Question about this plug-ins JSON capability

Posted on
Tue Oct 29, 2019 2:46 pm
norcoscia offline

Question about this plug-ins JSON capability

Hi Dave, sorry to be so dense but no matter how many times I google JSON I just don't understand it.

Anyway, I found a really cool video processor and it uses an application called telegram to send me alerts (along with email). I really like the telegram service, it is fast and free and supports animated Gifs (much better than pushover IMHO) and works on about every platform. Telegram has an API and I noticed it mentions JSON.

So I was wondering if there is a way to glue indigo to telegram via your plug-in? The telegram JSON info is located at the link below.

https://core.telegram.org/schema

And the cool video processor I was talking about is below (in case you are interested).

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=23104&p=183744#p183741

Let me know if this plug-in can connect Indigo with telegram when you get a free second, and again -- sorry I'm not smart enough to figure it out w/o some help :-(

_______
Norm

Posted on
Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:12 pm
DaveL17 offline

Re: Question about this plug-ins JSON capability

Hi Norm - no worries. The GhostXML plugin would be able to access the API you linked to, but I don't think it would be of much use to you. The website talks about using it to build standalone Telegram clients -- which the GhostXML plugin is not designed to be. It will give you a lot of data, but I don't think that's what you want. What this API looks extremely useful for is a custom plugin designed to interact with the system and provide levels of control. I am not volunteering to write that. :D

My advice is to try the plugin with the API for your account (don't use 'https' and instead use 'http') and see if the custom states will be useful to you. I suspect it's going to be a lot of noise, but not a lot of signal.

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:21 pm
howartp offline

Hi Norm

Dave got in before me whilst I was reading.

GhostXML retrieves data, either in XML format or JSON format, from other websites, then creates device states with those values.

Very similar to how the Sense plugin works, to give you something to compare to.

Telegram on the other hand requires JSON putting into it (not fetching from it), with the values you want to send yourself being submitted in JSON format to Telegram.

What you need, and someone might take you up on it, is a Telegram plug-in writing using its published API. That should be doable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Posted on
Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:13 am
norcoscia offline

Thanks guys now I understand - I wish Jay and Matt would set up some type of go fund me mechanism on the indigo web site. A place where folks could request a plug-in and then others could see it and ask for it / sign up for it. Maybe with a way to pledge for dollars - that way users (with the ability to write plug-ins) could gauge interest.

I actually asked my wife yesterday it I could offer one of you guys a Camect (that I would pre order) if one of you took on a Camect plug-in - then I took 2 steps back so the NO would not hurt my ears. Maybe when my social security kicks in I'll ask he again :-)

She has been handling all the communication (since we are beta testers) - I'll ask hear to see if the Camect developer would give a big discount for someone willing to write an Indigo plug-in. Worth a try...

_______
Norm

Posted on
Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:18 am
howartp offline

I think the best you’re going to get is:

viewforum.php?f=119

Ask in there and someone like FlyingDiver might be interested.

Posted on
Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:45 am
norcoscia offline

Thanks, I have never seen that section as best I can remember!!!

_______
Norm

Posted on
Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:49 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Note also that many of the plugin developers have added their Paypay.me account to their developer account such that you can make financial donations to them via the plugin's store page. For instance, Check out the GhostXML page (Show your appreciation link).

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:56 am
norcoscia offline

Thanks for reminding me Jay - GhostXML is how I got my new weather station working with Indigo - I just sent Dave my allowance for the week :-)

_______
Norm

Posted on
Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:39 pm
DaveL17 offline

norcoscia wrote:
I just sent Dave my allowance for the week :-)

Thanks Norm. Very much appreciated.

I'm jealous because I don't get an allowance! :D

Posted on
Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:41 pm
DaveL17 offline

I should hasten to add that berkinet, GlennNZ, and howartp have also contributed to the development of the GhostXML plugin.

Posted on
Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:12 am
howartp offline

It’s still your plugin and original idea, and you keep revising the core code - probably in line with your other plugin structures - we just tweak, break and provide suggestions, plus help to other users.

Posted on
Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:44 am
DaveL17 offline

howartp wrote:
It’s still your plugin and original idea, and you keep revising the core code - probably in line with your other plugin structures - we just tweak, break and provide suggestions, plus help to other users.

Too kind.

At work, I'm a manager and exceptionally good at coming up with grandiose ideas with no bloody idea how to implement them properly. In fact, I tell every new employee that I'm a sea gull--I fly in, crap all over everything, and then fly away. :D

Posted on
Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:48 am
norcoscia offline

Funny, I was a manager too - when someone would ask me for help I would say "sure - but I'll only make it worse" - also, the folks that worked for me often said - good thing I have a tie on everyday - using it was the only way they could pull my head out of my A$$ :-)

_______
Norm

Posted on
Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:23 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

DaveL17 wrote:
At work, I'm a manager and exceptionally good at coming up with grandiose ideas with no bloody idea how to implement them properly. In fact, I tell every new employee that I'm a sea gull--I fly in, crap all over everything, and then fly away. :D

As a former VP of Engineering, I concur that it's definitely part of the job to push your teams to achieve more.

Matt and I have LOTS of grandiose ideas, as do many of you. Unfortunately, we also have to do the other part of the management responsibilities: help filter those ideas into what's actually achievable and what's most important to customers, all the while making sure that whatever is done is with high quality and maintainability in mind. And, in larger organizations, transparency throughout the rest of the organization.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:10 pm
DaveL17 offline

jay (support) wrote:
Matt and I have LOTS of grandiose ideas, as do many of you. Unfortunately, we also have to do the other part of the management responsibilities: help filter those ideas into what's actually achievable and what's most important to customers, all the while making sure that whatever is done is with high quality and maintainability in mind. And, in larger organizations, transparency throughout the rest of the organization.

So let me guess. You tell Matt what to do and he tells you what to do?

Page 1 of 1