Fantastic Weather Plugin Bug Reports

Posted on
Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:27 pm
sumocomputers offline

Re: Fantastic Weather Plugin Bug Reports

Dave,

I hope I am just doing something dumb, but on version 0.2.03 with Indigo 7.2, I am not getting a "Configure" option under either of the Plugin menus (see screenshot).

Nor am I able to see any Fantastic Weather device when adding a device.

I have tried reloading the plugin, stopping/starting the server, and even rebooting the Mac, but can't seem to get it to show.

Thanks,

Chris
Attachments
Screenshot 2019-01-15 18.19.34.png
Screenshot 2019-01-15 18.19.34.png (446.24 KiB) Viewed 6038 times

Posted on
Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:39 pm
DaveL17 offline

sumocomputers wrote:
I have tried reloading the plugin, stopping/starting the server, and even rebooting the Mac, but can't seem to get it to show.

Hi Chris - sorry to hear that you're having trouble with the plugin. The symptoms that you're describing are likely related. It seems that the plugin is not loading properly so it never gets to a point where you can view devices.

This is usually the result of two or three things (in decreasing order of likelihood):
  • The preferences file where Indigo stores the plugin settings is corrupted.
  • The internal plugin file (called PluginConfig.xml) that the Indigo server uses to establish and maintain the plugin's preferences isn't loading properly. This could be due to a malformed PluginConfig.xml file--but Ive run it through syntax checkers and there doesn't appear to be anything wrong with the file.
  • There is something within the initialization of the plugin (within the __init__ method of the plugin itself to be specific) that is not returning a result, and the plugin just hangs there because it can't finish initializing.
There may be others, but let's start here.

Please take the following steps (read to the end before beginning):
  • Make sure that you've made a copy of your API key.
  • Make sure that the plugin is disabled.
  • Go to this folder: /Library/Application Support/Perceptive Automation/Indigo 7.2/Preferences/Plugins/ (or which ever is appropriate for your version of Inidgo.)
  • Make a back-up of this file: com.fogbert.indigoplugin.fantasticwWeather.indiPref. (Select the file and then type CMD-D).
  • Delete the original file you just backed-up.
  • Reload the plugin. Hopefully, you will be presented with a plugin configuration dialog
If it works, you're going to have to re-enter the plugin preferences.

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:55 am
sumocomputers offline

So this was my first time trying to install the plugin. That being said, the Plugin Preference file did not exist (see screenshot).

I did install the previous version of the Plugin (v0.2.02), and immediately got the Config Dialog.

It seems maybe v0.2.03 has an issue?
Attachments
Screenshot 2019-01-16 04.46.00.png
Screenshot 2019-01-16 04.46.00.png (358.56 KiB) Viewed 6003 times

Posted on
Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:12 am
DaveL17 offline

Thanks for the report. The lack of the preferences file is probably why the config dialog wouldn't open. I can't guarantee it, but now that the config file exists, you should be able to update to the most current version.

I'll check it out. Could be that I mucked something up with the most recent update.

Posted on
Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:13 am
sumocomputers offline

Once I got the older plugin configured and it created the pref file, I got the latest version installed and reloaded, and it seems to be working on v0.2.03.

Thanks for the help.

Posted on
Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:20 am
DaveL17 offline

Was able to find the problem pretty easily. I will post an update to the plugin as soon as I can.

Thanks again for the report. I hope you find the plugin useful.

Posted on
Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:23 am
DaveL17 offline

sumocomputers wrote:
Once I got the older plugin configured and it created the pref file, I got the latest version installed and reloaded, and it seems to be working on v0.2.03.

Thanks for the help.

Great news. Thanks for letting me know.

Cheers.

Posted on
Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:14 am
Different Computers offline

here's a head scratcher:

I use Dark Sky on my iPhone and in Indigo. For the past week or more, my phone at my home address does not report the same conditions (temp, mostly) as FW in Indigo does. FW seems to otherwise be functioning properly, with a current status in Indigo of less than 10 minutes ago as I check it now. I realize that Indigo provides lat/long not address, but they should be really, really close and not subject to anywhere from ~5-15° temp difference.

But I do notice a special weather statement (about dry conditions and fire risk) does not seem to be showing in the plugin. Maybe special weather statements aren't alerts?

Oh, and my Indigo Mac runs High Sierra.

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:30 am
DaveL17 offline

That *is* interesting. The plugin reports whatever is sent to it by the API, and I can't really explain why there might be a difference. I just checked mine and they are nearly identical. For giggles, check your lat/long in Google maps and see how that compares to what's set in the Indigo server (or your weather device if you've not accepted the default from Indigo)..

I honestly don't recall if special weather statements are picked up as alerts or not. I suspect they might, but I could be wrong about that.

Posted on
Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:30 pm

Apple Maps reports my location as roughy two latitude AND longitude degrees different from what Indigo's does! This is probably from Indigo finding via my nearest upstream router that reports its location.

I've adjusted it in Indigo prefs. We'll see how things shake out now. Thanks!

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:28 pm
DaveL17 offline

Hopefully, that will help. Please let me know how it goes.

Posted on
Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:29 pm

So far my iOS and Indigo values are spot on.

I think that was it. Thanks for this great plugin! While poking around trying to figure this out, I realized a value that the plugin captures (cloudCover) that I'm going to be able to use in some fun ways that I had to really fudge before.

Posted on
Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:05 pm
DaveL17 offline

Good news. Thanks for letting me know. Good luck with the new data! :D

Posted on
Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:09 am
davinci offline

The new version 2021.1.0 broke the plugin on an M1 Mac:

Code: Select all
   Fantastic Weather Error         This plugin requires Mac OS version 10.13 or above.

Posted on
Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:33 pm
cesarvog offline

davinci wrote:
The new version 2021.1.0 broke the plugin on an M1 Mac:

Code: Select all
   Fantastic Weather Error         This plugin requires Mac OS version 10.13 or above.

Not only on M1 Mac. On x86 Mac also. In my case, updated form Indigo 7.5 to 2021.1 on MacPro 2013 (running MacOs BigSur 11.4) and the pllugin started showing the same error message posted by @davinci above.