Z-Wave thermostat recomendations

Posted on
Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:27 am
peszko offline

Z-Wave thermostat recomendations

I'm looking to replace my insteon thermostat with a z-wave one. My current one works ok, but there are several issues that I want resolved, and I'm also moving to z-wave so thinking its a good time to look at tone. The current issue with the insteon thermostat is that sometimes it reports 0 as the set point rather then the correct one. It also always returns 0 when queried. The other issue is that it has a 1 degree grace, that is if I set it to 24 and its 25 it will not start cooling until it gets 26 and then it will keep cooling till its 23. that's a 3 degree spread that I don't want (reversed when heating).

So here are couple wants needs in a thermostat.

Small unobtrusive.
Reports temperature correctly (of course)
Wired (don't like dependence on batteries)
Reports humidity
No leeway in temperature (ie. Starts cooling/heating as soon as set temperature lower or higher then set)
Reliable (of course)
Works with Indigo (of course)

I was looking at Trane 524 as a reasonable choice? Any comments?

Posted on
Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:08 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Z-Wave thermostat recomendations

I have two of those and they are extremely reliable - I switched from Insteon thermostats (and a brief time with a Honeywell WiFi which was very unreliable as it relied on the cloud) and have never regretted it.

Note that all thermostats have protections - which is what your seeing - to avoid wear/damage that quick temp cycling could cause. I don't know that the Trane is any better/worse than the Insteon thermostat in this respect.

They are about the same size as the Insteon thermostats.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:45 am
peszko offline

Do the z-wave thermostat have the same client ui on IOS as the Insteon ones? I wouldn't want to create a custom interface for it.

Posted on
Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:54 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

peszko wrote:
Do the z-wave thermostat have the same client ui on IOS as the Insteon ones? I wouldn't want to create a custom interface for it.

Yes.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:00 am
DaveL17 offline

I have two Trane 624s and they have been extremely solid. The only issue I've had is with one of them. When the power has been cut to the HVAC system (like for service), the Z-Wave communication does not come back up on its own and I sometimes find that I have to power cycle the thermostat to restore Z-Wave. This situation doesn't happen during a power outage (my whole-home generator kicks on in roughly 15 seconds)--I think the power needs to be out for a bit longer at least for the condition to present itself.

I also recommend Trane thermostats.

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:58 pm
dduff617 offline

I had similar experience you describe with older Insteon thermostats. I landed on Nest for a while, but definitely would not reccommend them at at this point. Here's my experience with Z-wave thermostats:

Radio Thermostat CT100-plus. Z-wave plus unit. I started out liking this, however to my disappointment, over time I discovered the unit would not reliably communicate updates of the HVAC device state (like whether it was currently heating/cooling or not) to Indigo. Reports humidity. Awkward setup process. Not recommended.

Honeywell Lyric Pro T6 Z-Wave thermostat. Honeywell takes thermostats seriously. This is a solid unit. Looks good, works well. Nothing super-fancy, but this is a feature-complete solid unit. Z-wave plus. Reports humidity. Smooth linking/setup process. I think this checks most of your requirements. Medium-small size. See their user guide (especially the "pro install" section) for info on settings that relate to deadband.

Posted on
Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:20 am
degreecy offline

I can recommend the Z-Wave TKB Thermostat V5.

https://www.vesternet.com/products/z-wa ... o_s=gplauk

Detected by Indigodomo and works very well.

Posted on
Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:04 pm
peszko offline

I went with the Trane 524. So far works great. It also has half degree increments, so the on/off temperature range is smaller. Bonus.

Posted on
Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:24 pm
Dual offline

peszko wrote:
I went with the Trane 524. So far works great.

Good to hear. I purchased one to install at the house we just bought. If all goes well I will get a couple more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 1