Web control pages not scaling properly on IOS13

Posted on
Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:06 am
Umtauscher offline

Web control pages not scaling properly on IOS13

After Upgrading my iPads to iOS 13 I found, that the controlpages don‘t scale properly any more.
This is showing on safari, firefox and all app that use the WKWebView.

May iPad controlpages have a width of 2048 pixels (retina) but only the left half ist shown.
Additionally those pages cannot be zoomed in or out any more.
The only apps, that still work are Indigo Touch and Kiosk Pro when set to UIWebView.
So it seems there needs to changed something in the webpages headers, because other sites apart from the Indigo Server don‘t show that problem.
Any help appreciated

Wilhelm

Posted on
Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:48 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Web control pages not scaling properly on IOS13

What specific version of iOS 13 are you running on the iPad?

Jay is trying to reproduce this now with his iPad (updating to the most recent iOS) but I suspect you can get it working correctly by tapping the "aA" button to the left of the URL, selecting Website Settings, then turning OFF the Request Desktop Website option. That option makes the iPad request the Web page using the User Agent of macOS which makes Indigo not add the special zoom/scaling view attributes.

One could argue it isn't very cool that Apple is by default having iPads masquerading as macOS when making requests. There is a lot of chatter online of this causing problems for Web developers that need to know if the request is really coming from an iPad or not.

Posted on
Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:56 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

The option is Request Mobile Website on the aA popup when it's showing the Desktop site

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:02 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

It appears that in the Safari settings, Request Desktop Website is the default now. This is what causes Safari to identify as macOS (it really shouldn't do that). However, if you tap the aA icon in Safari while on your Indigo Touch web page, not only can you request the Mobile Website, which will make it work, but you can also tap the Website Settings at the bottom of that dialog and turn off Request Desktop Website. From that point on whenever you go to a URL on that host it will load the mobile site (correctly identifying as iPad).

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:08 am
Umtauscher offline

Thanks for your hints.
Unfortunately this makes the whole thing quite unpredictable.
First the safari setting are global and seem to set the default for all apps using the webcontrol.
Secondly I cannot set change this on my kiosk app.
I am using 13.2.3 at the moment btw.
I will report back, when I have more played with this.
Cheers
Wilhelm

Posted on
Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:32 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Your Kiosk app needs / should have the option to set (or override) the User Agent correctly as well. Unfortunately, there is nothing we can do on the backend in Indigo to tell the difference between a Mac running Safari and an iPad claiming it is a Mac running Safari.

Posted on
Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:56 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Umtauscher wrote:
First the safari setting are global and seem to set the default for all apps using the webcontrol.

As I explained above, you can use the Website Settings option to direct Safari to always identify itself as an iPad when opening any URLs on the specified hostname. If you're using a reflector, it would be the reflector name. If you're connecting locally, it would be however you're connecting: either using the MACHINENAME.local host name or the IP if you're using that (and you can set them all).

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:13 am
Umtauscher offline

Yes, thanks Jay, unfortunately that doesn't work in an app that uses the WKWebView - now matter what is set in Safari.
That means firefox or any kiosk application still uses the desktop view, no matter what I set in Safari.
Cheers
Wilhelm

Posted on
Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:26 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Apps that use WKWebView have control over setting the User Agent. So this sounds like a feature request for them to add back having iPads reporting that they are actually iPads and not Macs.

Posted on
Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:31 am
Umtauscher offline

Yes Matt, I realize that.
I just hate when Apple decides to change defaults for no reason and everyone has to follow...
I understand that you can do nothing about that.
Thanks

Wilhelm

Posted on
Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:35 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Totally agree with you on that. Apple has been making lots of decisions lately that make developing software for their platforms much more difficult than it needs to be.

Page 1 of 1