Roon Controller Plugin Beta feedback.

Posted on
Tue May 07, 2019 11:11 am
autolog offline

Re: Roon Controller Plugin Beta feedback.

New version posted: Version 0.1.10 in normal location. :)

Contains various bug fixes and additional debugging code.

The major new feature is that Volume Control processing is now supported via three new Actions;
  • Set Volume - takes values from 0 through 100 (will be proportionally adjusted for Roon Output volume controls using dB values
  • Increase Volume - takes values 1 through10
  • Decrease Volume takes values 1 through 10
Having said the above, there is no validity checking (at the moment) when you enter values in the Action dialogue config. When the Action is executed you will get an error for a non-integer value. There is also a safety check to dis-allow a volume increment greater than 10.

A couple of things that I have experienced in my testing. The Roon Core seems to be disconnecting devices at around 2:00 a.m. I am assuming this is part of its functionality and will investigate further. However, I noticed this morning the the plugin hadn't reconnected so a reload of the plugin early morning might be advised which should force a reconnect. This can be done by scheduling an Action: Server Action > Enable/Disable/Reload Actions > Reload Plugin > com.autologplugin.indigoplugin.rooncontroller

I also received a message when I restarted my Roon Core asking for authorisation to accept incoming connections. I have only seen this once so far.

Suggest when trying volume controls for the first time that you are able to disable the real devices volume smartish if it goes too loud; It shouldn't but best to be safe. :)

Posted on
Tue May 07, 2019 11:21 am
IndigoSam offline

autolog wrote:
The Roon Core seems to be disconnecting devices at around 2:00 a.m. I am assuming this is part of its functionality and will investigate further.

Is your Roon back up running at this time?

Sam.

Posted on
Tue May 07, 2019 11:24 am
autolog offline

Yes :)

Is there a reason for the question?

Posted on
Tue May 07, 2019 11:44 am
IndigoSam offline

2 am rang a bell. Maybe the back up disconnects devices first?

I don't know, just speculating.

Sam.

Posted on
Tue May 07, 2019 12:05 pm
autolog offline

IndigoSam wrote:
2 am rang a bell. Maybe the back up disconnects devices first?

I don't know, just speculating.

Sam.

Good bell ringing. :D

Just checked my settings and the backup does run at 2:00 a.m.

I'll schedule a plugin restart for 02:30 a.m. and check all is OK when I get up later in the morning. :)

Posted on
Fri May 24, 2019 6:34 am
siclark offline

Thanks a lot Jon.. just got my Spirits paid off, and now you have me paying out for Roon. ,. And of course I need Tidal as well now!

Never heard of it before However, its amazing and already enjoying finding new music to listen to, and in greater quality.

So, can you add me in to the beta so I can get involved, and then ditch my Sonos plugin which doesnt seem to work well.

Cheers
Simon

Posted on
Fri May 24, 2019 6:42 am
autolog offline

siclark wrote:
... So, can you add me in to the beta so I can get involved, ...

PM sent. :)

Posted on
Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:23 pm
koensayr offline

Wanted to give some feedback here - but I'm blown away by this contribution!

Its working like a champ for me in a basic configuration.

I'm curious to know more about how you are using Roon. Do you have your Mac mini wired into a Multizone Amp?

I currently have Sonos throughout the house but have used Roon daily at work, and I'm thinking about bringing it home. Just curious to hear how you are using it.

-Josh

Posted on
Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:24 pm
autolog offline

koensayr wrote:
Wanted to give some feedback here - but I'm blown away by this contribution!

Its working like a champ for me in a basic configuration.

I'm curious to know more about how you are using Roon. Do you have your Mac mini wired into a Multizone Amp?

I currently have Sonos throughout the house but have used Roon daily at work, and I'm thinking about bringing it home. Just curious to hear how you are using it.

Did I give you a link to the plugin? :?

I have the Roon Core running on my Indigo iMac. It is feeding a set of Yamaha NX-N500 speakers attached via USB (in my study where the Indigo iMac is). The rest of the house has Bluesound speakers of various sorts. I use Qobuz Sublime+ with Roon as well as my own extensive set of ripped CD albums stored on a Drobo NAS.

There are still a few oddities with the plugin that I am in the process of sorting out - mainly to do with the grouping and switching of zones.

I use the Roon plugin to display what is playing in a set of Control Pages. In addition I use the Roon plugin to set variables that are used by an Indigo script to announce the playing tracks on Homepods or Alexa Echos (see this thread: Alexa Announcements ). These are separate from the the Bluesound speakers that are actually playing the music from Roon.

I believe Roon does work with Sonos. :)

Posted on
Sat Dec 21, 2019 9:07 am
chickenlittle offline

Roon control via Apple Watch

I love this plugin, thanks Autolog!

I have some basic controls of Roon setup on the Apple Watch.
I create action groups that trigger simple transport controls through Roon plugin. pause, play, previous, next, volume up and down by a certain amount.
I then use HomeKit bridge to assign those action groups to Siri commands.
I then create a Scene on iPhone (using a program like Home+) to control each Roon/Siri command (this is needed for the next app).

I then use an iOS app. HomeRun to create a screen with icons on the Watch, each of which trigger a Siri scene, which triggers an action group in Indigo, thus controlling Roon.
The top two rows of the attached image are icons controlling Roon.

Roon Apple Watch.PNG
Roon Apple Watch.PNG (37.67 KiB) Viewed 10646 times

Posted on
Sat Dec 21, 2019 9:07 am
chickenlittle offline

Roon plugin feature request

Autolog, I have a feature request for the plugin.
At various times, I am listening to Roon on different output devices or on various different zones combining different Roon output devices and rooms together.
The various combinations and permutations become quite large, and change from time to time, so it becomes somewhat difficult to create enough actions within an action group to say "pause" every combination of Roon Output Devices.

It would be great if there was was one Roon Plugin control that would send one transport or volume adjust to all currently discovered and updated roon output devices and roon zones.

Eg, I want to use one action group to pause all roon outputs or zones at the same time so it doesn't matter what output or combination of outputs (zones) I happen to be listening to at any give time.

same with volume controls.

Posted on
Sat Dec 21, 2019 9:12 am
chickenlittle offline

Roon Controller and Roon Rock

I just setup Roon Rock.
This is a dedicated Roon OS based on Linux, which I installed on an NU computer, where the Roon core is now installed.
This allows for a cleaner and more responsive and stable Roon Core (as opposed to running it on a Mac Mini...it kept hanging.)

Roon Rock, doesn't have a direct extension manager, but this doesn't matter for Roon Controller

One just needs to point the IP of the plugin to the IP of the Roon Rock Core
(although for some reason the Roon Controller crashed and wouldn't allow me to configure it, so I had to uninstall and reinstall, and then it worked fine.)

Posted on
Sat Dec 21, 2019 9:17 am
autolog offline

Re: Roon control via Apple Watch

chickenlittle wrote:
I love this plugin, thanks Autolog! I have some basic controls of Roon setup on the Apple Watch....

Thanks for the kind comments - glad you are liking it. :)

Apple watch implementation is impressive - haven't got that far myself. :)

Posted on
Sat Dec 21, 2019 9:22 am
autolog offline

Re: Roon plugin feature request

chickenlittle wrote:
Autolog, I have a feature request for the plugin.
At various times, I am listening to Roon on different output devices or on various different zones combining different Roon output devices and rooms together.
The various combinations and permutations become quite large, and change from time to time, so it becomes somewhat difficult to create enough actions within an action group to say "pause" every combination of Roon Output Devices.

It would be great if there was was one Roon Plugin control that would send one transport or volume adjust to all currently discovered and updated roon output devices and roon zones.

Eg, I want to use one action group to pause all roon outputs or zones at the same time so it doesn't matter what output or combination of outputs (zones) I happen to be listening to at any give time.

same with volume controls.

There is still a bit of improvement to be done with the handling of grouped zones. I haven't quite got it to where I want it to be. I am trying to get round the "change from time to time" situation - this is still work in progress.

I will take a look at implementing your feature request. :)

Posted on
Sat Dec 21, 2019 9:24 am
autolog offline

Re: Roon Controller and Roon Rock

chickenlittle wrote:
I just setup Roon Rock.
This is a dedicated Roon OS based on Linux, which I installed on an NU computer, where the Roon core is now installed.
This allows for a cleaner and more responsive and stable Roon Core (as opposed to running it on a Mac Mini...it kept hanging.)

Roon Rock, doesn't have a direct extension manager, but this doesn't matter for Roon Controller

One just needs to point the IP of the plugin to the IP of the Roon Rock Core
(although for some reason the Roon Controller crashed and wouldn't allow me to configure it, so I had to uninstall and reinstall, and then it worked fine.)

Interesting implementation. :)

At what point did it crash i.e. what steps did you perform and what happened?