kw123 offline

Ring security article

https://apple.news/AWScHl0_iSXmeinHLf6G-eA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:13 am
DaveL17 offline

Re: Ring security article

Nice. Thanks for sharing that Karl. I had no intention of buying any Ring products because they require the cloud (AFAIK).

But beyond that, it's a good reminder to lock cameras down behind a firewall and limit their availability outside the LAN.

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:15 am
jalves offline

Yup, another good example of why I try to avoid the cloud for my home automation needs.

(Yes, that is a rave for Indigo!) :D

Running Indigo 2023.2 on a 24" iMac M1), OS X 14.4
Jeff

Posted on
Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:54 am
DaveL17 offline

Not to hijack, but IMO @lanbrown is right--which a big part of my aversion to cloud-based services.

Relatedly, we have a Vizio display which I turned on the other day to see a message about changes to their TOS. These changes included agreeing to binding arbitration (not that unusual in the US) but also agreeing to waive all class action status. In other words, by using their services I must agree to effectively let them do whatever they want with me having effectively signed away all recourse. Still leaves me with one important avenue of recourse--to not buy any more Vizio products and to not use their services. I'm planning to block the display's WAN access completely (it's already on a Zombie subnet).

It's too bad. Vizio has a decent feature/price point mix, but I reckon it ain't worth it.

Posted on
Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:28 am
kw123 offline

The issue is that you can not buy a tv anymore that does not want to have full internet access and the legal text is likely the same everywhere.

Posted on
Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:42 am
mat offline

Now if only Amazon could listen in too....... :twisted: :evil:

Late 2018 mini 10.14

Posted on
Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:24 pm
DaveL17 offline

kw123 wrote:
The issue is that you can not buy a tv anymore that does not want to have full internet access and the legal text is likely the same everywhere.

You can find them, they just cost more (because the other TVs are subsidized by the services that pay to be on the menu.)

Posted on
Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:26 pm
Dewster35 offline

lanbrown wrote:
I really don't get the Smart TV aspect of it. You can buy a Roku, Amazon Fire, PS, AppleTV, whatever and make any TV into what a Smart TV is. The previously mentioned devices also do that job far better than what the Smart TV can actually do. All I really want is a display with multiple inputs and nothing more.

^This! I recently got a new Qled Samsung TV and I literally had to click through 7 screens to show what was coming in on one HDMI Port.

TV: It looks like you have a device plugged into me. Connect to the internet so I can find out what it is.

Me: No

TV: It looks like you have a device plugged into me. Tell me what it is.

Me: No

Tv: Let me control it too...

Me: No....

This went on for way too long for me to feel comfortable EVER wanting to enable wifi on this thing.

Posted on
Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:36 pm
kw123 offline

Hackers Can Spy on and Hijack Amazon Doorbell's Video Feed.... https://apple.news/A0UoYeoguTzeeaL4BOjQO-A

Page 1 of 1