Indigo Keeps Disconnecting Remote iTunes

Posted on
Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:48 am
jltnol offline

Indigo Keeps Disconnecting Remote iTunes

So I'm using Indigo on one computer, and iTunes on another. For the most part, this works as planned... even AirFoil on the "remote" computer does what it is supposed to do.

However, occasionally, I find that Indigo has disabled communications with the remote iTunes. It happened this morning and and I found this in the log:

Apr 8, 2018 at 11:05:11 AM
iTunes Error EN-05 iTunes-Studio iMac stopped due to the following error (will attempt to recover in 10 seconds):

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "statusThread.py", line 134, in run
File "itunes.py", line 57, in iTunesLogin
File "itunes.py", line 189, in updateCache
File "itunes.py", line 84, in ByteToHexStr
TypeError: 'NoneType' object is not iterable

iTunes Error EN-05 iTunes-Studio iMac has an unknown error - disabling

Just curious what might be the root cause of this issue. I have not doubt its most likely something in the ever changing landscape of iTunes, but just trying to figure out what causes this so I can avoid it in the future.

Posted on
Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:09 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Indigo Keeps Disconnecting Remote iTunes

That's in the reverse engineered library we've been using for years. I'm actually a bit surprised its worked as long as it has. My guess is that there may be periodic network issues and the library isn't very forgiving of those. Are both of those Macs on the same subnet?

I'll take a look at that area of the code and see if I can at least catch the error and ignore it rather than raise an unexpected failure (though, I have no idea what that might lead to).

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:10 pm
jltnol offline

Jay

Yes, both Macs are on the same subnet.. both wired, not WiFi.

This doesn't happen all the time.. but occasionally. Both the Indigo server computer and the iTunes server computer are left on 24/7, BUT since I had so much trouble getting Indigo to reliably "pause" the remote iTunes(it often did just the reverse...) I instituted an apple script to Quit iTunes on the remote Mac when I left the house, and one to open it up again when I returned.

Posted on
Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:01 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Does it recover by itself? If I had to guess, I'd say that iTunes is in the process of quitting when the plugin tries to talk to it and we're getting bad/incomplete data back when it does. Usually it'll just fail in the normal way (iTunes isn't actually running) but in this circumstance it's somewhere in the process of quitting (or perhaps starting up).

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:12 pm
jltnol offline

Hey Jay

It doesn't self-recover, even after a server re-start.

Just thinking thru this issue, I'm not having Indigo pause iTunes and Quit at the same time.. there is a 15 second delay, but I'm guessing on some occasions, due to latency and delay, they may actually execute close enough that it causes a problem. I'll try increasing the delay and see what happens.

I was trying unsuccessfully to get communications re-establised when I finally noticed the box was un-checked. As I said, this isn't a huge problem for me, and more happy to understand how to fix the communication problem than the cause. But at least I have a better understanding of what might be causing it to happen.

Thanks

Posted on
Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:05 pm
jltnol offline

Hey Jay

Still having this issue with iTunes disconnecting from Indigo... or the other way 'round. Would it be possible to update the plugin to "Enable Indigo Communications" as an option? This way at least I could create an action group to re-connect when necessary.

Or is there a way to do this via Python?

Posted on
Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:37 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:30 am
jltnol offline

Thanks

I had actually searched in the python forum for "enable communication", but got nada.

This should solve my problem.

THANKS

Page 1 of 1