INSTEON I/O-Linc

Posted on
Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:55 pm
kyphos offline

INSTEON 2450 I/O-Linc forgets programming after power failu

A few posts back in this thread (Aug 15, 2017), I posted a recipe for configuring a 2450 I/O module as an X-10 device. I recently discovered that it loses its X10 configuration after a long power failure. We recently had a 5-hour outage following a severe thunderstorm. A few days later, I noticed that the integration between my Indigo system and my home alarm system was no longer working. Troubleshooting revealed that the 2450 was issuing Insteon commands in response to digital sensor inputs, but no X-10 commands. It had forgotten that I had configured it to also act as an X-10 device.

It was quite easy to reconfigure it to reconfigure it with the X-10 device address, as described above. Press-hold the SET button for a few seconds to put it into linking mode, tap the SET button, then use the Indigo app to send out three ON commands to the previously assigned X-10 address.

The 2450 does retain its configuration through a short (30 sec) power outage. I don't know how long it can go without power before it forgets.

I'm posting this update for the benefit of others who may be using the 2450, and come across this thread in the future.

:arrow: Indigo 2023.1.1, macOS 10.13.6 (High Sierra), Mac mini5,1 (Intel Core i5), PowerLinc 2413U

Posted on
Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:25 pm
Gman34798 offline

Re: INSTEON I/O-Linc

I just installed the Insteon garage door kit. It integrated into Indigo and all looks good. The sensor picks up and gives the state of the door, Open/Closed.
I parallel wired the output of the RelayLinc to the remote control inputs of the garage door opener.
the issue I have is that I cannot control the door with the relaylinc, I can only see the status of the door.
If I disconnect the leads from the relaylinc and short them together, that should simulate the contact closure and cause the door to open or close, shouldn't it?

I have a Liftmaster door opener, DC Belt drive, MyQ enabled.

the wall button still functions properly.

See the two images for how the remotelinc appears within Indigo. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2019-07-08 at 3.09.53 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-07-08 at 3.09.53 PM.png (117.1 KiB) Viewed 6756 times
Screen Shot 2019-07-08 at 3.09.29 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-07-08 at 3.09.29 PM.png (71.45 KiB) Viewed 6756 times

Posted on
Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:09 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Gman34798 wrote:
I parallel wired the output of the RelayLinc to the remote control inputs of the garage door opener.

I suspect that it won't work. Does your garage door remote have multiple door buttons and a separate light control? If so, then it's unlikely it will work. I have a Chamberlain with myQ with those specs and the Garage Door Kit (as well as the Z-Wave Garage Door controllers) won't work because the control mechanism isn't just a simple contact switch.

You should use the myQ plugin and make your IOLinc the status device for it (that's how I use mine). It's a bit unfortunate that it requires an internet connection, but at least it's a working control solution.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:39 pm
Gman34798 offline

Thank you Jay,
You confirmed what I suspected. I have been using MyQ Plugin and it has worked well until recently. Chamberlain evidently updated their security such that running the version I had on the MacOS version rendered the MyQ Plugin useless. I had the remoteLink in the tool box and decided to give it a go.
My wall controller is a single function controller and only operates the garage door.
From what I gather, I can use the MyQ plugin once again if I upgrade to MacOS Mojave....that will require replacing my iMac, which I will most likely do in a few months or so anyway since it will not support Mojave.
Now I do have redundancy in garage door status....the remotelinc functions well for this...I also have a tilt sensor, and a camera in the garage area.
At least the garage is well covered!

Thanks for all your support and a great product in Indigo!

Posted on
Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:34 pm
FlyingDiver offline

Gman34798 wrote:
From what I gather, I can use the MyQ plugin once again if I upgrade to MacOS Mojave....that will require replacing my iMac, which I will most likely do in a few months or so anyway since it will not support Mojave.

High Sierra works if you can upgrade to that.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Posted on
Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:36 pm
Gman34798 offline

Hi Joe,
After 9 years of flawless service, it’s time to retire the iMac. It runs 24/7 keeping my weather equipment uploading, my EKM smartmeter logging and my home automation cruising along. That’s the thing I love about Indigo...it’s a good pairing with the Mac, it just Works,
I think I could go up to High Sierra, but know I can’t Mojave, I tried that and got the system message denying the upgrade.
In a few weeks I should have a new system, either a new iMac or maybe a Mac mini, haven’t decided yet. :D

Posted on
Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:20 pm
farberm offline

I need some help setting up I/o Link to monitor water usage.

Project:
I have an I/O link 2450 connected to water meter - 2 pulses per gallon is the output of the meter

I wold like to run a python script to count the pulses per hour, day and month and then display them in Grafana.

To start I would just like to monitor the output to make sure it works. Is there a script located somehere to do this?

I have set up a trigger to increment variable Pulse count by 1 for every I/O output received.

Posted on
Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:47 pm
earache offline

I'm working on a little project to automate my espresso machine. It's a power hog, so I want to turn it on in the morning and then off a few hours later. Unfortunately the machine doesn't power itself on automatically when plugged in, so I can't use an Appliance Linc. Instead I'm going to use the I/O Linc's relay to "press" the power button for me. The one thing I'm not too sure about is that to turn the machine on I need to have a momentary press, but to turn it off I need a 3 second press. I see that there's a setting for Momentary Duration, I'm assuming I can use that to change how long the relay stays closed... is that right? Thanks for any tips.

Posted on
Wed Mar 09, 2022 12:37 pm
terrydew offline

I am using the sensor inputs to cause a chime to sound in my house. The I/O link has died and can’t find a replacement. Is there a HomeKit compatible replacement module I could use.?

Thanks for any help