Looking for Beta Testers

Posted on
Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:46 am
norcoscia offline

Re: Looking for Beta Testers

Sure - BTW, do you ever think you will add Insteon devices to your battery chart? I know they use a different mechanism but a good state or bad state is possible to derive if no heartbeat in 24 hours?

_______
Norm

Posted on
Sun Mar 31, 2019 5:05 am
DaveL17 offline

norcoscia wrote:
Sure - BTW, do you ever think you will add Insteon devices to your battery chart? I know they use a different mechanism but a good state or bad state is possible to derive if no heartbeat in 24 hours?

IIRC, Insteon devices don't report their battery levels, do they?

I'm willing to take a look. I'll need someone to send me the Indigo device definitions for some battery-powered devices to play with.

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Sun Mar 31, 2019 5:17 am
norcoscia offline

The way they work is by using a simple counter circuit - since they don't have real time clocks a crystal oscillator just counts up and when it reaches a certain count each device sends a heartbeat. If I remember correctly that number of ticks is (about) 24 hours. Once it sends the heartbeat it resets and starts the process over.

I wish keeping track of them was organic to indigo but since it is not I have a ton of variables that I increment once a day then a ton of triggers that zero each variable whenever a heartbeat is received. If the count of any variable > 2 then I declare that device to have a dead battery.

It is a huge mess and if somehow it could be set up as easy as your zwave battery chart it would let me (and I assume most people) get rid of a ton of clutter in their setups.

If you are interested I can look up and document what values are sent in the heartbeats- It might take me a few days but happy to do it if you are interested.

_______
Norm

Posted on
Sun Mar 31, 2019 6:21 am
DaveL17 offline

Thanks Norm - I'm willing to take a look at this, but I don't want to have the Matplotlib plugin to become something other than a charting plugin. If it's as easy as seeing whether a heartbeat has been sent recently, that should be fairly easy. If it's going to require the plugin to monitor Insteon devices continuously for heartbeats, I think that's beyond the scope of what the plugin is designed for.

Posted on
Sun Mar 31, 2019 6:34 am
norcoscia offline

Yes, (IMO) it would require looking for heartbeats 24 - 7 -365 and then determining if it has been greater than 24 hours since one has been seen from each device. It would not be a chart so to speak but a list of devices that would either be OK or considered dead. I understand it it is not a good fit for a charting plug-in. I just find it hard to believe no one has made a plug-in for Insteon battery devices since they are a big part of the Indigo ecosystem. It is beyond my ability to code up a plug-in :-(

PS. I'm not even sure if it on the wish list with Jay and Matt - seems like one of them could punch it out while they are sitting on the pot :-)

_______
Norm

Posted on
Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:29 pm
DaveL17 offline

You might try putting out a call in the appropriate forum to see if anyone has already taken a run at that. Seems like there would be a demand for it.

Posted on
Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:15 pm
DaveL17 offline

I think this will be the next official release. v0.7.57 is posted to GitHub, to try it out, you'll need to download the ZIP file from the main build page (this is not yet a release for public consumption.) To catch up, here is the complete change log from the last official release in the Indigo plugin store (v0.7.18). A big debt of gratitude goes out to those that have been willing to test interim builds and work through the various bugs. Given the sheer number of changes, this will probably be released as v0.8.0 when it becomes an official release.

v0.7.57
  • Moves 'None' options in drop-down lists to bottom of list (per Indigo standard.)

v0.7.56
  • Adds check to ensure that the plugin is compatible with Indigo version.

v0.7.55
  • Re-fixes float error in the duration value for CSV refreshes.

v0.7.54
  • Fixes float error in the duration value for CSV refreshes.
  • Moves dev prop maintenance routine to deviceStartComm.

v0.7.53
  • Adds tests to alert the user that they're saving charts to the wrong location (when the Indigo version is updated.)
  • Fixes bug where battery level being displayed regardless of setting.

v0.7.52
  • Better handles long device names in Battery Health chart.
  • Plots title relative to figure instead of to plot.
  • Fixes KeyError bug in pluginEnvironmentLogger 'isChart'.

v0.7.51
  • Adds control to hide device names on battery health charts.
  • Improves plotting of battery level values on battery health charts.
  • Code refinements.

v0.7.50
  • Consolidates chart plot logging into single method.
  • Help bubble refinements.
  • Code refinements.

v0.7.49
  • Standardizes plotting of X axis label across all devices.
  • Standardizes plotting of chart title across all devices.
  • Standardizes save image code across all devices.
  • Refines <SupportURL> behavior across all plugin elements.

v0.7.48
  • Adds support for charting 'Armed' and 'Disarmed' values.

v0.7.47
  • Improves handling of CSV data updates when duration is set to zero (no limit.)

v0.7.46
  • Fixes empty text instances for custom Y tick labels (where locations are defined but labels are not.)

v0.7.45
  • Adds feature to Battery Health Device to plot a background box for battery level values.
  • Improves validation for chart axis limits (Y Min, Y Max, Y2 Min, Y2 Max).
  • Improves code for plotting Y1 and Y2 axis limits (Y Min, Y Max, Y2 Min, Y2 Max).
  • Code refinements.

v0.7.44
  • Updates config dialog text for Battery Health Chart - excluded devices (language referred to legacy control.)
  • Adds requirement that the custom Y tick labels field and custom Y tick values field be the same length.
  • Fixes bug for Battery Health Chart to remove "No Battery Devices" dummy device when actual devices present.

v0.7.43
  • Adds default entries for legend labels (will only be displayed if Display Legend option is enabled.)

v0.7.42
  • Refines configuration dialog control labels.
  • Deletes unneeded Fill control from Bar Devices (bar 4).

v0.7.41
  • Fixes bug in format_axis_y_ticks where error was thrown under certain conditions (including 'None', '', and ' '.)
  • Improved error logging.

v0.7.40
  • Fixed bug in line charting for TypeError: list indices must be integers, not str'

v0.7.39
  • No longer allows creation of CSV device without establishing at least one data source.
  • Fixes bug in validation of plugin configuration settings for change logging.
  • Improves docstrings.

v0.7.38
  • Adds process garbage collection to runConcurrentThread().

v0.7.37
  • Chart update processes are no longer blocking.
  • Puts CSV refreshing back in the main thread.

v0.7.36
  • Moves CSV refreshing to its own process.

v0.7.35
  • Fixes bug in custom line segments where only the first custom line is plotted.

v0.7.34
  • Fixes bug in duration setting for CSV devices.

v0.7.33
  • Further improves maintenance of legacy props in all chart devices.
  • Moves maintenance tasks to separate module.

v0.7.32
  • Further improves maintenance of legacy props in all chart devices.
  • Set all device UI icons to off state when comm killed through plugin menu action.
  • Fixed bug in snappy config menus which created unneeded device props.

v0.7.31
  • Fixed bug in bar chart config dialog where X axis grid setting not hiding properly.

v0.7.30
  • Improves logging of plugin prefs when changes made using configuration dialog.
  • Fixes placement of line 6 suppression option in line chart device configuration dialog.

v0.7.29
  • Improves resiliency to CSV files that contain 1 or fewer observations.
  • Changes the default timestamp from the epoch to current time (retains the epoch as the default device last refresh).
  • Adds trap for RuntimeError when trying to save chart image to address the 'too many ticks' error.
  • Adds trap for TypeError when trying to generate a best fit line segment to address the 'int' object is not iterable error.
  • Adds number of chart devices and CSV engine devices to plugin environment logging.

v0.7.28
  • Improved conversion of legacy line fill properties to bool type.

v0.7.27
  • Reorders plugin device model list when editing device.
  • Improves error logging.
  • Cleans up XML attributes.

v0.7.26
  • Revises chart device names for consistency.
  • Fixes bug in battery chart device "KeyError: 'customSizeChart'. "

v0.7.25
  • Adds choice to bar, line and scatter charts to suppress the plotting of individual data elements. The data and all settings are retained.

v0.7.24
  • Synchronize self.pluginPrefs in closedPrefsConfigUi().

v0.7.23
  • Adds choice to set bar width to make it simpler for first time device creation. If the value is set to zero, the plugin will attempt to set an attractive bar width automatically. Zero is now the new default for new bar chart devices.
  • Changes menu items from "En/Disable All Devices" to "En/Disable All Plugin Devices".
  • Changes default font for Calendar Devices to 12 pt (to better fit the default image size for non-retina screens.)
  • Changes behavior of custom size chart checkbox so that now, custom size values will only be honored when the custom size checkbox is checked.
  • Improves validation of plugin device configuration settings.
  • Improves setting of Y1 limits and better handles condition where limits set improperly when all observations are the same value.
  • Updates CSV device validation for duration (data to keep).
  • Updates behavior so that if all CSV data are older than the time limit, the plugin will return the original data and warn the user.
  • Refines grid settings for Polar Chart Devices
  • Fixes bug in Line Chart devices where customizations (like best fit or fill) would result in an 'argument dimensions are incompatible' error.
  • Fixes bug in default line color settings for Weather Forecast devices.
  • Fixes bug in new CSV data source names that contain extended Unicode characters.
  • Fixes bug in new and existing Polar Chart data source names that contain extended Unicode characters.
  • Fixes bug where data header name was converted to 'NaN' while data quality repairs were made.
  • Fixes bug where line chart best fit property incorrectly stored as a string. Will convert legacy devices in this state to boolean.
  • Changes Python lists to tuples where possible to improve speed.
  • Updates kDefaultPluginPrefs
  • Code refinements.

v0.7.22
  • Removes dependence on pandas library.
  • Code refinements.

v0.7.21
  • Removes default location from plugin preferences for data and chart save locations.

v0.7.20
  • Improves resiliency in dealing with malformed CSV files.
  • Adds new date formats for chart axes:
    Jan 16 [M D]
    Jan 16 2019 [M D Y]
    16 Jan [D M]
    2019 Jan 16 [Y M D]
  • [Line Devices] Hides the best fit color control until the "Plot Best Fit" checkbox is selected.
  • Fixes bug in date/time format specifiers.
  • Improves CSV item processing performance.
  • Fixes bug in manual refresh Action.
  • *Attempts* to work around pandas bug in rare csv write bug where the string '-01-01 00:00:00' is added to observation data.
  • Refines plugin logging.
  • Improves under-hood maintenance to ensure that the plugin and its devices are up to date for the installed version (plugin preference, device properties, etc.)
  • Code refinements.

v0.7.19
  • CSV Engine / Edit Data Item / Data Source control now returns a case-insensitive sorted list.
  • Fixes bug in naming of CSV Engine data items that contain Unicode characters.
  • Ups the default duration limit to no limit (where it should have been in the first place.)

Posted on
Wed Apr 03, 2019 4:55 am
norcoscia offline

Hi Dave, I just updated - I did get some errors in the log but it seemed to have resolved itself and everything seems to be working now - just FYI in case it helps.....
Attachments
2019-04-03_03-53-19.jpeg
2019-04-03_03-53-19.jpeg (133.87 KiB) Viewed 3680 times

_______
Norm

Posted on
Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:42 am
DaveL17 offline

Thanks Norm - those errors are cause by some part of the plugin not shutting down as gracefully as it should as the new version of the plugin is installed. Now that the new version is installed, you should be okay. I'll take another peek at that.

Thanks!

Posted on
Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:56 am
norcoscia offline

Are there any plans (or is there any way) to have a chart auto adjust its top and or bottom boundary's. I have a chart that I track wind on and most of the time the wind is under 10mph but once in a while the wind will get up pretty high.

I would be nice if the top of the graph would self adjust so if the wind (within the charted dates) go up to 60 mph the chart would set the top of the chart to 70 (automatically ) - but if in the given chart period the highest wind was 20 mph the top of the chart would be set to 30 mph.

Does that make sense?
Attachments
2019-04-03_04-55-22.jpeg
2019-04-03_04-55-22.jpeg (93.69 KiB) Viewed 3672 times

_______
Norm

Posted on
Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:15 am
DaveL17 offline

The plugin does this already. If you don't set the following properties for the Y axis, the scale should adjust automatically based on the data plotted.

Y axis min
Y axis max
Tick labels
Tick locations

Any of these settings will override aspects of the automatic scaling (and labeling.) That said, you can set the Y axis min to zero and leave the Y axis max set to None which will cause the plot to always have the axis start at zero but let the max adjust automatically. I use these settings a lot.

For example, I have my humidity charts limited from 0 to 100 since we know that the value should never be outside of that range. But I don't like how the line intersects the top boundary of the chart when the humidity is 100 percent. So I set the Y axis properties like this:

Y axis min = 0
Y axis max = 105
Tick locations = 0, 20, 40, 60, 80, 100
Tick labels = 0, 20, 40, 60, 80, 100

chart_humidity_outdoor.png
chart_humidity_outdoor.png (16.87 KiB) Viewed 3668 times

Note the tiny gap at the top. But if I delete all these settings, the plot scales automatically:

chart_humidity_outdoor 1.png
chart_humidity_outdoor 1.png (19.85 KiB) Viewed 3668 times

Posted on
Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:32 am
norcoscia offline

Thanks, I forgot it did that - seems like I remember a setting somewhere to smooth (average) the lines out - is that in there or am I think of another plug-in
Attachments
2019-04-03_05-29-49.jpeg
2019-04-03_05-29-49.jpeg (84.97 KiB) Viewed 3664 times

_______
Norm

Posted on
Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:26 am
DaveL17 offline

I don't think there's a smooth option in there now. IIRC, there were issues with Matplotlib's smoothing parameter--but I could be wrong about that. I'll add it to the feature request list to look into more deeply.

Posted on
Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:59 am
norcoscia offline

OK, thanks Dave!

_______
Norm

Posted on
Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:06 am
IndigoSam offline

In the Line Chart 'device', would it be possible to have 8 lines?

Sam.