Upgrade license issues

Posted on
Tue May 21, 2019 9:24 am
Turribeach offline

Upgrade license issues

So I am currently migrating my Indigo install to a new Mac. One of the issues I found was that all my plugins did not install on the new Indigo install (might be how this works but reported separately on another thread). Along with installing the missing plugins I had to configure them. For that I needed to go to my old Indigo install to check the various settings I used on those plugins and that's where I found a problem. As I had de-activated my previous Indigo install it wouldn't let me start the old install since it was de-activated and it couldn't find any deactivated licenses. This seemed wrong to me. I should be able to use the software in Trial mode without further faff. On the licenses page (https://www.indigodomo.com/account/codes) I couldn't see any options to create a trial license, only one to buy a new one which obviously I wasn't going to do. Initially deactivated from the new computer, re-activated on the old computer and went in to check the settings I needed. As I had to do this few times I revisited this issue and eventually I figured out that I could get a trial license with a single click on the trials page (https://www.indigodomo.com/trial). I would strongly argue that there should be a link on the Licenses page (https://www.indigodomo.com/account/codes) to create a trial license. In fact why not make even more user friendly and have the Indigo server offer the user to request one after the user logs in? (ie: present this dialog: "No available license found, would you like to request a free 30 days trial license?"). Also I don't like the fact that deactivation removes the user credentials completely, I think this is not needed and should be left alone. Thanks!

Posted on
Tue May 21, 2019 9:37 am
FlyingDiver offline

Re: Upgrade license issues

Why didn't you just copy the preferences files over to the new Mac?

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Posted on
Tue May 21, 2019 10:39 am
Turribeach offline

I followed the steps as per this page and this thread. I copied the whole Indigo folder to the new machine. I am not sure what to expect, those linked pages don't talk about having to configure plugins. Maybe I did something wrong or maybe my plugins folder is somewhere else? It's not clear to me, I which all the Indigo data was self contained in the database file, much easier to backup, restore, etc...

Posted on
Tue May 21, 2019 10:45 am
FlyingDiver offline

Turribeach wrote:
I followed the steps as per this page and this thread. I copied the whole Indigo folder to the new machine. I am not sure what to expect, those linked pages don't talk about having to configure plugins. Maybe I did something wrong or maybe my plugins folder is somewhere else? It's not clear to me, I which all the Indigo data was self contained in the database file, much easier to backup, restore, etc...

Hmm. That refers to Indigo 7.2. Current version is 7.3. So the path has changed from 7.2 to 7.3 (slightly). Were you running 7.2 or 7.3 at the time you copied the files over? And if you look at the location you copied over, were the plugins and preferences files there?

joe (aka FlyingDiver)

Posted on
Tue May 21, 2019 10:51 am
Turribeach offline

I upgraded to 7,3 before migrating and I obviously backed up the 7,.3 folder, not the 7.2. I see now where the plugin preferences folder is, I will copy that manually again. Not sure what happened there. My zip file does have everything, I just double checked it.

Posted on
Tue May 21, 2019 10:55 am
FlyingDiver offline

Turribeach wrote:
I upgraded to 7,3 before migrating and I obviously backed up the 7,.3 folder, not the 7.2. I see now where the plugin preferences folder is, I will copy that manually again. Not sure what happened there. My zip file does have everything, I just double checked it.

Something obviously got messed up with the copy, since you lost both the plugins themselves and the preferences files for them. That's certainly not the expected behavior.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)

Posted on
Tue May 21, 2019 11:29 am
Turribeach offline

I think I have a clue. Before migrating I upgraded to 7.3 on the old system. Then I copy the zip and upgraded on the new computer. I suspect the upgrade must have wiped my plugins?

Posted on
Tue May 21, 2019 11:35 am
FlyingDiver offline

Turribeach wrote:
I think I have a clue. Before migrating I upgraded to 7.3 on the old system. Then I copy the zip and upgraded on the new computer. I suspect the upgrade must have wiped my plugins?

Maybe. Shouldn't have, but maybe you confused the upgrader by the order you did things. Certainly upgrading in place worked fine on both of my systems.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)

Posted on
Wed May 22, 2019 10:14 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Given this post and your other post, I'm afraid that you ended up somehow not getting a completely backup of the appropriate Indigo folder on the original Mac. Just seems like there are too many things missing that should have been there if the original source folder was used.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Wed May 22, 2019 10:43 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Indigo's installer logic that copies over plugins/settings from the previous version (from 7.2 to 7.3 in this case) only occurs the first time the installer is run on a particular Mac (for that version). That is, it only happens if the 7.3 folder doesn't already exist. We do this because users can re-run the installer at a later date and we don't want to re-copy what would now be (in most cases) older settings and plugins again.

So the order is important in this case. Migrate over your older files first, then run the newer installer on the new Mac. You can trick Indigo into doing its migration logic by deleting the 7.3 folder (backup anything you want first of course!) before running the installer.

It sounds like the above logic doesn't totally explain this scenario since you installed the upgrade on the old Mac first, but I'm not sure.

Page 1 of 1