indigo commands (Turn on Dining Room, etc.)
In a nutshell is this a universal problem and is someone working to fix it.
thanks!

This post has the latest status and limited work arounds: Current state of this plugin (as of October 2019) :)

Posted on
Fri Dec 20, 2019 5:55 am
CliveS offline

CliveS wrote:
Thanks all for your replies about working above 641, bit the bullet and won an echo gen1 yesterday so will let you know how I get it on Thursday or Friday when it arrives.

Well I finally received the Echo Gen 1, it is on firmware 649598720 and I can now "Turn On and Off " the garage door, (anyone got "Open Garage Door"to work?).

Used Jay's step by step instructions and success.

So the Gen 1 Dot and Echo's get around the problem, just make sure you get either with the two buttons on top.

Ebay (especially the UK site) is full of 4 button gen1's which are actually gen2's and don't get the the Echo Plus as they do not seem to work.

My spec is
Indigo 7.4.0
Mac Mini i7 2011
Catalina 10.15.2

CliveS