Github Wiki Documentation Problem

Posted on
Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:12 pm
autolog offline

Github Wiki Documentation Problem

Not sure this is the correct forum, but here goes. :D

I am trying and failing miserably to push my TRV documentation to the Github wiki, I am using the Github Desktop (1.6.1).

I can clone the wiki OK. I then update the wiki on my Mac and but when I try to do a push origin back to Github, I am getting the error:
Authentication failed. You may not have permission to access the repository or the repository may have been archived. Open preferences and verify that you're signed in with an account that has permission to access this repository.

If I am logged into my Github account using Safari, I can edit the Wiki and the main code base OK.

I have spent too long on this and am close to giving up :cry: - I thought this was meant to be easy! :shock:

I have tried googling without much success. There is obviously something I am doing wrong. :)

Posted on
Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:34 pm
FlyingDiver offline

Re: Github Wiki Documentation Problem

You did set up your GitHub account info in the Preferences of GitHub Desktop, right?

I'm not sure if I've ever tried to push Wiki pages back to GitHub. I always edit those in a browser.

I just tested cloning one of my Wikis using GitHub Desktop. I edited one of the pages, made the commit, then pushed it back up. No issues.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Posted on
Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:48 pm
autolog offline

FlyingDiver wrote:
You did set up your GitHub account info in the Preferences of GitHub Desktop, right?

Yes, and entered my 2FA code to get signed in.

FlyingDiver wrote:
I'm not sure if I've ever tried to push Wiki pages back to GitHub. I always edit those in a browser.

AFAIK this is the only way you can imbed images in your pages as there isn't a mechanism to add them via a browser.

FlyingDiver wrote:
I just tested cloning one of my Wikis using GitHub Desktop. I edited one of the pages, made the commit, then pushed it back up. No issues.

That's encouraging, thanks for testing. :)

Did you click the copy button under the Clone this wiki locally label on the wiki page. Then, go to the Github Desktop > File > Clone Repository and enter the previous details?
That seems to work OK for me but doing the push back doesn't :(

Posted on
Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:12 pm
FlyingDiver offline

autolog wrote:
FlyingDiver wrote:

Yes, and entered my 2FA code to get signed in.

I don't recall doing that, but I must have. GitHub.com says I have authenticator app enabled.

autolog wrote:
FlyingDiver wrote:

AFAIK this is the only way you can imbed images in your pages as there isn't a mechanism to add them via a browser.

You can, sort of. You need to have them on a website somewhere and then put in the link. I think for the few I have I created a different repository just for the images and then linked to it. I think I learned that trick from C4W.

autolog wrote:
FlyingDiver wrote:

That's encouraging, thanks for testing. :)

Did you click the copy button under the Clone this wiki locally label on the wiki page. Then, go to the Github Desktop > File > Clone Repository and enter the previous details?
That seems to work OK for me but doing the push back doesn't :(

The copy button copies the URL to the clipboard, then I used the URL tab of the Clone Repository dialog box. Just paste into the first text field.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)

Posted on
Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:24 am
autolog offline

@FlyingDiver - Thanks for checking this out for me. :)

I am not sure why when I replicate what you do it doesn't work but it appears there is a bug in the Desktop that prevents wikis from being pushed back to Github. As yours worked and mine didn't, I don't know what triggers it. :?

Anyway, I have now managed to upload the documentation to Github. :D

I deleted my SSH key and recreated it following the instructions on Github Help.
The Desktop still wouldn't work but it does work if I use the command line:
Code: Select all
git push origin master
No doubt this will be sorted at some point but it seems a bit basic when there are quite a few users complaining that it doesn't work.

Posted on
Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:53 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

It worked for me at some point, though I no longer own the repo where I was doing the pushing.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:02 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Ok, i just did this:

1) Copied the url from the Clone this wiki locally field on a wiki
2) Switched to Github Desktop and selected File->Clone Repository...
3) In the resulting dialog, I selected the URL tab and pasted the URL in to the first field and selected a location for the local path
4) Clicked Clone
5) Made a change
6) The change showed up in the Changes tab
7) Entered a summary and description and clicked Commit to master
8) Did a Push origin

And it worked as expected.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:42 pm
FlyingDiver offline

jay (support) wrote:
Ok, i just did this:

1) Copied the url from the Clone this wiki locally field on a wiki
2) Switched to Github Desktop and selected File->Clone Repository...
3) In the resulting dialog, I selected the URL tab and pasted the URL in to the first field and selected a location for the local path
4) Clicked Clone
5) Made a change
6) The change showed up in the Changes tab
7) Entered a summary and description and clicked Commit to master
8) Did a Push origin

And it worked as expected.

Exactly what I did. You just documented it better. I'm retired, I get to be lazy....

joe (aka FlyingDiver)

Posted on
Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:50 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

FlyingDiver wrote:
Exactly what I did. You just documented it better. I'm retired, I get to be lazy....

:lol:

Jay (Indigo Support)

Page 1 of 1