Garage Door Opened By Itself??

Posted on
Sat May 11, 2019 3:34 pm
petematheson offline

Garage Door Opened By Itself??

Hi Guys,

Need a little assistance here - slightly concerned as it's a security issue for me.
Just a moment ago our Garage Door opened by itself.

First thing I knew was the Apple Homekit pop up on my iPhone to say the door was open.

I have the Aeotec Z-Wave Garage Door opener set up in indigo, which then Integrates with Homekit.

From my Indigo Log, all I see is:

11 May 2019 at 22:23:21
Z-Wave received "Garage Door." status update is opening
Trigger Garage - Turn on light when door open (This just turns on the garage flood light)
Trigger Garage Door Timer - Open (this starts a countdown timer to text me when it's open for more than X minutes)
Sent Hue Lights "Outside Lights 1" on to 100 at ramp rate 0.0 sec.
Sent Hue Lights "Outside Lights Front of Garage" on to 100 at ramp rate 0.0 sec.
Z-Wave sent "Garage Lights" on
Z-Wave sent "Driveway Flood Light" on
Trigger Garage Door Open
Trigger Garage Door Opened Sonos
DSC Alarm Alarm Zone 'Garage Door - Alarm' Opened.
Sonos Announcement: Garage Door is Open, Volume: 40
Sonos remove zone from group: Sonos Kitchen
Sonos ZonePlayer: Sonos Kitchen, Current Volume: 9, New Volume: 40
Sonos Announcement Length: 1.46283333333
Trigger Set Sonos Volume

I guess the temporary fix is to pull the power to the Aeotec device overnight just in case somehow someone else nearby has triggered it?

Posted on
Sat May 11, 2019 4:01 pm
petematheson offline

Re: Garage Door Opened By Itself??

Thanks,

It's a Hormann opener, and yes it has a tilt sensor mounted on the door to detect when other things have triggered the open.
I did think I could disable the indigo communication, but then I'd have no notification at all if the garage door is open which is a step back, providing it's not the thing causing the open in the first place.

The button in the garage IS the Aeotec module, as it also acts as a hardwired button with a Z-Wave module... hmmm :/

Posted on
Sun May 12, 2019 2:47 am
howartp offline

I’m not familiar with the remotes for garage doors, but if it’s on your car key ring is it possible you sat on it in your pocket?

Do I also recall Tesla has the ability to broadcast garage-open commands using some known protocol?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Posted on
Sun May 12, 2019 4:21 pm
petematheson offline

Ok, so very weird.
Woke up this morning with the garage door open. Checked the logs and again, Garage Door was seen 'opening' at around 6am.

2019-05-12 06:01:55.305 Z-Wave received "Garage Door." status update is opening
2019-05-12 06:01:55.306 Trigger Garage - Turn on light when door open
2019-05-12 06:01:55.307 Trigger Garage Door Timer - Open

It's not happened at all today (we've not been home and have taken the car).
Since then, I've done a reset of my car - since yep, you're right - the car has the ability to trigger homelink itself, and the times that the garage door opened line up with the times that the car has started and then stopped charging.... very strange I know! But I can't think of any other explanation so far.

Hoping it's just a weird bug in the Tesla software, one that's been fixed by a reboot that is - otherwise I might call Tesla to check over the logs to ask why it was opening the garage door by itself... !

Posted on
Sun May 12, 2019 7:33 pm
howartp offline

Cool, glad I could shed some light on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Posted on
Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:09 am
johnpolasek offline

Just a question; does the Door opener have a "security lockout" on it? Our old Sears one had a set of contacts that were run to a second on/off switch on the opener button labeled "lock" and when that switch was on it ignored radio signals, so you had to use the button in the garage or a (spring loaded) key in the door jamb to open or close the door. This was supposedly intended for use to keep transmitter scanners from getting in while you were on vacation or the like... If your opener has a similar set of contacts, you could get a relay (insteon, Z-wave, or rPi) and allow Indigo to lock out the Tesla (and everybody else) when you are home.

Page 1 of 1