Timed Devices plugin

Posted on
Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:39 pm
vtmikel offline

Re: Timed Devices plugin

kmarkley wrote:
vtmikel wrote:
Code: Select all
Timed Devices Error             "Nanny presence" count out of sync [count:-1, max:1]
Timed Devices Error             "Nanny presence 60 min threshhold" count out of sync [count:-1, max:1]

The plugin keeps an internal count of how many tracked devices are on, and relies on communication from Indigo to know when anything changes. This error indicates that the internal count has gotten out-of-sync (less than zero or more than max), which implies that the plugin is missing messages from Indigo.

This is most likely not an issue directly with the plugin, and I wouldn't be surprised if you were also seeing Server Communication errors. If you have configured the plugin to display the timer value in the UI, then you might want to turn that off as it does increase the communication load to/from Indigo. Otherwise, it's a matter of tracking down the root cause of the communication error (which is a difficult task, as I know too well).

Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Hi there-

It's been a while but I believe I've discovered the root cause of this and so I wanted to share.

Threshold timers do not have On or Off persist cycles. If you start by creating a Persistence timer, then change it to a Threshold timer, you will occasionally get these "count of of sync" errors. This happens to me because I often forget the timer I want to use, and I need to read your description on the top of the configuration dialog.

Anyway, wanted to report this. Other than the log error, the devices still work correctly.

Posted on
Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:16 pm
mundmc offline

PS- this plugin is incredibly useful, thank you!

Posted on
Fri May 24, 2019 8:09 am
Umtauscher offline

Hi kmarkley,
thanks for you great plugin.
I have a bunch of devices that I created with the GhostXML plugin. Since that only produces custom states, I still have to use the trigger/variable/action group mess.
Am I missing something or is it not possible to evaluate custom states of such devices?
TIA
Wilhelm

Posted on
Fri May 24, 2019 9:24 am
kmarkley offline

Umtauscher wrote:
Am I missing something or is it not possible to evaluate custom states of such devices?

I think you may be missing something, but I'm not quite sure what. The plugin does evaluate custom states of devices. For the Activity Timer and Threshold Timer types, you need to click the 'Load Device States" button to get them to appear in the drop down.

If you still have problems, a screenshot of your device configuration might help.

Posted on
Fri May 24, 2019 11:30 am
DaveL17 offline

I believe that what Wilhelm is referring to is that the GhostXML plugin presents all custom states as strings. Unless the Timed Devices plugin is evaluating strings to see if they can be cast as something else, this is probably the rub.

It's in the plan to revise the GhostXML plugin to evaluate each state to see what its "best type" should be, but this is non-trivial and, more importantly, will likely break logic for users that have come to rely on the states being cast as strings.

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Fri May 24, 2019 11:47 am
howartp offline

(Dave, possibly a new device type (v2) that stores as whatever, leaving v1 as strings?)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Posted on
Fri May 24, 2019 11:50 am
Umtauscher offline

Thanks Dave for stepping in.

I really missed the button to populate the list with custuom values. I don't understand why they are not populated by dropdown but thats another problem.

Unfortunately I cannot make heads or tails on the behaviour of the plugin. I defined the true value as complex and definded ten TRUE value as not equal to 0 as string value for a custom state but I cannot get it to fire.
What I wanted to do is a simple AND between two custom states but that doesn't seem to work.

It is really frustrating, that we still need to run circles to evaluate a simple logical condition..... even in the 7th incarnation of Indigo.

I already have a combination of triggers and timers working for that, I just wanted to make it a bit more straigt forward. Never mind....

Posted on
Fri May 24, 2019 12:01 pm
DaveL17 offline

<opt>@howartp: Interesting idea! That seems like a possible solution to the breaking everything problem. </otp>

@wilhelm: sorry, I can't help with the Timed Devices plugin as I don't use it. Hopefully, you can find a solution to your problem.

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Fri May 24, 2019 1:21 pm
kmarkley offline

DaveL17 wrote:
Unless the Timed Devices plugin is evaluating strings to see if they can be cast as something else, this is probably the rub.

The Timed Devices plugin doesn't cast strings, but will check strings for common boolean meanings (true/false, on/off, 1/0, etc.). The list is in the device config.

Umtauscher wrote:
I defined the true value as complex and definded ten TRUE value as not equal to 0 as string value for a custom state but I cannot get it to fire.

This should work, provided the string the ghostXML device is literally "0".

Umtauscher wrote:
What I wanted to do is a simple AND between two custom states but that doesn't seem to work.

The Timed Devices plugin isn't really about logic operations on device states, so I'm not sure if it can do what you want. Again, posting a screenshot of your device configuration might help.

Posted on
Sat May 25, 2019 7:01 am
Umtauscher offline

Sorry for the late answer, but I just have managed to make some screenshots.

What I am trying to do here is simple.
Logically I need to create 2 states which show what the boiler is heating:

flame_dhw = flame AND dhw_mode
flame ch = flame AND ch_mode

DHW means hot_water_mode and CH means central_heating_mode.
At the moment I have 3 triggers for this. Unfortuneately it is undefined, which trigger fires first. Normally the mode changes before the flame but sometimes both states change simultaniously and it's not clear which trigger fires first.
When I found out about your timed device plugin, I saw the opportunity to make it more stable.
Unfortunately I cannot get it to work.
I have attached the custom states of the GhostXML device that asks the boiler for its state an one of the timed devices plugin.
Hopefully someone can help.
Cheers
Wilhelm
Attachments
Bildschirmfoto 2019-05-25 um 14.37.40.png
The upper part of teh device settings
Bildschirmfoto 2019-05-25 um 14.37.40.png (88.08 KiB) Viewed 7372 times
Bildschirmfoto 2019-05-25 um 14.38.40.png
The lower part of the device settings
Bildschirmfoto 2019-05-25 um 14.38.40.png (64.7 KiB) Viewed 7372 times
Bildschirmfoto 2019-05-25 um 14.39.00.png
The custom states of the GhostXML OTGW device
Bildschirmfoto 2019-05-25 um 14.39.00.png (46.88 KiB) Viewed 7372 times

Posted on
Wed May 29, 2019 12:27 pm
kmarkley offline

So, first, this isn't the intended use of this plugin, and it's a little wasteful of resources to keep starting and counting down that timer if you don't need it. But on the other hand, it does seem like this should work.

I'm guessing the issue may be comparing regular and unicode strings, although I thought I had dealt with that possibility. I don't have time to dig into it now, but a brief look at the plugin indicates that I misspoke when I said it didn't cast strings as numbers. Try setting the data type to number - I think that might do it.

Also, I think you probably want the Always Extend checkbox unchecked. If you want the plugin device to show as on only when both your other states are non-zero.

Hope this helps.

Posted on
Wed May 29, 2019 1:14 pm
Umtauscher offline

ok, thanks, I will try.
Cheers
Wilhelm

Posted on
Wed May 29, 2019 1:35 pm
Umtauscher offline

Just to let you know, the timed device never fires.
I give up, thanks anyway.

Posted on
Wed May 29, 2019 2:46 pm
kmarkley offline

Just to be clear, the way you have it set up, both of your OTGW states would have to change within 1 second (reset timer) and the n the plugin device would only stay on for 1 second (off timer). This is what this plugin actually does.

You might have better luck converting it to a threshold timer device type and setting a much longer off timer.

Posted on
Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:01 am
welchgregusa offline

I am trying to keep track of the amount of time my pool autofill valve is open (filling pool). I have a flow switch hooked up to the sensor input of an IOLinc module. This plugin looks perfect for tracking the on-off state of the valve. I've set up a "Running Timer" to try and do so.

Does anyone (kmarkley?) know whether the Running Timer is the appropriate (best) option? I'd like to know how long the valve was open today, this week, this month, etc. A Running Timer seems like the right one.

Assuming so, does anyone know if there is a way to reset the running count? I can't find any way to do so.

Thank you.