Error - provider is having trouble

Posted on
Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:47 pm
laserman offline

Error - provider is having trouble

autolog -- Thanks for making this plugin- it adds an amazing dimension to HA!

I’m having recent problems with the Alexa-Hue Bridge plugin. One of the problems seems to be that it seems to be remembering devices/names that I have used earlier, but have changed or deleted. I'm not sure, but I think this is confusing Alexa.

For many of the devices I get the following error form Alexa: ""sorry- provider is having trouble. sorry provider is having trouble" (it repeats it twice)

For other devices, I get an acknowledgement tone from Alexa, but that action does not take place. I think these are devices that I’m not currently publishing, but they show up through discover devices…

I have tried deleting all of the devices within the bridge (I have about 14), and I have tried deleting the bridge all together to start from scratch, but I keep getting the same results. When I look on the alexa.amazon.com site, I see devices under home automation that I haven't published to Alexa for a while. I try telling the web site to forget all, but they keep coming back after the next "discover devices".

The last 2 devices I've added (very recently) work fine. The ones I've had for much longer and used with earlier versions of Alexa-Hue-Bridge seem to have the problem.

If I change the name of one of the problem devices to something different (like “fish lights”), it works perfectly. When I change it back to “Kitchen Lights” the problems return.

Is there a ways to completely remove any/all of the Alexa-Hue Bridge files and start from scratch? It seems like an earlier database or pref file is haunting me…

I’m running Indigo 7.2, Plugin 3.0.29, and using an Echo Dot Gen 2.

Thanks for your help!

Posted on
Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:54 pm
siclark offline

Re: Error - provider is having trouble

There is an option in Alexa, try the web page setup not the phone app, to delete everything Alexa has learnt. That might help you.
I used to have a kitchen Sonos device but renamed it to kitchen stereo. However Alexa Keir mishearing and saying "can't find device named kitchen sonos". There was no device with that name so she must have remembered.
Clearing the cache meant no more mishearings for me. Might be worth a try

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Mon Apr 01, 2019 6:31 pm
laserman offline

I've tried deleting from the web page setup many times too... :(

Posted on
Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:02 pm
siclark offline

No. The voice history training is different. I think you delete all history maybe. It's not just deleting the devices

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:17 am
autolog offline

laserman wrote:
.... Is there a ways to completely remove any/all of the Alexa-Hue Bridge files and start from scratch? It seems like an earlier database or pref file is haunting me…

No there isn't a way to do this but I could update the plugin to not automatically re-create past devices from previous versions of the plugin.
I will set it up as a new plugin config option.

I'll post back when I have a version that you can download from Github - hopefully later today. :)

Posted on
Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:08 am
laserman offline

autolog- thanks for the quick response!

I may have figured out my problem... I migrated my Indigo server from my iMac to a Mini a year or so ago. It appears that when I restart the older Mac, the indigo server runs by default in the background. I needed to open the Indigo app and manually stop the server... This seems to have created the appearance of additional (older) devices that Alexa would detect. I noticed on my iPhone app that my old Mac Indigo server was available when it should have been off line... All is now working great again! :)

Is there a way to prevent the old server from running automatically after a restart, or do I need to completely remove Indigo from my old iMac? I'd prefer keep it available as a backup if possible...

Posted on
Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:22 am
autolog offline

Glad you got it working. :D

I have just programmed a change and updated it as a pre-release to Github to allow the user to disable the auto-create of V3 devices from V2. :)

I would thought you should completely remove it but Matt/Jay would be in a better position to answer this. I am not sure how two versions would run with the new licensing setup. :)

Posted on
Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:31 am
DaveL17 offline

laserman wrote:
Is there a way to prevent the old server from running automatically after a restart, or do I need to completely remove Indigo from my old iMac? I'd prefer keep it available as a backup if possible...

Assuming you installed Indigo on the old Mac with a standard configuration, I think what you want to do is this:

Start up your old Mac.
Start the Indigo client.
From the client menu, select Stop Server.
From the client menu, select Start Local Server...
Make sure that the box next to "Auto start Indigo Server on user login" is unchecked.
Allow the Indigo Server to start normally.
From the client menu, select Stop Server.
Exit the Indigo client.

Now, when you boot the old Mac, the Indigo Server should not start.
Last edited by DaveL17 on Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:05 am
laserman offline

Thanks everyone. Awesome community!

Page 1 of 1