Conditional Trigger on Device Brightness not working

Posted on
Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:16 pm
welchgregusa offline

Re: Conditional Trigger on Device Brightness not working

This seems like the closest thread to a problem I'm having. I seem utterly unable to trigger off momentary paddle press brightness changes on any of my INSTEON SwitchLinc Dimmer devices, older (i2) or newer (i2CS). Using the Dimmer Extender plugin for example I can trigger successfully on INSTEON Stop Brightening/Dimming if I tap the dimmer down/off or up/on, but if I press and hold momentarily to dim/brighten and then release, the trigger does not happen. I've tried Device State Changed (e.g., Has Any Change), and all varieties of INSTEON Command Received, and nothing I have found allows me to trigger on a brighten/dim associated with a momentary paddle press. (Log file shows nothing for the momentary presses, but does show the triggers for the tap on/off, etc.) Does anyone have any thoughts on this, e.g., should it be possible w/ or w/o the Dimmer Extender plugin to trigger on INSTEON dimmer brightness changes resulting from momentary paddle presses?

I'm trying to do this because I am toying with ideas for keeping a "virtual dimmer" (created using a fake/demo X10 device) in sync w/ the actual dimmer state. One thought I had was to start a short timer (5 seconds?) after dimming/brightening stops, and when it expires match the "virtual dimmer" (X10 dimmer) brightness to the state of one of the corresponding linked INSTEON dimmers. My thinking was that the delay (via a timer) would allow the actual device states to stabilize before I jam a value into the virtual device, which would then turn around and try and set the INSTEON devices—it should match/override with the same value if things were stable.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Posted on
Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:51 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

So, a brightness has any change trigger isn't firing? That would indicate that the switch isn't reporting brightness changes...

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:18 pm
welchgregusa offline

Correct. I've tried several dimmers. (I have 93 in my house.) I've been an Insteon/Indigo user for a long long time, so some could be old, but some are newer. I have yet to find a SwitchLinc Dimmer that triggers on dimming/brighting when I'm pressing and holding the paddle on the switch. They trigger if I tap up/down (on/off) on the paddle, or if I change the brightness via Indigo (e.g., slider in Indigo Touch), but not if I press and hold the paddle up/down.

Posted on
Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:20 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

welchgregusa wrote:
I have yet to find a SwitchLinc Dimmer that triggers on dimming/brighting when I'm pressing and holding the paddle on the switch.

Ah, sorry, I wasn't reading your original post clearly enough. There isn't a built-in trigger for those start/end brighten/dim events because, as you see from the Dimmer Extender plugin (which uses the raw Insteon information that we would also use), those events are not reliable and can be quite sporadic. There are a lot of factors that can effect how well they work (and it's possible newer dimmers work better), but we've never been comfortable enough with their reliability to expose them as part of the built-in functionality.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn