Catalina & Airfoil Pro

Posted on
Sun Oct 27, 2019 2:20 am
marketability offline

Catalina & Airfoil Pro

I made the mistake of thinking I was both clever and brave and upgraded my server to Catalina - mistake
It breaks iTunes control and Airfoil I think
Has anyone managed to get the airfoil plugin working to display track information,. etc.
TIA

PS I'm going to drink coffee - it might make me feel better about my foolhardiness

Posted on
Sun Oct 27, 2019 2:41 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Catalina & Airfoil Pro

I'm pretty sure the new Music app doesn't allow authentication of remote clients like iTunes did (which is how the plugin works). The iTunes plugin continues to work against iTunes running on other Macs.

At some point in the future, we'll stop including the plugin with the Indigo install. And since there isn't an official way to remotely control the Music app, it's unlikely we'll have anything to replace it unfortunately.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Sun Oct 27, 2019 3:09 pm
marketability offline

Thanks Jay
Looks like I'll be downgrading MacOS
grrrr.... my love for apple is diminished!

Posted on
Sun Oct 27, 2019 4:17 pm
durosity offline

marketability wrote:
Thanks Jay
Looks like I'll be downgrading MacOS
grrrr.... my love for apple is diminished!

So I've not yet experimented with this yet as I've been doing a huge amount of catchup on other stuff but one thought was.. can it be done via AppleScript? Dougscripts has loads of scripts that are currently being re-written for the Music app, and while Indigo 7.4 deprecates AppleScripts internally it can still run them externally I believe.. so would it be possible to run something from here https://dougscripts.com/itunes/scripts/scripts02.php as a few actions in Indigo? The old iTunes plugin was pretty limited in what it could do.. I'm wondering if this may be a more flexible option?

Also FWIW my experience with Catalina on my server has so far actually been better than Mojave. A lot of odd USB issues I was having with things like my label printer, UPSes, my RFXCOM and Z-Stick have been fixed, I actually prefer the separation of music and tv apps (my movie db in iTunes is about 16tb which meant every time I search for a song it took a LOOOOONNNNGGGG time) and generally things feel more polished. That's not to say it's perfect.. I've had weird random lockup issues and it took some fiddling to get my ancient drobopro to play nicely with it all.. but on the whole I've found it better than the previous few releases.

I'm hoping next year apple does a snow-leopard kinda release.. massive work on fixing legacy issues, improving efficiency, etc rather than throwing new features at it. Although that said I'm hoping for the shortcuts app to officially come to macOS.. (preferably with some integration with native Mac apps)

Computer says no.

Posted on
Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:07 am
marketability offline

I like Catalina generally, like you say it fixes quite a few issues and seems pretty snappy, performance wise
I think it's my Python illiteracy that's going to hold me back
I have moved lots of applescripts external but am struggling to understand passing Indigo variables to/from those scripts and in handling some of the basic information I used to get about current tracks from the airfoil and iTunes plugins

I'll get there I suspect... but it may be some time :-)

Posted on
Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:29 pm
durosity offline

Just noticed that a new Airfoil has been released with control of the music app and the new tv app... perhaps this could replace the iTunes plugin?

Computer says no.

Posted on
Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:58 pm
Different Computers offline

durosity wrote:
Just noticed that a new Airfoil has been released with control of the music app and the new tv app... perhaps this could replace the iTunes plugin?

But does it support stereo HomePods?

Please let the answer be yes. I miss AirFoil, but not enough to give up stereo.

EDIT: there is no mention in the release notes of stereo AirPlay support. And I think they would trumpet this to the heavens if they had it. :(

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:18 pm
durosity offline

Different Computers wrote:
EDIT: there is no mention in the release notes of stereo AirPlay support. And I think they would trumpet this to the heavens if they had it. :(

I guess it requires airplay 2 that they've not yet cracked afaik!

Computer says no.

Posted on
Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:34 am
Different Computers offline

Exciting news on this front, assuming Rogue Amoeba is able to leverage this: https://9to5mac.com/2019/12/05/airplay-2-cracked/

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:57 am
durosity offline

Yeah I'm hoping they'll be able to use that. I'm also kinda hoping based on the wording of that that they'll be able to read data about what's streaming even if you're not doing it via airfoil.. as in airplay from your phone directly to the device, or even just seeing what's playing on a HomePod directly. The cherry on top would be if you could even control that..

Wishful thinking probably..

Computer says no.

Page 1 of 1