Strange iPhone / Airfoil / Remote behavior

Posted on
Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:00 pm
jltnol offline

Strange iPhone / Airfoil / Remote behavior

Soooo this just started happening recently, and am not sure where /when or how. I did upgrade to the latest version of Airfoil recently and am up to date with both the MacOS as well as the iOS.. BUT, whenever I launch the AirFoil Remote app from my phone which controls the Airfoil app on my desktop, the Indigo AirFoil plugin creates a new "device" with a number at the end as in the pic below. I had over a dozen from my phone.

The same thing happens with my iPod. ... While my iPhone USED to show up as a "speaker" with no numbers, all I get now is an entry with all the numbers.

The Airfoil App on my desktop shows the iPhone entry with all the numbers.....

Not the end of the world, but curious.. I can use the "Delete Speaker" option in the plugin, but have to do one at a time...

And last piece of info... with the Indigo Airfoil Plugin disabled, the same thing still happens in the desktop app... the phone shows up with a bunch of numbers, so I'm going to guess this is a problem with Airfoil, and not Indigo... Will keep you posted if I find out what's going on...

Posted on
Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:49 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Strange iPhone / Airfoil / Remote behavior

It appears that they changed how airfoil remote speakers are represented, and that change propagated into their API (and thus the plugin).

To clarify: every time you stop then start Airfoil Speakers on an iOS device it generates a new one? That implies that they generate a new unique ID every time it starts up - which is a Bad Thing™...

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:22 pm
jltnol offline

So we're talking semantics here... but on the iOS app called "Satellite", whenever I open the app to control the desktop app, it generates a new "device" in Indigo.

And I did hear back from Rogue Amoeba. Seems there is a bug, so we'll just have to wait for a fix. Here is their reply:

Thanks for getting in touch with us. Yes, what you're seeing is a bug in the latest update when it comes to displaying the names of Airfoil Satellite instances - I've added your info to our internal tracking case for the bug so we can let you know about any potential fixes that come up in the future.

Stay tuned for that, and do let us know if you come across anything else.

Hopefully there will be a fix soon![/quote]

Posted on
Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:01 pm
jltnol offline

For anyone else with this problem, Rouge has issued an update to Airfoil which fixes this problem.. :)

Posted on
Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:20 pm
Korey offline

jltnol wrote:
For anyone else with this problem, Rouge has issued an update to Airfoil which fixes this problem.. :)

Thanks!

I had been wondering what was going on with all new "Speakers" that had popped up in Indigo, Just hadn't had time to look into it.

Now if there was and easy way to delete multiple Airfoil Speakers from the Indigo Plugin at once.. I think I have over 50 of these to delete. :shock:

--
Korey

Posted on
Sat Aug 03, 2019 1:47 am
howartp offline

Korey wrote:
Now if there was and easy way to delete multiple Airfoil Speakers from the Indigo Plugin at once.. I think I have over 50 of these to delete. :shock:

How have I only just noticed you can’t multi-select in Indigo?

Jay?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Posted on
Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:59 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Can someone clarify please? You can select multiple items in the the devices (triggers, schedules, etc) in Indigo, so I must be missing something...

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Sat Aug 03, 2019 11:30 am
howartp offline

It may be because I’m on a remote connection (Splashtop) but I couldn’t get it to multi select in devices.

I thus assumed from previous posters comment that you couldn’t...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Posted on
Sat Aug 03, 2019 12:04 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

howartp wrote:
It may be because I’m on a remote connection (Splashtop) but I couldn’t get it to multi select in devices.

I thus assumed from previous posters comment that you couldn’t...

No, that would definitely be a big issue.

I do know what @Korey is talking about though after rereading and thinking more on it: there's a menu item in the Airfoil Pro plugin to permanently delete a speaker device. Because speaker devices are children of an Airfoil Instance device, you can't delete them in the Indigo Devices list without deleting the parent device and it's children (by design to avoid unintentional orphaned devices). That menu item opens a dialog with a popup so you can only delete one at a time.

Because permanently deleting an airfoil speaker device will never allow that device to be recreated without deleting/recreating it's parent device, and because deleting an individual speaker is something that under normal circumstances shouldn't happen very often, I chose a popup rather than a list to help avoid unintended deletions. In this case, where there was a bug in Airfoil and it caused multiple devices to be deleted, that's somewhat cumbersome.

For anyone suffering this issue, particularly if they have tons of errant speaker devices, it might be easier just to start over. I'm not sure you can easily tell which of those speaker devices is the "real" one vs which ones are the bug-generated ones, so trying to figure out which ones are working correctly as configured in actions/triggers, etc., is going to be difficult anyway. Sorry to say, but that bug in Airfoil was really disruptive but there's not much we can do from our side to help deal with it.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:02 am
jltnol offline

Since this issued reared its ugly head, I had been deleting my rouge speakers occasionally... I think the most I had at once as 18. But over the course of the few weeks this has been a problem, I probably deleted speakers many times... in total, I have no idea, but a lot.

The ability to select more than one to delete would make this easy... but in the big picture, this is an issue not caused by Indigo, and for Airfoil, is probably an issue that won't ever happen agin, and I appreciate the idea that "one at a time" is a good thing. I use Airfoil in a bunch of Triggers and Actions, so starting over, for me, would be more of a headache than deleting the rouge speakers individually. :)

Moving on...

Page 1 of 1