Control Page oddity

Posted on
Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:51 am
MR_ROBOT_ offline

Control Page oddity

Hi,

First of all, loving DomoPad on Fire HD8. Impressive work on App.

I do have one issue which I can't seem to solve. Almost every day (different times of day), whatever Control Page I have set seems to automatically be exited and the CP list view is redisplayed.

Ive attached a pic of state of DomoPad more often than not when i get home from work.

Obviously it's easy for me to reselect my desired CP again, however just wondered if it was something obvious that I've missed which could be causing it.

Running Indigo 7.4
latest version of DomoPad

Thanks
MR_ROBOT_
Attachments
domopad CP2.jpg
domopad CP2.jpg (212.93 KiB) Viewed 5528 times

Posted on
Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:33 am
lochnesz offline

Re: Control Page oddity

I have noticed the same behavior, but only maybe once or twice a month.

Peter

Skickat från min SM-G960F via Tapatalk

Posted on
Fri Nov 01, 2019 7:06 pm
RogueProeliator offline

I do have one issue which I can't seem to solve. Almost every day (different times of day), whatever Control Page I have set seems to automatically be exited and the CP list view is redisplayed.

Hey guys, apologies on the delayed response. The two things that I can think of that might could cause this would be running out of available RAM or an exception in processing a control page update from the server. I haven't noticed this particular behavior though once in a while I have found a full white page which I THINK is an error handling a bad return from Indigo (e.g. network issue). My belief is it is redrawing with essentially a blank control page. However, that wouldn't seem to be the issue here.

A few of questions:
  • Do you have it set to dim the control page on inactivity?
  • Are there any refreshing images on the page?
  • Does this happen on a particular page(s) where others do not?

FWIW, work has officially begun on v2.0 and will eventually contain a new CP display engine... trying to solve some geofence anomalies first though.

Adam

Posted on
Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:58 am
MR_ROBOT_ offline

Hi RogueProeliator,

Thanks for getting back to me. In anser to your questions:

• Do you have it set to dim the control page on inactivity?
    Yes, however it also does it with screen dimming set to off.
  • Are there any refreshing images on the page?
    Yes, on my home page i have a Refreshing image URL of my SecuritySpy camera feed via the Cynical SecuritySpy plugin. I have other Control pages that don't have Refreshing URLs and it still happens.
  • Does this happen on a particular page(s) where others do not?
    No, it doesnt matter what Control Page I leave it on the same issue happens.

I am unsure on what else to try, if anyone else has any ideas please let me know.

Great news on v2.0 work being underway! I hope this solves my issues. I understand it is not a small feat to design such a plugin but just wondered if there was an ETA on v2.0?

Thanks
MR_ROBOT_

Posted on
Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:25 pm
racarter offline

I see the full white page every couple of days.

Posted on
Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:00 pm
RogueProeliator offline

The errors for (all) of these are likely being logged, but unfortunately Google changed a few things which caused the log-reading solution that was in place (that was used when submitting a debug report) to stop providing the full logs. I'm planning on replacing it with v2.0 so that these types of issues will be easier to track down.

Based on the answers to those questions, I don't see any particular pattern. It could be a memory issue (running out / leak or something) which hopefully will be addressed with v2.0. But it could be something else that will persist. One of the big goals for v2.0 is to handle some error cases better (logging and general handling) for situations that were not envisioned during initial development/testing a long while back.

There is no estimate, I've had trouble getting consistent time but lately have spent at least SOME time each night. I'm actually tackling the hardest part first which is slower -- I'll have a better feel for an estimate in a couple of weeks. I do hope to put out pre-releases long before an official release,, though, and will announce them on these forums.

Adam

Posted on
Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:01 am
MR_ROBOT_ offline

RogueProeliator wrote:
The errors for (all) of these are likely being logged, but unfortunately Google changed a few things which caused the log-reading solution that was in place (that was used when submitting a debug report) to stop providing the full logs. I'm planning on replacing it with v2.0 so that these types of issues will be easier to track down.

Based on the answers to those questions, I don't see any particular pattern. It could be a memory issue (running out / leak or something) which hopefully will be addressed with v2.0. But it could be something else that will persist. One of the big goals for v2.0 is to handle some error cases better (logging and general handling) for situations that were not envisioned during initial development/testing a long while back.

There is no estimate, I've had trouble getting consistent time but lately have spent at least SOME time each night. I'm actually tackling the hardest part first which is slower -- I'll have a better feel for an estimate in a couple of weeks. I do hope to put out pre-releases long before an official release,, though, and will announce them on these forums.

Adam

Thanks for the info Adam, in the mean time I will continue to try different things to see if i can narrow it down further to help.
All the best for V2.0 development, if you need help trialing it give me a shout.

Thanks

Posted on
Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:36 am
RogueProeliator offline

This will be a bit of a hard question/answer to nail down, but... anyone notice if the white screen / back to listing page happens either faster or more frequently on pages with lots of changes (states/variables) happening? That might would indicate a memory leak -- but if things are not changing often then virtually nothing is taking place.

Posted on
Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:05 am
racarter offline

I have one page showing all the time and it's pretty busy, but I haven't discerned any pattern to the white screen occurrences; sometimes 2-3 times in a day, other times several days without.

One thing I have noticed is that if a value updates it is written onto the white screen.

Posted on
Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:29 am
MR_ROBOT_ offline

RogueProeliator wrote:
This will be a bit of a hard question/answer to nail down, but... anyone notice if the white screen / back to listing page happens either faster or more frequently on pages with lots of changes (states/variables) happening? That might would indicate a memory leak -- but if things are not changing often then virtually nothing is taking place.

I believe there is the option to push a certain CP to DomoPad, so am planning on creating a blank (all black) CP to push during night time to try this theory out (i.e. busy CP with things updating overnight potentially causing memory leak on device).

Obviously I will push my main page back sometime in morning for normal operation again.

I'll let you know result.

Posted on
Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:27 am
racarter offline

I have an overnight blank page. Still get daytime white screens.

Posted on
Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:28 am
MR_ROBOT_ offline

I may be going crazy here...

I tried one more time to disable dimming in DomoPad and over the last 3 days it has not defaulted back to the CP selection screen once.
I had previously tried disabling dimming and it had no effect on my issue but whatever has changed this time seems to have temporarily solved it.

Personally I would prefer dimming to be on but i can live with reducing the brightness of the screen and a blank (black) screen setup over night.

Just thought i'd update anyone following this thread.

Posted on
Sun Dec 08, 2019 12:43 pm
gillekes offline

Hi all,

I’m also having the blank page issue. It started a few months ago (don’t know exactly when) after years of use without problems. Sometimes there are a few days without issue, sometimes it happens several times a day. Sometimes it happens overnight.
I learned that this happens sometimes when nobody is touching the tablet. It also happens when touching the tablet - just touching to wake the tablet out of its dim state. (So no action is happening on Indigo).
I’ll deactivate de dim function to see if this helps.
What I have done so far:
On the Acer
Reinstalled android (4.4.2) and downloaded domopad and installed.
Created a fresh control pages to see if this would help which is not the case. The new controlpage has the same decives etc as the old one.
On the kindle fire 7:
This used to run the same control page as on the Acer and also suffered from the blank pages.
This tablet has been repurposed and is now running a controlpage which has nothing related with the Acer. This page does not use the dim function. The blank page has NOT appeared with this particular control page. Iam using this page for a month or so.

Hope this helps somehow.

Thanks

Gilles

Posted on
Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:15 pm
RogueProeliator offline

Thanks, Gilles... definitely some good information there to digest. Since nothing change on the application recently but this started in the last few months, I tend to wonder if something small or subtle changed in Indigo that I am not handing properly. Of course, can't rule out something totally unrelated but unfortunately with Google depreciating my logging library I am finding it hard to track down. Your information may prove valuable as we work through this in v2 in the near future.

Thanks!
Adam

Page 1 of 1