Once again down that hole

Posted on
Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:34 pm
Different Computers offline

Re: Once again down that hole

So very very close, AND I've greatly simplified the mess.

But (and there's always a but) I have a problem with what I think is effectively simultaneous execution. The first part of my script takes time, because it involves network activities:
Code: Select all
from PIL import Image
import subprocess
import time
pic_destination = "/Library/Application Support/Perceptive Automation/Indigo 7/IndigoWebServer/public/whatever.PNG"
subprocess.Popen("wget --user name --password value --no-check-certificate 192.168.999.999/cgi-bin/currentpic.cgi -O /Library/Application\ Support/Perceptive\ Automation/Indigo\ 7/IndigoWebServer/whatever.PNG", shell=True)

But as I think I read somewhere, Python executes everything as fast as it can, rather than in order. So any time I've run this after the first, this part acts on the previous image before the new image is saved:
time.sleep(5). <--------even with this ridiculous value
pic = Image.open(pic_destination)
pic.save("/Library/Application Support/Perceptive Automation/Indigo 7/IndigoWebServer/public/whatever.PNG", optimize=True, quality=80, format='PNG')

To be clear, I'm grabbing an image from the camera, and then want to reduce its quality and size. Right now, the action group is reducing the PREVIOUS image, which is then overwritten immediately by the new image. I know this because I'm watching that Finder directory, and when I run this, the old image drops in size by 70 % or so, and then is overwritten.

But now I'm doubly confused because I just read this suggesting Python executes from top to bottom.

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:35 pm
berkinet offline

Try something like this...
foo = subprocess.Popen(“command.....
foo.wait

Posted on
Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:33 am

foo.wait seems to have gotten me to the point where I could troubleshoot my other issues.

I still see some weird timing stuff happening, but between adding .wait and sleep commands, it is now working!

Many thanks to everyone who commented.

Oh, and for those wondering, this code integrates, at a very basic level for now, the Wyze V2 camera and the Wyze Cam Pan with the Xiomi/Dafang hacked firmware. With the hack, these cameras are an extraordinary value/feature combination that I highly recommend. Excellent images, full-featured. In fact, most of this Python was needed because the images were too high quality straight from the cameras, and needed to be stepped down for IWS to serve them over the reflector!

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:13 am

Weirdly, I have to resurrect this thread.

I had to totally reset one of the cameras, and since then the wget script to grab the image from the camera has stopped working.

Here's what I know:

IP address of the reset camera, and the user name/pwd are the same as they were.
The wget command works at the command line.
The second half of the script, which converts the large image from the camera into a smaller image that IndigoWebServer can serve, still works.
I can reach the camera from the Indigo box, and have re-authorized the camera's self signed certificate.

What's not working is the wget. BUT the script does NOT return any errors. It just isn't working to grab a new image. the second half works to convert any existing image.

Here's the script:
from PIL import Image
import math
import subprocess
import time

pic_destination = "/Library/Application Support/Perceptive Automation/Indigo 7.3/IndigoWebServer/public/FOO/FYBig.jpg"
get_image = subprocess.Popen("wget --user NAME --password BOGUS --no-check-certificate 192.168.0.66/cgi-bin/currentpic.cgi -O /Library/Application Support/Perceptive Automation/Indigo 7.3/IndigoWebServer/public/FOO/FYBig.jpg", shell=True)
get_image.wait

Image.open(pic_destination)
time.sleep(2)
saved_pic = Image.open(pic_destination)
#width, height = saved_pic.size
#width = width*.59
#height = height*.59
#saved_pic.resize((int(math.floor(width)), int(math.floor(height))), Image.ANTIALIAS)
saved_pic.save("/Library/Application Support/Perceptive Automation/Indigo 7.3/IndigoWebServer/public/FOO/FY.jpg", optimize=True)

I have 2 other versions of this script running without problems on nearly identical cameras. When I run
wget --user NAME --password BOGUS --no-check-certificate 192.168.0.66/cgi-bin/currentpic.cgi
at the command line, I get current pic.cgi in my documents root folder.

So is there some sort of python environment issue where it for some reason is still not trusting the connection, even though the bash does? Here's what the command line returns:
Indigo:~ name$ wget --user NAME --password PWD --no-check-certificate 192.168.0.66/cgi-bin/currentpic.cgi
--2019-06-25 11:12:27--  http://192.168.0.66/cgi-bin/currentpic.cgi
Connecting to 192.168.0.66:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 401 Unauthorized
Authentication selected: Basic realm="all", charset="UTF-8"
Reusing existing connection to 192.168.0.66:80.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 301 Moved Permanently
Location: https://192.168.0.66/cgi-bin/currentpic.cgi [following]
--2019-06-25 11:12:27--  https://192.168.0.66/cgi-bin/currentpic.cgi
Connecting to 192.168.0.66:443... connected.
WARNING: cannot verify 192.168.0.66's certificate, issued by ‘emailAddress=...,CN=...,OU=...,O=...,L=Munich,ST=Bavaria,C=DE’:
  Self-signed certificate encountered.
    WARNING: certificate common name ‘...’ doesn't match requested host name ‘192.168.0.66’.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
Length: 117879 (115K) [image/jpeg]
Saving to: ‘currentpic.cgi.1’

currentpic.cgi.1    100%[===================>] 115.12K   163KB/s    in 0.7s   

2019-06-25 11:12:28 (163 KB/s) - ‘currentpic.cgi.1’ saved [117879/117879]

I'm going to try deleting the stored certificate. In the mean time, thanks for any help.

Posted on
Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:00 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Remind me again why you're using wget rather than just getting the image directly in Python using the requests lib?

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:07 am

I really don't recall. Probably because:

1. I knew more or less how wget works
2. I didn't know how requests works or couldn't figure out the syntax for getting it to do all the options that wget does and are required.

I've tried deleting the certificates in the Keychain, and nothing changed.

Posted on
Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:27 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

I think this should get you on your way using requests:

import requests
from PIL import Image
from io import BytesIO

reply = requests.get('https://192.168.0.66/cgi-bin/currentpic.cgi', auth=('user', 'pass'), verify=False)
saved_pic = Image.open(BytesIO(reply.content))

Not tested, so it's likely I have something wrong, but it should be pretty close (this example is almost directly from the requests documentation). Hopefully you'll get better response error feedback to help figure out what's going wrong.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:02 am

Thanks! I'll give it a try.

Posted on
Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:23 am

OK, got past the first hurdle, which was remembering what to do with 'user' and 'password'. Looks like it's addressing the camera correctly and then fails to properly place or pick back up the data.

I *think* I don't understand some of the flow of this script, and have a mismatch of variable names. I get a error result of "'JpegImageFile' object has no attribute 'read'".

edit:

worked through the mess that was my code and figured out how your suggested code needed to fit in. Looks like this for anyone who might need this:
from PIL import Image
import math
import subprocess
import time
import requests
from io import BytesIO

pic_destination = "/Library/Application Support/Perceptive Automation/Indigo 7.3/IndigoWebServer/public/FOO/GROOMpython.jpg"
reply = requests.get('https://192.168.0.66/cgi-bin/currentpic.cgi', auth=('user', 'pass'), verify=False)
saved_pic = Image.open(BytesIO(reply.content))
time.sleep(2) # maybe not needed depending on your camera/network speed
saved_pic.save("/Library/Application Support/Perceptive Automation/Indigo 7.3/IndigoWebServer/public/FOO/GRpython.jpg", optimize=True)

Thanks very much!

Posted on
Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:46 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

So, is it working?

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:12 pm
howartp offline

Jay, what’s the $indigo_path py command that DC can use instead of hard coding /library/........indigo 7.3/...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Posted on
Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:14 pm
howartp offline

Also DC, you’ve defined pic_destination but then hardcoded the path instead of using the pic_destination variable you defined.

Posted on
Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:07 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

getInstallFolderPath

So, something like:

pic_destination = "{}/IndigoWebServer/public/FOO/GROOMpython.jpg".format(indigo.server.getInstallFolderPath())

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:20 am
howartp offline

Cheers.

I knew you’d get there quicker and easier than me on phone.

I can never remember the command, or find it in the docs because I can’t remember the name to search it!

Posted on
Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:04 am

You're right I did.

So it should be
saved_pic.save(pic_destination, optimize=True)
right? Or is it supposed to be
saved_pic.save("pic_destination", optimize=True)

And yes, thank you Jay, it's working. And it seems faster than using wget. I was able to reduce the wait states, and even went ahead and changed all the other cameras over to use this new code.