TRV Beta Feedback Thread

Posted on
Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:36 am
siclark offline

Re: TRV Beta Feedback Thread

Still to load the latest version but it's it possible to turn all the messages off in the log? With 7 Spirits now the log is getting filled get quickly. I have the config debug box unticked.

Cheers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:30 am
autolog offline

siclark wrote:
Still to load the latest version but it's it possible to turn all the messages off in the log? With 7 Spirits now the log is getting filled get quickly. I have the config debug box unticked.

Looks like a bug. :oops:

On grandson duty today but will take a look at it tomorrow. :)

Posted on
Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:06 am
autolog offline

Hi Simon,
autolog wrote:
siclark wrote:

Looks like a bug. :oops:

I have just tried to reproduce this problem and failed which is another way of saying it works OK for me. :)

Turning the Debugging [Enable debugging options.] off i.e. unchecked, results in a message in the log of 'No debugging requested for TRV plugin' and no debug messages are produced.

Can you double check what your log says when you perform the same action i.e. turn it off?

Thanks. :)

Posted on
Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:56 am
autolog offline

First update of the new year, I have uploaded BETA V1.1.11 :)

This is the list of changes:
  • CSV Files were being restricted to one entry as the truncating by number of hours wasn't working correctly - now corrected! :oops:

This is a highly recommended update for all users - especially if you use CSV output files.

Posted on
Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:33 pm
siclark offline

Evening I upgraded to 11 anf tried ticking and unticking the box but still get log entries.

Any ideas?Image

Posted on
Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:09 pm
autolog offline

siclark wrote:
Evening I upgraded to 11 anf tried ticking and unticking the box but still get log entries.

Any ideas?

The messages are coming from Indigo (ZWave) when it sends and receives z-wave commands to the Spirits. The messages are not being output by the TRV plugin logging. Obviously, the TRV plugin is issuing the ZWave commands either directly via raw z-wave commands or indirectly by Indigo thermostat commands in order to monitor and control the Spirits.

I am not sure that they can be suppressed. In the Spirit device settings, you could try ticking/checking the Hide temperature message broadcasts in Event log which may help.

However, it looks like there needs to be another option to suppress Valve Messages added to the Indigo definition for a Spirit.

btw - Looks like your iPhone needs charging :wink:

Posted on
Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:25 pm
siclark offline

Morning, or is it still night?

It's not just the valve received status is all the status requests as well.

All adds up to a lot of rows every few minutes.

Is this an indigo change to stop logging these messages?
I do have the hide temperature messages broadcast from log ticked but do we need option to hide more?

Cheers.

Posted on
Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:30 am
autolog offline

Just posted a BETA update - Version 1.1.12 :)

This version has the following changes:
  • In the TRV Controller device settings a new option to Update All CSV Files. When this option is checked all the relevant CSV files for the device will be updated when any one of the states being output to the CSV file changes. This can help create a consistent graph.
  • A new Action: Device Actions > TRV Controls > Update All CSV Files - This will force an update of the CSV files for the device with current state values. This can be useful when displaying a graph in a Control Panel as it will make sure the data is up-to-date.
  • In the TRV Controller device settings a new option to define Device Start Heat Setpoint Method - This can be one of three values:
    1. Device Setpoint Minimum - will set the Heat Setpoint to the minimum off temperature [Default if not previously set]
    2. Leave As Is - will leave the Heat Setpoint at whatever the value is at the moment
    3. Specify Setpoint - Enable you to enter a specific temperature for the Heat set point in the Default Device Start Setpoint field.
    This gives you the flexibility to determine how you want your device to operate when it is restarted (which could be by a plugin reload).
  • In the TRV Controller device settings a new option to specify Valve Assistance - If the TRV supports Valve Commands, selecting this option can help expedite the response of the TRV to a setpoint change and also help ameliorate the situation where the TRV sometimes gets into a false state e.g. says it is off when the valve is still open. The plugin default setting is ON.
Here is an example graph produced by the Matplotlib plugin (Thanks Dave [@daveL17] :) ) that is displaying the CSV data produced by the plugin for a TRV Controller device:

MATPLOTLIB - T02 - Dining Room.png
Example Matplotlib graph for TRV Controller
MATPLOTLIB - T02 - Dining Room.png (25.82 KiB) Viewed 3724 times

My Control panel setup has a list of rooms and selecting (in this example) the Dining Room links to a specific Control panel page giving details of the dining room and displaying the graph as a refreshing image. On the parent control page, I set two server actions: the first to update All the CSV files for the device and the second to redraw the Matplotlib graph with a delay of three seconds.

Hope this might be a useful use case. :)

Posted on
Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:50 pm
Shutter offline

Hi Jon,

Any chance I could test your new plugin? I'm down to my last two Stella-Zs, and one of them is starting to miss updates. They've been my worst purchase. I've one Spirit that has been in its box for a year that I could replace it with.

I think our house knows that we plan to move - it's killing the Stella-Zs, and I've had a Fibaro dimmer relay fail and randomly turn on and off. Not fun at three in the morning. Had rip it out before the other half return from the US.

Thanks,

Simon

Posted on
Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:18 am
autolog offline

Shutter wrote:
... Any chance I could test your new plugin? ...

Yes, no problem - PM sent. :)

Posted on
Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:26 am
Shutter offline

Thanks Jon.

Simon

Posted on
Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:40 pm
autolog offline

New version (v1.1.14) uploaded to normal location. :)

Minor changes in this version:
  • Modified the CSV retention process to create an entry for the start of the period based on the last entry dropped off. This is done to ensure that there is a data value for a state at the start of the period being graphed.
  • Minor code enhancements.
I have now started on the documentation which (once I have progressed it a bit further) will appear on the plugin WIKI - There is nothing worth looking at there at the moment, I will post here when I have uploaded the documentation. :)

Posted on
Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:53 pm
autolog offline

Just a quick update on the next version that I hope to upload by the end of the week. :)

I have been hard at work on the documentation.
I have discovered that doing this is a really good way of ironing out idiosyncrasies and bugs in the plugin. :wink:

I also got sidetracked on adding a new feature which is to create CSV output files from the PostgreSQL Indigo device history log. :D
This new feature works in a different manner to the existing CSV creation. The existing CSV processing updates the CSV file whenever one of the five monitored states changes.

The additional PostgreSQL CSV feature creates the CSV files from scratch and on demand. This is potentially more efficient as you don't need to create the CSV files until you actually need them. The Action to do this also allows you to override the default retention period. So you could create data for example 24, 12, 6 and 3 hours.

I drive this processing from Control Pages. I have a master page with the list of thermostats and clicking on one of the thermostats links to the relevant thermostat page with a server action to create the CSV files and then 3 seconds later to create the Matplotlib chart. This is displayed on the individual thermostat page as a refreshing image. I haven't done this yet but you could have buttons underneath the chart with say 24 / 12 / 6 / 3 and clicking on these buttons would recreate the CSV data accordingly.

I haven't done any of the processing to support SQLite as I am not using it but I could add that in due course.

To support this new CSV processing, I have had to change the plugin config and the TRV Controller device settings. So these will need to be edited and saved when the new version is installed in order to select the appropriate options (even if you intend to leave as is).

I just need to add this to the documentation and then complete a final bit of testing and I will then make it available. :)

Posted on
Sun Feb 03, 2019 5:52 am
Busta999 offline

Jon

Sent you a PM a couple of hours ago, not too sure how this works as it is still sitting in Outbox and not sent yet so not sure if it has gone through.

Can you add me to the Beta list for this I am using 6 Spirit TRVs right now.

Thanks

Mike
Last edited by Busta999 on Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Posted on
Sun Feb 03, 2019 6:38 am
Busta999 offline

I setup graphing on how the Spirits performed three of the TRVs.

I thought it was quite enlightening about how they work.

Only the first 24 hrs of report so far.

** These are designed for display on a black background so legend doesn't show up well on this.

Red is setpoint, yellow actual temp in room, pink purple at the top is reported TRV Temp, pic/purple at bottom is Radiator Valve %

Chart - Radiator - Master Bed.png
Master Bedroom Radiator
Chart - Radiator - Master Bed.png (22.47 KiB) Viewed 3527 times

Chart - Radiator - Lounge Front.png
Lounge Front Radiator
Chart - Radiator - Lounge Front.png (23.11 KiB) Viewed 3527 times

Chart - Radiator - Lounge Back.png
Lounge Back Radiator
Chart - Radiator - Lounge Back.png (23.67 KiB) Viewed 3527 times

This is using DaveL's Matplotlib plugin

I was struggling to understand why the valve was changing when the temp had not been reached, but with the graphs you can see what it is doing.

I'm impressed :-)