Alexa no longer discovering Indigo installed/managed devices

Posted on
Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:33 pm
autolog offline

Re: Alexa no longer discovering Indigo installed/managed dev

One of my three Echo Dots had been mothballed and I dug it out this afternoon to assist with my testing.
It had Firmware= 608490720 which obviously was well out of date.

So I forced a Firmware update. I think you can tell Alexa to do it but I just held the microphone disable button down for thirty seconds until the red ring went off and released the button when the blue ring appeared. It updated the firmware to 641575220. That was late this afternoon.

It could be of course that there is different firmware for different regions? :)

Posted on
Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:37 pm
Barnman offline

autolog wrote:
One of my three Echo Dots had been mothballed and I dug it out this afternoon to assist with my testing.
It had Firmware= 608490720 which obviously was well out of date.

So I forced a Firmware update. I think you can tell Alexa to do it but I just held the microphone disable button down for thirty seconds until the red ring went off and released the button when the blue ring appeared. It updated the firmware to 641575220. That was late this afternoon.

It could be of course that there is different firmware for different regions? :)

My software version for the echo that got mine back working was the same at 641575220, this one was not connected when my other updated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:50 pm
Barnman offline

jay (support) wrote:
autolog wrote:
It almost seems that Alexa has decided that a specific Echo Dot will be used for all commands sent to the Alexa-Hue Bridge plugin and if it isn't online or has issues it won't work with any other. For the most part this won't be a problem until the specific Echo Dot / Echo that Alexa is using goes pear shaped. This could explain why some users are seeing issues and (I hope) the majority aren't.

Unfortunately, that doesn't quite explain it I don't think. My nephew has a gen2 dot and a gen2 echo. It worked for a year, now it doesn't any more (no change other than presumably firmware versions). I'm doing some diagnostics with him as well so we'll see.

three Dots (Gen 2) [Firmware=641575220]

So, there's definitely a difference. His gen2 dot has 645582720.

Is your nephew local to you? I wonder if you could deregister yours, and try it on his system, and see if it comes up working?
I tried deregistering mine yesterday before I got it working, and it did not try and update it

Posted on
Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:11 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Barnman wrote:
Is your nephew local to you? I wonder if you could deregister yours, and try it on his system, and see if it comes up working?
I tried deregistering mine yesterday before I got it working, and it did not try and update it

I am, understandably I think, a bit concerned about making any changes to my environment (since I'm still working). I'm working with him to see if his issue is something different. If we can't get it working for him, I might try a swap with one of my gen1 echos and see if we can get him up and running again.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Wed Sep 04, 2019 4:57 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Tried everything with my nephew - bottom line is that discovery works, control does not. So not sure what's going on really. If I get a chance, I may swap out my gen1 with his gen2 dot to see if that makes any difference, but that won't happen very soon (busy on Indigo 7.4).

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:57 pm
wormhole offline

How do we determine this? Back to no longer working.

Posted on
Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:58 pm
wormhole offline

I have 6 Echos. Five dots and a show. Some of the Echos are 644 some are 641 and the show is 645

For the record forgetting all devices and rediscovering finds them, however when using Echos for voice command the response is always[device name] is not responding please check its internet connection

Posted on
Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:37 am
eric offline

I wanted to add to the conversation that as of two days ago my commands stopped working as well, spontaneously, with no changes to the Alexa/Hue setup.

Discovery still seems to work, just not the commands.

Please let me know if there is anything I can provide in terms of logs (though the logs are sadly blank when issuing commands - they don't seem to get to Indigo at all) or system configuration.

I have a complex Indigo setup with 200 devices, 230 triggers etc.

I also run two Alexa/Hue Bridge devices for about 40 commands total, one for 20 scenes and one for 20 actions.

Needless to say this quite adversely affects the lifestyle to which I have become accustomed!

Posted on
Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:54 am
autolog offline

Hi Eric,
What version Echos have you got and what version of the firmware?

Posted on
Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:00 am
netik offline

I'm in the same boat. I've tried removing the device again and again, I can prove that my responder is up and running, network is fine, and I can't make it go.

Like everyone else, I have an echo dot 2 at firmware rev 644580520.
That rev stopped working

I also have a firecube. I'm guessing the auto update killed it for me.

Any thoughts?

Posted on
Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:04 am
netik offline

Oh, and if it helps, many other people are experiencing this as well on other software emulations!

https://community.home-assistant.io/sea ... c%3A133956

Posted on
Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:56 am
Barnman offline

wormhole wrote:
I have 6 Echos. Five dots and a show. Some of the Echos are 644 some are 641 and the show is 645

For the record forgetting all devices and rediscovering finds them, however when using Echos for voice command the response is always[device name] is not responding please check its internet connection

Mine was a similar issue. Using the alexa descktop website, i forgot all devices, I unplugged all echos and shows except one gen 2 dot with the 641 software, discovered new devices, , it came up working, then I plugged in all the other echos and shows, and it has been working since.

Last edited by Barnman on Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Posted on
Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:01 am
wormhole offline

I’ve tried all of this. Discovery works it’s just I get the device not responding error for every device.

Posted on
Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:02 am
Barnman offline

wormhole wrote:
I’ve tried all of this. Discovery works it’s just I get the device not responding error for every device.

did you forget all devices in the alexa webpage? Also make sure you are telling Alexa to discover new devices, dont use the app.

Posted on
Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:24 am
wormhole offline

Yes. Forgot all devices via Alexa.amazon.com. Waited five or so minutes. Then discovered. Again the devices are discovered however there is no “on/off” switch next to them in the Alexa app and when I say “Alexa turn on/off [device]” Alexa responds “[device] is not responding. Please check the devices connectivity”. And then in the Alexa app is shows a red dot and “device malfunction”

Page 4 of 24 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 24