Ubiquiti Camera Info request

Posted on
Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:19 am
RogueProeliator offline

Re: Ubiquiti Camera Info request

I just went through a bunch of research on this and I was very intrigued by the Unifi cameras (and still am); one warning Jay, for what it is worth... it looks like their NVR will only allow Unifi equipment, which means it is difficult to do a partial migration/upgrade and can't add a non-supported device such as a doorbell (which I would love if Ubiquiti would create...)

Their cameras are a bit expensive for what you get in terms of features (e.g. look at that new one Korey posted - $450+ with no PTZ, only a fixed view zoom), though perhaps they are of better construction than cheaper... of that I don't know.

I am just about to swap back to Unifi router and APs, equipment comes in today and tomorrow. Still deciding on cameras, after feedback on the forum I think I will go with Unifi or Blue Iris, but that is down the road.

Adam

Posted on
Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:19 am
mat offline

Jay,

I might not be the best person to comment, as by no means a expert here. I love the unifi network kit and have 5 access points, 4 switches and the USG3. I've noticed that with the Intrusion Detection active, my USG hits maximum load regularly, so have turned it off. If thats an important feature for you, you may want to look at the next model up, or check if others have had an issue.

Cheers

Mat

Late 2018 mini 10.14

Posted on
Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:57 am
GlennNZ offline

Hi

Probably a bit late to this - but UniFi networking great - have a rack full of it, and wifi access points++. Wasn’t that keen on USG a bit slow - and find standalone pfsense server better. But Poe switches, Sfp+ fibre all fantastic.

Cameras ...
Hmm...

Opinions on Ubiquiti (Unifi) Cameras?
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?share_ ... are_type=t

Fairly big thread here, plus a few other threads to review.

Glenn

Posted on
Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:23 am
CliveS offline

Personally I love Ubiquiti but when it comes to cameras I decided on the Dahua IPC-HDW5231R-Z and Blue Iris, unbeatable for the price and the Ubiquiti firewall rules will stop any attempt to "phone home"

CliveS

Indigo 2023.2.0 : macOS Ventura 13.6.3 : Mac Mini M2 : 8‑core CPU and 10‑core GPU : 8 GB : 256GB SSD
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The best way to get the right answer on the Internet is not to ask a question, it's to post the wrong answer

Posted on
Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:37 am
chase offline

I am not a fan of the ubnt cameras and NVR. The cameras are very limited in selection and expensive. Ubnt uses there own eco system that is not compatible with others.

The best solution for homes and small businesses is Blue Iris as the NVR with industry-standard ONVIF compatible cameras (name brand strongly recommended (Hikvision or Dahua).

PS I run only UniFi networking gear and AirMax radios so I am not anti-ubiquiti. Simply their security and VOIP solutions are not very good.

PSS. security spy is not a great value (super expensive compared to Blue Iris (right now $49.95 for up to 64 cams), many less intergrations than Blue Iris, and uses a lot of compute on your server. (A LOT if you have 10 or more cameras)

Posted on
Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:41 pm
agame offline

I'm a fan of the G3 UBNT cameras. I use with Security Spy (no NVR).
The G3 series can be configured for use independently of the UBNT ecosystem.

Posted on
Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:45 am
durosity offline

Korey wrote:
I have a 48 Port Unifi PoE Switch that I have removed the top and disconnected the teenie tiny fans and placed a giant slow moving fan above it as to keep it silent in the rack :wink: works great! also have a couple Unifi AP's mounted in the ceiling of the house.

How noisy is the stock fan system in the 48 port switch? I’d love to get one but it needs to be fairly quiet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Computer says no.

Posted on
Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:21 am
kw123 offline

I have the 24 port and you can not have that in a room where people are.

There are some discussions to replace the fans with very quite ones on the UniFi discussion forums

Posted on
Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:05 am
DaveL17 offline

kw123 wrote:
There are some discussions to replace the fans with very quite ones on the UniFi discussion forums.

I plan to make the switch myself (sorry) once my gear is out of warranty. For me, it's more of a convenience because the server rack is in the basement so noise isn't really an urgent issue. I expect that ubnt probably didn't think too much of the noise given that server rooms are typically very loud places to be.

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:13 am
Korey offline

durosity wrote:

How noisy is the stock fan system in the 48 port switch? I’d love to get one but it needs to be fairly quiet.

Like Karl says, Too Noisy!

they would probably be fine If I had a basement to hide them in, but no basement here in the desert.

I have a rack full of gear in my office closet, the fans were driving me crazy.

Here's what I did to make the switch silent:
Attachments
IMG_7174.JPG
Vent cover installed:
IMG_7174.JPG (93.07 KiB) Viewed 2719 times
IMG_7173.JPG
Vent cover removed
IMG_7173.JPG (133.54 KiB) Viewed 2719 times

--
Korey

Posted on
Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:34 pm
mat offline

I presume the noise is dependant on the ambient temperature. I have a couple of 24 port switches and the fans must be broken in both because they are silent :evil: background temperature is 18 - 21 deg C

Late 2018 mini 10.14

Posted on
Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:35 pm
durosity offline

Oooh nice! Mebbe I could do that. My loads on it would be minimal.. tbh I could get away with a 24 port but for tidiness I want the ports to span the whole front of the unit!

Computer says no.

Posted on
Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:35 pm
durosity offline

mat wrote:
I presume the noise is dependant on the ambient temperature. I have a couple of 24 port switches and the fans must be broken in both because they are silent :evil: background temperature is 18 - 21 deg C

Are they PoE switches?

Computer says no.

Posted on
Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:41 pm
mat offline

Yep, call past and have a listen....

I only have 11 plugs in the nearest one to me. Of those, 3 are supplying PoE.

so probably light usage.....

The other 24 has about 20 plugs in, of which 5 are providing PoE. Again silent.

Both 8's are full but silent too, but only 1 PoE in each.

Late 2018 mini 10.14

Posted on
Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:51 pm
durosity offline

mat wrote:
Yep, call past and have a listen.....

Southampton isn’t it?

I’ll probably wait to get it. The old Avaya gigabit switch I’ve got at the moment is more than sufficient.. I don’t actually need £700 worth of network switch. What I do need, however, is my new Mac mini to show up. Was supposed to be here today!

Computer says no.