Using WiFi linked 'smart plugs' with Indigo

Posted on
Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:20 pm
sarahcat offline

Using WiFi linked 'smart plugs' with Indigo

Amazon and many others sell small, inexpensive on/off plugin controllers that will operate with a smart phone app and with Alexa and/or other voice control systems. These controllers do not require a hub because I presume they have their own IP addresses and use a WiFi network directly. Is there a plugin or is there any simple way to interface those devices from Indigo? I did search the plugin store and the forums and I can't find that the topic has ever been broached.

Is this an odd idea? These on/off plugin controllers are much less expensive than Z-wave or Insteon devices and could be useful for controlling heaters, fans, or lamps, without having the controller cost several times the cost of the controlled device.

I could use my phone or Alexa as the integration point, but I'd prefer to use Indigo. Any suggestions or thoughts why this doesn't make sense?

Posted on
Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:42 pm
sarahcat offline

Re: Using WiFi linked 'smart plugs' with Indigo

Thanks, Ianbrown!

Posted on
Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:09 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

The key takeaway is that all the WiFi devices use different and often proprietary APIs to control them. To build a plugin, there would either have to be a publicly available API or someone would have to reverse engineer the protocol.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:05 pm
siclark offline

I can recommend the TP link one, works perfectly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 1