Communications Issues Solved - Enable XMPP on your Hub

Posted on
Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:34 pm
Accularian offline

Communications Issues Solved - Enable XMPP on your Hub

To use my Harmony Hub with Indigo and the Harmony Hub Plugin I had to enable XMPP on my Hub. Basically all bets were off until I did this. It was easy to do but took be quite a bit of time to find it....

On your phone app go to the "hamburger" menu in the top right side of the screen. Tap Harmony Setup -> Add/Edit Devices & Activities -> SETTINGS -> HUB -> ENABLE XMPP

Where did I find the info?
https://support.logi.com/hc/en-001/comm ... I-via-XMPP
This was suggested in another post but I think the URL had changed. I searched support.logi.com for "Update-to-accessing-Harmony-Hub-s-local-API" and found it pretty quickly. You can get the whole story about why XMPPwas locked down at that link too.

What is XMPP?
Extensible Messaging and Presence Protocol is a communication protocol for message-oriented middleware based on XML. It enables the near-real-time exchange of structured yet extensible data between any two or more network entities. - Wikipedia

Joe... you are awesome! Thanks for the excellent plug-in!

Enjoy,

Dana Haynes
MacHelp Global
http://www.machelpglobal.com

Posted on
Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:35 pm
FlyingDiver offline

Re: Communications Issues Solved - Enable XMPP on your Hub

There were a couple other threads about this back in January or so.

I guess I need to put a link in the readme or Wiki.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Posted on
Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:52 pm
Accularian offline

Thanks Joe!

Enjoy,

Dana Haynes
MacHelp Global
http://www.machelpglobal.com

Posted on
Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:27 am
gt3mike offline

Interesting. I had previously done whatever was needed to install the "beta" or whatever I had to do to re-enable XMPP back when Logitech disabled it, and it was working totally fine. But over the last couple of days, my Indigo-Harmony connection stopped working for some reason. I followed the procedure above, and now it's working again. I wonder how often I'll need to do this?

Posted on
Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:30 am
FlyingDiver offline

gt3mike wrote:
Interesting. I had previously done whatever was needed to install the "beta" or whatever I had to do to re-enable XMPP back when Logitech disabled it, and it was working totally fine. But over the last couple of days, my Indigo-Harmony connection stopped working for some reason. I followed the procedure above, and now it's working again. I wonder how often I'll need to do this?

Probably not again.

The initial solution was a quick fix hack that installed a patched version of the firmware that re-enabled XMPP support. Subsequent to that, Logitech released new firmware that made it an option in the firmware settings. So now that the option is there, as long as future firmware updates honor that setting, you should be set.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Posted on
Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:36 am
gt3mike offline

Thanks!

Posted on
Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:52 pm
ryanbuckner offline

This solved my problem

Posted on
Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:09 am
bhough17 offline

OK, Logitech's over-simplification of their iOS "Harmony" app is probably to blame for my difficulties, but hoping someone can help me see some options

Basically, they've dumbed down the app so there is no "hamburger" menu in the top right side of the screen. So I can't get to the suggested Harmony Setup -> Add/Edit Devices & Activities -> SETTINGS -> HUB -> ENABLE XMPP

Nor can I get to anywhere that shows me the current firmware version (it updated when I installed the Hub yesterday, so I assume it's the latest), or the IP address of the Hub (I was able to figure that our by looking at the DHCP tables)

Any clues as to how to enable XMPP with the iOS app (version 5.7.1, downloaded yesterday)?

Thanks, Bruce

Posted on
Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:13 pm
gt3mike offline

I have the iOS Harmony app 5.7.1 and I have the hamburger menu at the top left. Works for me.
Harmony Setup -> Add/Edit Devices and Activities -> Remote & Hub -> Enable XMPP

Posted on
Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:58 pm
bhough17 offline

OK, this is just weird.

I've got the app loaded on three devices (my iPhone, my iPad, and my wife's iPhone) and _none_ of them show the hamburger menu

See attached screen shot.

In settings, the App Version is 5.7.1, the Build Number is 44. Running iOS version 13.3 (17C54) on an iPhone 8

I'm wondering if the app version is different because I'm on the Canadian app store...

Thanks for taking the time to respond that you've got it working

Bruce
Attachments
IMG_0AD4E2DE92DD-1.jpeg
IMG_0AD4E2DE92DD-1.jpeg (158.42 KiB) Viewed 4128 times

Posted on
Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:04 pm
gt3mike offline

My app looks very different. This is the screen that comes up when I launch the app. iPhone 11 Pro Max running iOS 13.3.
IMG_4247.jpeg
IMG_4247.jpeg (49.45 KiB) Viewed 4116 times

Posted on
Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:56 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

bhough17 wrote:
I've got the app loaded on three devices (my iPhone, my iPad, and my wife's iPhone) and _none_ of them show the hamburger menu

You are suffering from Logitech's terrible UI design. The screen you are showing isn't the "top" level UI. You are in the settings area (Hamburger->Harmony Setup->Add/Edit Devices & Activities->Devices). What I don't understand is why you don't see the back arrow in the upper left corner:

IMG_4750.png
IMG_4750.png (49.58 KiB) Viewed 4099 times

In my version you hit the back arrow, hit some X icons, a few more back arrows, and you eventually get to @gt3mike's image. The image above is from 5.7.1 as well.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:46 pm
bhough17 offline

I certainly agree about the terrible UI design

Logitech solved the issue. Essentially, the 'Setup' process was not completed. I hadn't clicked every possible right arrow until I got to a screen that prompted "Exit Setup".

In my defence, there was nothing compelling me to *think* I had to do that. The app was managing the entertainment system quite well, the remote worked, etc. Unless I'd wanted to enable XMPP I'd never have known that my life was incomplete. I wonder what percentage of Logitech Harmony Control app users are still seeing my [old] version of the app, and not proper version that gt3mike/Jay/me [new] now see

Thanks everyone for the help

Bruce

Page 1 of 1