Devices work fine in iOS App but not voice via 'Hey Siri'

Posted on
Sun Mar 31, 2019 6:03 am
wormhole offline

Devices work fine in iOS App but not voice via 'Hey Siri'

So all my devices show up in the Home App. Can use them in the app fine. But Hey Siri doesn't work. Also the HomeBridge device in the app is grey, ie the three dots aren't green. What would cause this? THanks.

Posted on
Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:28 pm
durosity offline

Re: Devices work fine in iOS App but not voice via 'Hey Siri

Might help if you can post a screenshot of your home app, might make things a bit clearer?

Computer says no.

Posted on
Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:57 pm
wormhole offline

Here you go.
Attachments
8BFD9015-1A08-4B7C-A287-40CE15D06024.jpeg
8BFD9015-1A08-4B7C-A287-40CE15D06024.jpeg (150.6 KiB) Viewed 2707 times

Posted on
Sun Mar 31, 2019 5:50 pm
Colorado4Wheeler offline

So the HKB server, and all servers, will be gray because the don't do anything, they are simply a reference to the devices/accessories that they serve up. As for "Hey Siri" not working, that is not an HKB or even a HomeKit issue per-se, more than likely it's a phone issue.

My Modest Contributions to Indigo:

HomeKit Bridge | Device Extensions | Security Manager | LCD Creator | Room-O-Matic | Smart Dimmer | Scene Toggle | Powermiser | Homebridge Buddy

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Sun Mar 31, 2019 6:03 pm
wormhole offline

When you say a phone issue what do you mean? Why would my phone have anything to do with it?

Playroom lights is clearly a device known by the app.
Attachments
16CF8E29-F33E-442E-8D42-AC3566FD4C74.png
16CF8E29-F33E-442E-8D42-AC3566FD4C74.png (238.59 KiB) Viewed 2691 times

Posted on
Sun Mar 31, 2019 6:04 pm
wormhole offline

Was working the other day on the same iPhone XS last week before I rebooted my iMac.

Posted on
Sun Mar 31, 2019 6:07 pm
Colorado4Wheeler offline

Apple pretty inconsistently changes Siri terms. A few weeks ago I was able to say "open the garage door" and it worked great, now for some reason it won't because I have three doors in the garage that are controlled by Indigo/HomeKit so fortunately I already had an alias to my garage door as "Pod Bay Doors" (get the reference?) and now that's the only way I can open my garage door. Give that you may need to rename it because it may be hearing "Playroom" as "Play Room" and wanting to turn on a group of lights.

So it working a couple of weeks ago versus today: still not an issue with HKB because it has nothing to do with Siri terms and I don't see how it wouldn't work unless the name changed. If you can turn it on and off via HomeKit then HKB is working just fine and it's the Siri translation that is off.

My Modest Contributions to Indigo:

HomeKit Bridge | Device Extensions | Security Manager | LCD Creator | Room-O-Matic | Smart Dimmer | Scene Toggle | Powermiser | Homebridge Buddy

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Sun Mar 31, 2019 6:11 pm
wormhole offline

Ok. So how do i fix it? I mean it doesn’t recognize “kitchen lights” how does Siri mistranslated that?

Posted on
Sun Mar 31, 2019 6:38 pm
durosity offline

One trick I’ve found that works with misbehaving Siri commands is to move the device to another room, leave it a few mins, then move it back again. Might be worth trying that?

Computer says no.

Posted on
Sun Mar 31, 2019 6:55 pm
wormhole offline

Thanks. Tried that. No dice.

Posted on
Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:02 pm
rehafer offline

When you say “kitchen lights” are you trying to control all the lights in a room named kitchen or a device named “kitchen lights”? Both are recognized Siri commands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:34 am
durosity offline

wormhole wrote:
Thanks. Tried that. No dice.

What about a brand new room?

How many devices have you got linked into your iCloud account? And are they all running the same version of iOS/tvOS/etc? The reason I ask is I had a different issue last year where an iPad running iOS 9 was still on my account and that confused the hell out of HomeKit and kept corrupting the database. Didn’t have any issues with Siri directly but loads of other weird behaviours like things disappearing randomly, multiple versions of the same device appearing, the whole configuration reverting back to a state from weeks before.. it really caused huge issues!

Also how many HKB and genuine HomeKit devices do you have? If it’s not that many perhaps it’d be easier to just delete your HomeKit home and setup from scratch? Oooh there’s another idea.. setup a new HKB in indigo and add it to a new home in HomeKit and see if Siri responds to that. Give the room a unique name from your standard configuration!

Computer says no.

Posted on
Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:25 am
siclark offline

Is Siri trying to turn off all the lights in the Playroom room, rather than the device in the playroom?
If you haven't, create a room called playroom then rename the actual device to be something else. It can even just be lights (in home app it wil have the room name on front of it for identification in the summary screen)
Then Siri controls the room and not the device.
Also as pointed out if that doesn't work try renaming the room as Play Room.

Posted on
Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:55 am
DaveL17 offline

I have seen this situation too. One day I can say to my phone, "Hey Siri, turn on the foyer light." and it will work just fine. Another day and the command won't work--without me having changed a single thing in the equation. Moreover, I can invoke the same command using Siri on my MacBook and it will work (even though it simultaneously won't work on my iPhone.)

After researching this, I've found two things that seem to resolve the issue.
  1. Add specific shortcuts to via Shortcuts.app to invoke the Home.app action. This has worked in the past, but I can't confirm that it will always work.
    - or -
  2. Completely disable Siri on the iPhone, wait a while, re-enable it (including all the steps to get it to recognize your voice), wait a while, try command again.

I don't know why Siri would be getting into a bad state on the phone other than an iOS issue (especially since it has never not worked for me on the laptop). I don't believe this has anything to do with HKB.

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:53 am
Londonmark offline

I find I can sometimes only say switch on x rather than turn on x. It varies week to week. But switch on has never failed.