TRV Controller Discussion Thread

Posted on
Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:22 am
autolog offline

Re: TRV Controller Discussion Thread

See this post for Pre-Release 1.3.1: TRV Controller - Pre-Release Version v1.3.1 :)

Posted on
Sat May 04, 2019 4:12 pm
IndigoSam offline

Total aside and a bit off-topic, but thought I would try here first as it may be something encountered in development. Not seen any mention during a brief skim.

Is there any way to make the Spirits remember they are already installed after a battery replacement?

I don't mean associated with the z-wave controller, that seems to be okay.

What I mean is the Spirit flashing the green button with 'Ins' on the front, waiting for the physical valve actuation part of the install to happen.

I was wondering if there was a command that would cause the Spirit to perform the mechanical install stage (again) without pressing the button or, better yet, to turn off the need for this second stage.

Sam.

Posted on
Sat May 04, 2019 4:14 pm
Busta999 offline

Not that I have been able to find.

Autolog spent some time looking at it - he was unable to detect it going into INS mode, so not hopeful :-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Posted on
Sun May 05, 2019 5:54 am
autolog offline

Busta999 wrote:
.. Autolog spent some time looking at it - he was unable to detect it going into INS mode, ...

I am afraid I haven't discovered a way to detect it. :|

Posted on
Sun May 05, 2019 9:21 am
Busta999 offline

autolog wrote:
Busta999 wrote:
.. Autolog spent some time looking at it - he was unable to detect it going into INS mode, ...

I am afraid I haven't discovered a way to detect it. :|

Absolutely useless!!! :-)

How about a tutorial on Binary, I enjoyed the Hex one:-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Thu May 09, 2019 2:45 am
Busta999 offline

To make the Heating / TRV more fault tolerant is it possible to add a zwave thermostat to the room the TRV is in and just add the TRV to the association for the thermostat?

Then set thermostat to use external temp sensor?

I noticed my SSR302 Boiler Controller allows 4 associations.

So in theory one association to Indigo, and one to the lounge thermostat another for the kitchen an last one for master bedroom.

Then even if the Mac Indigo is running on died heating would carry on working ?

An idea?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Thu May 23, 2019 3:05 pm
shapa offline

Maybe someone already suggested...

It would be nice to be able to trigger "summer / winter / vacations / holidays" modes - i.e. to change all TRVs schedules automatically based on some variable.

Posted on
Fri May 24, 2019 4:43 am
autolog offline

shapa wrote:
Maybe someone already suggested...

It would be nice to be able to trigger "summer / winter / vacations / holidays" modes - i.e. to change all TRVs schedules automatically based on some variable.

See this post: Question about weekday schedule

This should enable you to setup a conditional schedule (to check a variable) that will run the appropriate Action Group you setup with the required schedules. :)

Posted on
Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:13 am
siclark offline

Busta999 wrote:
:-(

Not so much .......

Restarting Indigo did not refresh battery level.

Unless the new batteries I put in are at 20% also, a possibility but unlikely.

If you define and sync on the TRV you will get the refreshed battery state. You might need to try a few times if it says that the device is asleep.

Posted on
Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:18 am
shapa offline

Another idea.

To provide/support temperature readings based on the external temperature sensor, especially useful in case of no controlling device available.

Posted on
Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:34 am
autolog offline

shapa wrote:
Another idea.

To provide/support temperature readings based on the external temperature sensor, especially useful in case of no controlling device available.

Not sure I understand what you mean. Can you provide a bit more detail?

Posted on
Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:54 am
Busta999 offline

@Autolog et al...

Any TRV Device Settings to make the recording of TRV readings to CSV more timely?

I suspect I am doing something obvious and wrong here..... any pointers much appreciated.

Specifically the "TRV_Bathroom_setpointHeatRemote.csv" which I am trying to use for Graphing in MatPlotLib.

The Zwave Thermostat sensors are reliably getting readings back to Indigo every 10 mins OK.

But the "TRV_Bathroom_setpointHeatRemote.csv" may go 11 hours or more with updating with the temp readings.

I can work around this easily by tracking the zwave sensors directly in MatPlotLib - but trying to keep the work level down on the Mac by cutting down the (large) number of things I already have MatPlotLib do.

Here is a snapshot taken at 11:53 am today of one TRV CSV files

Indigo - TRV - CSV creation.jpeg
Indigo - TRV - CSV creation.jpeg (38.89 KiB) Viewed 2284 times

The other 7 TRVs have similar issues.

Posted on
Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:48 am
Busta999 offline

So using data exclusively from the TRV CSV files you get this graph...

Chart - Radiator - Bathroom.png
Chart - Radiator - Bathroom.png (19.75 KiB) Viewed 2257 times

Just trying to get my head around the Plugin.

So by my reckoning from that graph, the TRV Temp Sensor (Thermostat on Graph) and Remote Sensor (Actual temp) are getting readings consistently and ..

No Valve activity (correct as room temp did not fall below SetPoint)

The SetPoint (TRV_Bathroom_setpointHeat) is set to 17C consistently.
The SetPoint is dipping to 8C as part of the TRV Controller activity -
Last report was 12:05am
@AUTOLOG Anyway that could be avoided i.e. to extend battery life?

(TRV_Bathroom_setpointHeatTrv) stays consistently at 8C and last report was 12:06am

As an extra - using Enloop hybrid rechargeables they have been in since 22 June and still showing 45% battery left, as I recall it was showing 80% when I first put them in. That was during a British summer which was abnormally hot this year.

Testing Amazon own brand rechargeables next.

Posted on
Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:57 am
autolog offline

Probably not without some changes to the TRV code. :|

Your graph line for the setpoint would give a better indication if you set the Line Style to Steps Post - not that this would change what you are asking for.

I think the answer is to change the way the schedules are done and get rid of On and OFF periods and just have times and Required Setpoint.

I will try and have a look at this but not sure how much time it will take or how soon I can get round to looking at it. :)

Posted on
Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:12 am
Busta999 offline

The graphs as they are now demonstrate clearly what the TRV is doing and what is being asked of it..

I only created them to determine how they are operating :-)

I am keen on extending battery life though and certainly most of the battery drain throughout the summer will have been unnecessary valve tweaking - (unnecessary to delivering heat)

Less of an issue during winter months when the TRVs are working much harder.

So overall, no issue at all :-)

Now I have these graphs for all the TRVs I can track and look at ways of making them more efficient.

A side, but related project, has been tracking motion throughout the house - times and loading, with a view to allowing me to further tweak TRVs to better reflect actual usage/need.

Oh and BTW I circumvented the issue of two radiators (TRVs) in one room with two Thermostats and put a trigger on the main one, so that if the room temp setpoint is changed it is pushed to the secondary Thermostat too.

And finally, just noticed one of the Horstmann Themostats HRT4-ZW in Indigo (actually a Secure SR321) also has a Humidity Sensor built in, didn't know/expect that.

Just starting to think about impact of Humidity on Temperature / comfort level, I need to do some research but potentially may need to bump up temp to compensate for humidity ( and in the UK get a lot of rain)

Page 15 of 28 1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 28