Mac Apps plugin

Posted on
Sun May 20, 2018 12:53 pm
jrickmd offline

Re: Mac Apps plugin

Appreciate the plug-in. I downloaded and installed it for a specific purpose, quitting and restarting an app called Cloud Station Drive for syncing to my Synology. Works great EXCEPT for this specific app. :roll:

This is what I've found.

1) Setting an app with the Synology Cloud Station as it's name will launch the app when it is turned on, but will not recognize the app as running and (therefore?) won't quit the app

figuring out that the app in the Applications folder launches a different app, led me to

2) The plug in correctly determines that "the app" is running with the following settings:

Application
Application name: cloud-drive-ui
path: /Users/jrickmd/.CloudStation/

it will not launch that app nor will it quit the app, unless...

3) It will correctly quit the app in question if:

use special process name: Synology Cloud Station Drive (which is what shows up in the Processes list of Activity Monitor

However, when I change that setting, quit the app and restart it, it NO LONGER registers the app as running. I have to go and uncheck the "use special process name" setting to make it "see" the app running again. The have to go back and re-select the use special process name so that it both recognizes and is able to quit the app.

I perceive I will have to have 2 different devices set with this plug-in so that one is able to quit and one is able to launch the app, but need the quit-able one to recognize the use special process name without me manually resetting that check box.

Happy to do any further explaining or testing you may need.

Rick

Posted on
Sun May 20, 2018 1:13 pm
kmarkley offline

Sorry you're having an issue. That definitely sounds like a non-standard application. The plugin is just an indigo front end for basic terminal commands, so it's easiest to troubleshoot in terminal.

Can you launch the app and then run this command and post the results?:
Code: Select all
ps -awxc -opid,state,pcpu,pmem,lstart,etime,args | egrep "[Cc]loud"

Posted on
Tue May 22, 2018 6:03 pm
jrickmd offline

On further research, I discovered that the app in the Applications folder launches 3 different helper apps called by a different process name, AND uses a different app name to be able to close via Applescipt. :cry:

I tweaked the plug in to include another "extra" in the application device type as illustrated in the attached screenshot. I then added a 'quitName' key and changed the AppleScript to use that in it's quit call. Works perfectly now! :lol:
Attachments
Screen Shot 2018-05-22 at 18.57.21 .png
Screen Shot 2018-05-22 at 18.57.21 .png (86.26 KiB) Viewed 2875 times

Rick

Posted on
Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:51 am
mundmc offline

This plugin is great for monitoring the more memory/cpu intensive apps running on my server mac!

My question:
Can anybody provide sample config settings for monitoring processes that run under the name "IndigoPluginHost" with their own PID? I am kinda out of my depth here. I THINK these are helper apps, and I am uncertain how to enter their info correctly into the config dialogs.

Posted on
Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:58 am
kmarkley offline

For monitoring plugins, you might want to look at the Utilities plugin:
http://www.indigodomo.com/pluginstore/75/

Posted on
Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:49 pm
mundmc offline

Mac Apps plugin

kmarkley wrote:
For monitoring plugins, you might want to look at the Utilities plugin:
http://www.indigodomo.com/pluginstore/75/

Thank you! Funny thing is i have used this plugin (for sql database management), but not for this purpose. It is not immediately evident how i can get the info into a control page without tweaking, am imissing something?

Edit: Never mind, I just saw 20 new variables with cpu usage! Now- the system memory part...

Posted on
Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:16 pm
siclark offline

Mac Apps plugin

When you've solved the memory bit, let me know. I want to do the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:06 am
mundmc offline

siclark wrote:
When you've solved the memory bit, let me know. I want to do the same.

MunDMC
Fitter. Happier. More productive.

Posted on
Mon Mar 13, 2023 4:38 am
siclark offline

I was wondering if its possible to extract the power usage of the server Mac with this plugin too? There seems to be a python library that can do it, estimating based on CPU use (likely Intel only) "pyRAPL".

It would be a nice addition, if this is still being maintained.