[REQ] - Alternative to Evocam

Posted on
Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:35 am
MarcoGT offline

[REQ] - Alternative to Evocam

Hi all,

when I started with Indigo in 2015 I bought Evocam which I still finds perfect (I have only two D-Link cameras + Netatmo which cannot be used with Evocam);
till yesterday I was still on OSX10.11 (El Capitan) and this night I moved to Mojave and switch to SSD instead of the internal spinning HD, everything went smooth.

I got working for Indigo (ok) but also for Evocam which is a 32-bit app and which is not supported anymore.

Which are the alternative?
I do not at the moment too much time to play with SW and so on, so I would like something "Plug and Play", I do not mind to pay for this.

Thanks
Marco

Posted on
Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:56 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: [REQ] - Alternative to Evocam

I haven't looked into if SecuritySpy is 64 bit yet, but it is really solid software (although not free). I transitioned from EvoCam to SecuritySpy years ago.

Posted on
Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:15 pm
FlyingDiver offline

matt (support) wrote:
I haven't looked into if SecuritySpy is 64 bit yet, but it is really solid software (although not free). I transitioned from EvoCam to SecuritySpy years ago.

It is (64-bit).

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Posted on
Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:01 pm
peszko offline

I used security spy for a long time and it worked well. I had minor issues where if it lost camera feed it would often not re-established until restart. Also, for 16 4MP cameras it was using quite a lot of resources (especially with continuous recording and motion detection). I transitioned to a dedicated NVR and couldn't be happier. Works perfectly with Indigo.

Posted on
Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:51 pm
MarcoGT offline

What kind of NVR do you own?

Posted on
Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:11 pm
peszko offline

I use Hikvision NVR (DS-7616NI-K2). 16 channels @ 4K. I use mostly Hikvision cameras, but the NVR supports ONVIF so most recent cameras will work.

Posted on
Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:50 pm
DomoPat offline

These Hikvision are really tempting for me, because I need to renew my licences for Security Spy and it is so expensive that I am considering going for an independent system, with the added advantage to lower the CPU usage of the Indigo machine.

But I will loose the connection between Indigo and the cameras, where I can start and stop them or start Indigo actions on motion detection for example. So my question is: is there any communication between your Hikvision and Indigo ?

Posted on
Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:40 am
peszko offline

There is, but not everything. I don't use the in-camera motion detection for notifications in indigo (too unreliable), I use motion sensors to trigger them. I build a simple plugin to get images, send commands (like ptz), etc... I don't start and stop them as I keep them always on and use the build in viewer (web or mac client) to review the video (continuous and motion). Using the mac client is very convenient and response is almost instantaneous.

Updating my Hikvision NVR plugin to do start stop and other functions would be relatively simple. (Hikvision publishes the full api for the NVR and cameras) Getting triggers from the NVR is also possible, but a bit more work. At some point (when I find some time), I can clean up my plugin add more functions and post it to the indigo plugin page.

Page 1 of 1