Install problems

Posted on
Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:42 pm
jdxs offline

Install problems

I have been struggling for a few days trying to get Indigo to co-exist with Alexa.
I have now purchased a gen2 Alexa dot after reports that the gen 3 devices were incompatible but no success. This is what I get after starting the plugin:

Enabling plugin "Alexa-Hue Bridge 3.0.29"
Starting plugin "Alexa-Hue Bridge 3.0.29" (pid 12490)
Alexa-Hue Bridge Alexa-Hue Bridge initialising . . .
Alexa-Hue Bridge Plugin Host IP Address is discovered as: '192.168.1.10'
Alexa-Hue Bridge Alexa discovery request logging enabled
Alexa-Hue Bridge Warning Debugging enabled for Alexa-Hue Bridge: General, Server, Broadcaster, Responder, non-Echo Network Filter, Method Trace
Started plugin "Alexa-Hue Bridge 3.0.29"
Alexa-Hue Bridge Alexa-Hue Bridge initialization complete
Alexa-Hue Bridge Error Alexa-Hue Bridge 'Alexa 1' at address - none - either has an invalid address or invalid port 8178 - specify in Device Config
Z-Wave received "Pool light" energy total to 23.761 kWh
Z-Wave received "Pool light" power load to 16.506 W
Alexa-Hue Bridge Alexa-Hue Bridge checking network access by attempting to access 'www.google.com'
Alexa-Hue Bridge Alexa-Hue Bridge network access check to www.google.com successfully completed.

The host address is correct. I have also tried manually entering the address of the iMac where Indigo and the plugin reside.
So don't know what the error - including address - none - is referring to.

If I turn discovery of the 'Alexa 1' device on, I get:

Alexa-Hue Bridge sent "Alexa 1" Discovery on
Alexa-Hue Bridge Error StandardError detected in Broadcaster.Init for 'Alexa 1'. Line '79' has error=''port''
Alexa-Hue Bridge Error StandardError detected in Broadcaster.Run for 'Alexa 1'. Line '91' has error=''discoveryExpiration''
Alexa-Hue Bridge Error StandardError detected in Responder.Init for 'Alexa 1'. Line '132' has error=''port''

Alexa-Hue Bridge Starting Hue Bridge 'Alexa 1' discovery threads as 'Turn On Discovery' requested
Alexa-Hue Bridge Error StandardError detected in Responder.Run for 'Alexa 1'. Line '150' has error=''discoveryExpiration''
Alexa-Hue Bridge Error Error in plugin execution ServerReplacedElem:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/Library/Application Support/Perceptive Automation/Indigo 7.3/IndigoPluginHost.app/Contents/Resources/PlugIns/plugin_base.py", line 1165, in deviceUpdated
File "plugin.py", line 562, in didDeviceCommPropertyChange
KeyError: ('forceDeviceStopStart',)

I have tried Asking Alexa to discover devices but it does not find any.

Many thanks for any and all suggestions....

Posted on
Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:41 am
autolog offline

Re: Install problems

Not sure what has happened here. :?

The Alexa-Hue Bridge device appears to have an invalid device address.

I suggest that you delete the device and recreate it. The default is auto for the device port allocation. If that doesn't work, try specifying 8178 as the port number. :)

Posted on
Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:57 am
jdxs offline

Many thanks for the quick response.
I have removed the device and the plugin and recreated.
I have no idea where it found the 10.211.55.2 IP address - unless this is the public side of the WAN.
I changed the address to the local machine running the indigo server and plugin - 192.168.1.10.
At least no errors and the device (via edit) showed a port of 8178 that appears to be expected.
I added one Indigo device - a pool light.
The long showed:

Jul 26, 2019 at 1:22:45 PM
Z-Wave sent "Pool light" on
Z-Wave received "Pool light" power load to 17.087 W
Z-Wave sent "Pool light" status request
Z-Wave sent "Pool light" energy status request
Z-Wave received "Pool light" power load to 16.630 W
Enabling plugin "Alexa-Hue Bridge 3.0.29"
Starting plugin "Alexa-Hue Bridge 3.0.29" (pid 15373)
Alexa-Hue Bridge Alexa-Hue Bridge initialising . . .
Alexa-Hue Bridge Plugin Host IP Address is discovered as: '10.211.55.2'
Alexa-Hue Bridge Warning Debugging enabled for Alexa-Hue Bridge: General, Server, Broadcaster, Responder, non-Echo Network Filter, Method Trace
Started plugin "Alexa-Hue Bridge 3.0.29"
Alexa-Hue Bridge Alexa-Hue Bridge initialization complete
Alexa-Hue Bridge Alexa-Hue Bridge checking network access by attempting to access 'www.google.com'
Alexa-Hue Bridge Alexa-Hue Bridge network access check to www.google.com successfully completed.

Jul 26, 2019 at 1:24:23 PM
Alexa-Hue Bridge 'new device' updated and now has one Alexa Device published
Alexa-Hue Bridge 'new device' has one Alexa Device published
Alexa-Hue Bridge Starting Hue Bridge 'new device' web server thread
Alexa-Hue Bridge Starting Hue Bridge 'new device' discovery thread as 'Auto Start Discovery' requested
Alexa-Hue Bridge Alexa-Hue Bridge 'new device' started: Host: 10.211.55.2 Port: 8178

Jul 26, 2019 at 1:26:35 PM
Z-Wave received "Pool light" energy total to 23.788 kWh
Z-Wave received "Pool light" power load to 16.888 W

Jul 26, 2019 at 1:27:18 PM
Alexa-Hue Bridge Plugin Host IP Address overridden and specified as: '192.168.1.10'

Jul 26, 2019 at 1:29:17 PM
Alexa-Hue Bridge 'new device' updated and now has one Alexa Device published

Jul 26, 2019 at 1:36:35 PM
Z-Wave received "Pool light" energy total to 23.791 kWh
Z-Wave received "Pool light" power load to 16.944 W

But Alexa reports no new devices from a gen 2 dot.

I have tried the whole process a few times. All with he same result except that the second time I got an error:

Error (client) refreshElemFromDb() caught exception: ElementNotFoundError -- could not find device with element ID 1763959221

Assuming this was relating to the device I entered, I tested connecting and it was reported fine.

Any ongoing suggestions much appreciated...

Hope you're staying cool in West Sussex. Reports suggest you're baking. I moved to Orlando, Florida to escape the cold. You're hotter!!!

Posted on
Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:10 pm
autolog offline

Temperature is more bearable in the mid-20s (C) but very humid so it feels a lot hotter. It will be a lot better tomorrow, if the forecasts are correct. :)

Have you asked Alexa to discover devices? You need to make sure discovery is on for the Alexa Hue device. :)

Not a 100% sure but the error could be because you deleted a device while still having a device window open?

Let me know how you get on. :)

Posted on
Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:44 pm
jdxs offline

Well, this is truly bizarre..!
I have been tinkering and redoing but not really changing anything significant.
"No devices found" was the only consistency.
UNTIL I changed the device name from New device to Alexa bridge.
Then everything worked..!
I have been a developer since 1978 (and the birth of the Apple II) and my motto is, "Computers, unlike people, are logical devices. Don't waste time repeating what doesn't work".
Do you have a logical explanation or do I need to revise my motto..?

Posted on
Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:59 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Do you have both wired ethernet and wifi enabled? That can cause bizarre issues...

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:26 pm
jdxs offline

And just to put icing on the cake....
I have added 2 more Alexa Bridge devices and 28 Indigo devices to those.
All working perfectly..!
Thank you so much for creating the Indigo plugin and your time providing helpful advice...
Jeff

Posted on
Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:43 pm
jdxs offline

Jay...

Thanks for the suggestion re WiFi + wired connection.
No, only wired.
I did see this in one of the posts so made sure it did not apply during the test/changesomething/retest process.

Just to test my sanity (and my belief in my 40-year-motto) I tried discovery with the third device still named "new device".
It did, of course, work..!

I have rechecked the log and the only thing that was changed between not working a working was the device name change.

So, no explanation for the sudden 'coming-to-life' apart from passage of time ( 2 minutes) but that doesn't mean there isn't a logical one hiding under some computer rock.

But Indigo and the Alexa bridge have put a very broad smile on my face. So happy times..!

Thanks again...

Jeff

Posted on
Sat Jul 27, 2019 1:12 am
autolog offline

Glad you have got it working. :)

I don't have a logical explanation but there must have been something other than the name change that was affecting it?
Maybe the act of changing the name fixed something else that was causing the problem - I don't know.

I don't think you have to change your motto. :D

Thanks for your kind words about the plugin but it would be remiss of me not to point out that Jay wrote the original on which this one is heavily based. :)

Page 1 of 1