Posted on
Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:38 am
autolog offline

Re: Alexa says all devices are not responding

Barnman wrote:
Alexa app

Ah, OK :)

Well I am at a loss now :?

I will await feedback from your echo disconnection test when you get home later. :)

Posted on
Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:39 am
Barnman offline

autolog wrote:
Barnman wrote:
Alexa app

I will await feedback from your echo disconnection test when you get home later. :)

Ok, crossing my fingers!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:42 am
Barnman offline

I feel like all my devices aren’t really deleted, every single one still says “doesn’t support that” but when I put in other names it says “couldn’t find a device named whatever I said”

Posted on
Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:57 am
autolog offline

Yes - that is the suspicion I have. :)

Posted on
Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:05 pm
kwijibo007 offline

I've been hit twice by this issue, one at my house and again at my parents house. Two seperate Indigo / Amazon / Alexa setups. At my house I was able to kick it back into gear by restarting everything and re-discovering devices. At my parents house I had a harder time. I had some of the symptoms listed in this topic (not all) but I had other strangeness too. The Alexa "device" was working in the sense that it was online and responding to non smart home requests (weather - set reminder - music, etc) but from the Alexa app and alexa.amazon.com web app the Alexa "device" was listed as offline. I was trying to "forget" all the Hue devices (as suggested in this topic) but none were listed in the web app. It appeared that I had no devices. From the iPhone app they were present and listed as "not responding".

Coincidentally, it was Father's Day in Aus over the weekend and I had a *new (2nd Gen) Alexa dot for Dad. As the existing Dot was listed as "offline" I wondered what would happen if I added the new one - it fixed everything. I did a discovery and all was well.

I'm wondering if you wanted to trying removing one or all of your Alexa devices (preferably a 1st/2nd Gen one) and adding it back in (https://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-remove-alexa-devices-from-your-account/). Just a suggestion - YMMV :?

Posted on
Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:59 pm
Barnman offline

kwijibo007 wrote:
I've been hit twice by this issue, one at my house and again at my parents house. Two seperate Indigo / Amazon / Alexa setups. At my house I was able to kick it back into gear by restarting everything and re-discovering devices. At my parents house I had a harder time. I had some of the symptoms listed in this topic (not all) but I had other strangeness too. The Alexa "device" was working in the sense that it was online and responding to non smart home requests (weather - set reminder - music, etc) but from the Alexa app and alexa.amazon.com web app the Alexa "device" was listed as offline. I was trying to "forget" all the Hue devices (as suggested in this topic) but none were listed in the web app. It appeared that I had no devices. From the iPhone app they were present and listed as "not responding".

Coincidentally, it was Father's Day in Aus over the weekend and I had a *new (2nd Gen) Alexa dot for Dad. As the existing Dot was listed as "offline" I wondered what would happen if I added the new one - it fixed everything. I did a discovery and all was well.

I'm wondering if you wanted to trying removing one or all of your Alexa devices (preferably a 1st/2nd Gen one) and adding it back in (https://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-remove-alexa-devices-from-your-account/). Just a suggestion - YMMV :?

Thank you for the reply. This is exhausting!!!

Posted on
Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:01 pm
Barnman offline

autolog wrote:
Barnman wrote:
Alexa app

My test did not help at all. I even tried adding a device that I never had used with Alexa and that didn’t work either. She doesn’t even recognize I added that one

Posted on
Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:43 pm
Barnman offline

so I have been reading and it seems about the same time a few of us using this plugin started having issues is right when they updated the echo devices. I had one gen 2 that I wasn’t using during the update time period. So I thought I should use that one to try and discover new devices. That dot is showing a different software then my other one. But when I tell her to discover new devices, she says she is unable to do that

Posted on
Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:09 pm
Barnman offline

I got it, at least for now! So I wasn’t able to discover on that device because free time was enabled, it use to be in my sons room.
So after I turned that off, it discovered my devices!!! I guess until it updates the software.

Posted on
Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:09 pm
fyellin offline

I started a different thread, but got sent here.

I seem to be having a similar problem. My bridge just stopped working all of the sudden.

• After several hours of debugging, I upgraded the bridge to v3.0.34, but that didn't change anything.
  • The bridge server logs, on startup, are showing the right IP address and port.
  • On a different device on the network, I can browse to http://ip:port. I get a message telling me that I'm talking to a Hue bridge.
  • When I run a "discovery" from my v1 echo, I see absolutely nothing in the logs (which are set to debug).
  • When I tell Alexa to turn on a light, I see absolutely nothing in the logs

So it feels like the bridge is working, but somehow Alexa doesn't know how to talk to it.

• Is there someway to find out what Alexa thinks "Den Ceiling" is, and who it is trying to talk to?
  • Is there some Alexa simulator I can use to test the bridge? Try running the moral equivalent of "Turn on the den ceiling" and see if the Hue bridge is responding correctly?

All in all, it feels like Alexa is working correctly, and the bridge is working correctly, but somehow they're on different planets.

Posted on
Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:30 pm
autolog offline

How many Echos / Dots do you have and what are their firmware versions?

If you have defined an Alexa-Hue Bridge Amazon Echo Device (via the New... on the main Indigo Device page), it might show you which Amazon Echo is interacting with the plugin.

You could try some solutions already mentioned on this thread e.g.:
  • disconnect all Echos accept your Gen 1
  • use the alexa website at alexa.amazon.com (or equivalent) to forget all devices
  • reload the plugin
  • Ask Alexa to do a discovery
Let us know how you get on. :)

Posted on
Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:31 pm
Barnman offline

Do you have any 1st generation echo devices?

Posted on
Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:18 pm
fyellin offline

Answering questions from both of the previous posts.

1) I have one Echo 1 and three Echo 2's. I'm not sure how to find out their firmware versions. I don't see any obvious place to find that information on the App or Web.

2) I'm terrified of asking Alexa to forget all devices, since discovery doesn't work. Yes, I know to do discovery only from the Echo 1.
As an experiment, I unplugged all the devices except for the Echo 1. (Even my Fire TV.) . I added a new device to one of my bridges, and then asked the Echo 1 to do a discovery. Nothing.

3) The plugin has been reloaded several times already. I've also updated it to the new version.

4) I've renamed the indigo-server, rebooted it, renamed it back, rebooted it. No change.

5) I've turned off the bridge server or fifteen minutes, and then turned it back on. No change.

6) I even rebooted my router (a Google Wifi) to make sure there wasn't something strange going on. It seems fine. I also made sure it hadn't gotten a software update in the last few weeks.

I'm very frustrated. I've gotten quite addicted to turning lights on and off with my voice!

Posted on
Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:40 pm
Barnman offline

Stupid question I only ask because I see a lot of people making the mistake, does your gen 1 have just two buttons on it? And you turn the outer rim for volume adjustment?

Posted on
Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:50 pm
fyellin offline

Four buttons, and a mini-USB power supply.

This is the device I always used for discovery, with no problems.

Is there a particular reason you're asking?