Enabling/disabling HomeKit Accessory servers

Posted on
Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:39 pm
papamac offline

Enabling/disabling HomeKit Accessory servers

I have been using HomeKit Bridge for several months now and I love it... thank you very much for contributing this much-needed capability. We're now planning an extended trip and I thought that it would be best to disable HomeKit Bridge while we are gone and the security system is armed away. I can of course do this manually with the indigo client GUI, but I thought that a better solution would be a script that disables it whenever the security system is armed away and then re-enable it on disarm. I soon learned that there is no indigo system call to enable/disable plugins and that implementing this feature may be deemed a security threat.

DaveL4 suggested disabling individual devices, so I tried disabling my only HomeKit Accessory Server. This seemed to have no effect other than to remove the check in the Comms Enabled checkbox on the devices GUI. The HomeKit Accessory Server remained in the Running state and Siri kept servicing requests. Is there a way to disable/enable a HomeKit Accessory Server, or can you think of another way to achieve my objective?

Thanks,

David Krause

Posted on
Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:41 pm
FlyingDiver offline

Re: Enabling/disabling HomeKit Accessory servers

Have you tried disabling the bridge devices and then restarting the plugin?

You can do all of it in one script.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Posted on
Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:09 am
siclark offline

David, you absolutely can just turn off the relevant bridge device and then Homekit reports the devices as not responding. (although doesn't hide them)
The turning on and off of HKB devices can be occasionally hit and miss so check your logs when you turn it off, but from what I've seen if it doesn't successfully turn off, the device switch will remain on, reflecting the correct state. You can then check this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:52 pm
papamac offline

Thanks for all the suggestions. I have an alternate solution. Since I only really care about a burglar disarming the security system with Siri (HomePod), I thought that I would disable the HomeKit accessory that disarms. Unfortunately, this is an action group and action groups cannot be disabled. My solution is to write the action group in Python and conditionally disarm only if the security system is armed stay. Thus a burglar cannot disarm when we are away even if he somehow knows the magic words to tell Siri.

Thanks again for all your help.

David Krause

Page 1 of 1