Make a motion sensor device from a SecuritySpy camera?

Posted on
Sun May 12, 2019 6:31 pm
emergent offline

Make a motion sensor device from a SecuritySpy camera?

Is this possible and how would you go about it? I want to make a motion sensor device that changes stastes when the camera detects motion.

Posted on
Mon May 13, 2019 5:53 am
norcoscia offline

Re: Make a motion sensor device from a SecuritySpy camera?

I set up a variable with a motion trigger - then use the variable to change the icon on my control pages. I guess you could do the same with a virtual device -- if you really need it to be a device but I have never tried it that way (I don't think). Hope that helps!
Attachments
2019-05-13_04-43-12.jpeg
2019-05-13_04-43-12.jpeg (14.29 KiB) Viewed 4134 times
2019-05-13_04-47-21.jpeg
2019-05-13_04-47-21.jpeg (26.63 KiB) Viewed 4134 times

_______
Norm

Posted on
Mon May 13, 2019 4:40 pm
emergent offline

I assumed it would be something like that. I have no idea how to do it though unfortunately.

Posted on
Mon May 13, 2019 4:52 pm
norcoscia offline

Create a variable set it to off

Then create a trigger on camera motion - pick the camera (under edit event settings) like the one below

do whatever you want in the action of that trigger - I set the variable to on, start a two min. timer then set it to off (for the control page).

Let me know if I can help or if that is what you are looking for :-)
Attachments
2019-05-13_15-47-57.jpeg
2019-05-13_15-47-57.jpeg (18.51 KiB) Viewed 4100 times
2019-05-13_15-47-43.jpeg
2019-05-13_15-47-43.jpeg (41.96 KiB) Viewed 4100 times

_______
Norm

Posted on
Mon May 13, 2019 4:56 pm
emergent offline

Sorry, that part I have no issue with and is what I did. Once I get to that point I'm not sure how to make the virtual device.

I go to make a virtual device, but I don't know to use the trigger since it's asking for Action Group information.

Posted on
Mon May 13, 2019 5:10 pm
norcoscia offline

I think you can just create the virtual device - no need to assign an action group for on or off - then just toggle it on or off in the trigger of the security spy event as needed....

_______
Norm

Posted on
Mon May 13, 2019 5:21 pm
emergent offline

I wish that was the case. You need to assign an action group, unfortunately.

Posted on
Mon May 13, 2019 11:58 pm
siclark offline

Try the meta device relay. That can be a dummy switch with no action. Think it needs the plugin installed though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Tue May 14, 2019 4:20 am
norcoscia offline

It only need an action group if you want it to do something when it changes on/off state - I have one set up that way - you can then just change it with a trigger. It would help if you explained what your trying to accomplish and why you need the device / vice just using a variable?

If you do want it to do something just make an action group for what it does when on and off

Action groups are just a bunch of trigger actions - I'm no expert so maybe someone using more action groups than me can help.
Attachments
2019-05-14_03-17-57.jpeg
2019-05-14_03-17-57.jpeg (77.46 KiB) Viewed 4011 times
2019-05-14_03-12-44.jpeg
2019-05-14_03-12-44.jpeg (147.12 KiB) Viewed 4011 times

_______
Norm

Posted on
Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:05 pm
Perry The Cynic offline

A perhaps more flexible (and elegant, if I say so myself) approach just appeared in the Cynical Behaviors plugin. It's called a Presence device, and it's designed to express, well, presence and absence of something (usually people) by combining sensor inputs and timeouts in creative ways. Presence takes the place of the Indigo variable discussed here, but it's a self-managing device that tries to take care of various edge cases and race conditions. (It's actually a Relay device that's on when presence is detected and off when all is quiet.)

The canonical way to combine Cynical SecuritySpy with Presence devices is to make a SecuritySpy motion trigger whose action is a Trigger Device Control for the Presence device.

Cheers
-- perry

Posted on
Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:54 pm
agame offline

for me, the really simple way to achieve this has been to create a vitual x10 motion sensor, and switch this on and off with triggers/delayed actions. works a treat. I think its simpler than configuring the 'mainstream' indigo virtual device for this kind of purpose.

its documented somewhere in the forum, but I can no longer find the link. if you create an X10 device, and in the notes field place the comment:

- sample device -

it will work as a virtual device and can then be switched on and off through triggers and delays. [I wish the 'true' indigo virtual devices could be set up like this without worrying about unwanted action groups].

[but the cynical behaviours presence sensor does sound interesting to play with and is doubtless more elegant!]

Posted on
Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:48 am
Perry The Cynic offline

For what it's worth, a Presence device can certainly be used as a virtual relay device - you can explicitly switch it on or off with Indigo actions, and it's not connected to any "real" hardware. (Plus it has a timer and can respond to sensors and stuff, but you can ignore those parts if you don't need them.)

I didn't know about the X10 trick. Interesting...

Cheers
-- perry

Posted on
Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:45 pm
kwijibo007 offline

Thanks for addition of the Presence device and the plugin.

Perry The Cynic wrote:
The canonical way to combine Cynical SecuritySpy with Presence devices is to make a SecuritySpy motion trigger whose action is a Trigger Device Control for the Presence device.

When I try to trigger the presence device via Device Actions -> Cynical Behaviours Controls ->Trigger Device Control, nothing is available from the dropdown box (I only have the one device via the plugin but it's not shown). Am I doing something wrong? The presence device has nothing configured except that I changed the Duration field. Everything else is untouched. I did manage to get the desired result by configuring the trigger action to "Turn On" via the standard Light/Appliance Controls.

I have a feature request. Would it be possible to make an Indigo sensor device which has no On/Off controls and has the standard sensor state icon? I would love to have a device for Security Spy cameras which looks and feels just like a motion sensor.

Pete

Posted on
Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:09 pm
mundmc offline

agame wrote:
for me, the really simple way to achieve this has been to create a vitual x10 motion sensor, and switch this on and off with triggers/delayed actions. works a treat. I think its simpler than configuring the 'mainstream' indigo virtual device for this kind of

This IS a treat. Since it’s not an Indigo Virtual Device, can you put it in another virtual device group? This is really cool.

Posted on
Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:56 pm
Grognard offline

I'm having the same problem that Pete is, tried creating everything from scratch and still no dice.

kwijibo007 wrote:
Thanks for addition of the Presence device and the plugin.

Perry The Cynic wrote:

When I try to trigger the presence device via Device Actions -> Cynical Behaviours Controls ->Trigger Device Control, nothing is available from the dropdown box (I only have the one device via the plugin but it's not shown). Am I doing something wrong? The presence device has nothing configured except that I changed the Duration field. Everything else is untouched. I did manage to get the desired result by configuring the trigger action to "Turn On" via the standard Light/Appliance Controls.

I have a feature request. Would it be possible to make an Indigo sensor device which has no On/Off controls and has the standard sensor state icon? I would love to have a device for Security Spy cameras which looks and feels just like a motion sensor.

Pete