Geofence not working

Posted on
Thu May 16, 2019 12:34 pm
RogueProeliator offline

Re: Geofence not working

Man, I hate geofencing issues - they are a PITA to troubleshoot... So nothing changed on the application in regards to geofences, but (and this is a big one) the latest Google Play libraries which provide the enter/exit geofence events to the application was updated. I've been looking to put some more logging and viewing of the logs into the application, I might need to go ahead and do that for a beta this week.

Normally if a geofence fires and the action group cannot be executed it will show an execution notification -- do you get that at all? Might help determine if it is the fence or the sending of the action group. If no error, I suspect somehow the geofence boundary crossing is not reaching the app or I am not handling something correctly for the newest version of the services.

Posted on
Thu May 16, 2019 8:39 pm
RogueProeliator offline

It sounds as if it is not getting the geofence notifications from the system. If you try to setup a new geofence, does it correctly get your current location?

If so, have you tried disabling, saving, and re-enabling it? That should not be required, of course, unless somehow it got "disconnected" during the update and it thinks the fence is in place and the system doesn't... would be a bug but just trying to think of the ways that it could go wrong from a configuration/processing standpoint.

Posted on
Fri May 17, 2019 7:17 am
norcoscia offline

This does not seem to be working on my wife's Pixel either :-(

_______
Norm

Posted on
Fri May 17, 2019 3:29 pm
RogueProeliator offline

Hmm, wonder if it is because I switched Google Play Services version... I'll be honestly, geofencing is the part of the app that gives me the most trouble because while I understand the concepts of geofencing, understanding the "best" way to utilize it in Android sure seems like a moving target. I just haven't stayed on top of the changes in that area... also hardest to test in general.

Please let me know if the newly created one continues to work for you.

@norcosicia -- can you try re-creating the geofence and disabling the old one?

Adam

Posted on
Fri May 17, 2019 3:38 pm
norcoscia offline

OK, will do - it will be a bit before I can test since we just went shopping today. I will let you know :-)

_______
Norm

Posted on
Wed May 22, 2019 6:12 am
norcoscia offline

Tried twice - does not work - when we set up a new action as soon as we OK it we get the alert (alert I set up) - but after that we never get one when leaving or returning :-(

Also Voice does not work - those were the only two reasons I had my wife put it on here phone.....

_______
Norm

Posted on
Wed May 22, 2019 11:29 pm
RogueProeliator offline

Tried twice - does not work - when we set up a new action as soon as we OK it we get the alert (alert I set up) - but after that we never get one when leaving or returning

I have an update to the voice announcements already done and am trying to figure out the Geofence issue. I'm switching to the newer method for registering with the system to see if that makes any difference (the old was not marked as depreciated, however, so not sure.) Adding a bit of logging to it as well. We will get to the bottom of this... expect an update tomorrow if all goes well.

Posted on
Thu May 23, 2019 6:38 am
norcoscia offline

Thx!!!!

_______
Norm

Posted on
Thu May 23, 2019 11:25 pm
RogueProeliator offline

This was posted to the beta channel, by the way. Announcements should be fixed up -- note that Google's power saving/doze features are pretty invasive, especially when the screen is off. So the announcement can be a bit delayed in those situations (going to look into but AFAIK there isn't a great way to do that via the app. You may get faster notification by telling it Don't Optimize Domotics Pad (Settings -> Battery Optimization -> All Apps). This could help with geofences as well...

Adam

Posted on
Fri May 24, 2019 9:48 am
norcoscia offline

Did the update to.2 - no joy on the voice on either my wifes pixel or the cheap ATT phones I have - We will check out the geofence when we walk to the mailbox today. I'll let you know!

_______
Norm

Posted on
Fri May 24, 2019 9:55 am
RogueProeliator offline

Did the update to.2 - no joy on the voice on either my wifes pixel or the cheap ATT phones I have - We will check out the geofence when we walk to the mailbox today. I'll let you know!

Interesting... I tried on 4 devices here, all worked fine, including my Pixel3XL, though it didn't announce right away when it was on Doze (it did announce quickly if the screen were already on). The others tried were a Nexus 5X, Huawei MediaPad, and a Pixel 2. Those all have various OS levels too.

One more thing you could try -- it is extreme, but if you clear the data (so go through setup again) and re-pair to Indigo, it will refresh the messaging token and be sure you are using the new Firebase Messaging, which is basically just Google's new push notification service. The voice announcement won't work on the older version (which is being sunset).

Adam

Posted on
Fri May 24, 2019 10:03 am
norcoscia offline

I did a repair no help - did you mean to remove the app and then download it again?

_______
Norm

Posted on
Fri May 24, 2019 10:11 am
RogueProeliator offline

I did a repair no help - did you mean to remove the app and then download it again?

You can go to Apps -> Select Domotics Pad and force it closed then choose Clear Data. That deletes all settings and files and should essentially be like a fresh install.

Posted on
Fri May 24, 2019 10:19 am
norcoscia offline

So on my small ATT phone I uninstalled / reinstalled and now voice is working - hope it works on my wife's phone!!!!

So did not work on my wife's phone but the data was not cleared on the uninstall - with my ATT phone I had to go through the setup - with my wife's phone the setting where still there. Trying to clear all setting now...

That did it - voice is working on her phone - hope the geo is also working!!!!!! Thanks for all the help!!!!

_______
Norm

Posted on
Sat May 25, 2019 7:08 am
norcoscia offline

Just FYI - Geofence is still not working on my wife's pixel.

_______
Norm