Reflector Chronically Down

Posted on
Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:36 am
techieesq offline

Reflector Chronically Down

I have been having a problem with the Indigo Touch App for over a year now and finally took the time during the holidays to do a deep dive and try to fix the problem. Well, I'm here as a last resort after scanning the prior articles, comments and trying some suggestions. For starters, I am running Indigo 7.02 on a MacOS 10.14.2 (Mojave). I have the latest version of Indigo Touch version 2.1.2.

My settings under the Start Local Server are as follows:

* Start and Connect to Indigo Server on This Computer. All boxes are checked with the exception of "Override Web Server (HTTP) port number: 8176
*Require authorization (User Name and Password entered)
*Enable anywhere secure access (via Indigo Reflector), Reflector Status: ACTIVATED
*Outgoing reflector port selection: Default
* Enable remote indigo client access (checked)
*Override Indigo Server port number: 1176 (checked)

My problem is that when I go to operate the app, all of my devices are red and say "interface disabled" At other times, I get an error box that says the "Reflector is Down." I have tried reloading the app on my mac and on my iPhone. I have repeatedly started and restarted the Local Server. I have checked the USB ports on my computer to and made sure that the PowerLinc 2413U is online (Green font).

Based on feedback from the forum, I reset the reflector's activation following the steps in the "Indigo Reflector Service page source ( https://wiki.indigodomo.com/doku.php?id ... reflectors).

But the problem continues intermittently.. Any other suggestions? As I said, this problem has persisted for about a year. Before that It had been working for the last 10 years flawlessly.

Thanks for listening.

Posted on
Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:44 am
FlyingDiver offline

Re: Reflector Chronically Down

What's your subscription (Indigo up to date) status?

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Posted on
Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:32 am
DaveL17 offline

When the Indigo Touch app shows all devices as disabled and "interface disabled", what does the Indigo desktop client show? Does the desktop client show the devices are online and functioning normally?

You say that the problem is intermittent. That suggests that sometimes it is working as expected. Does the behavior change when you are on WiFi vs. cellular?

One guess is that there may be something else on your network trying to use the same port.

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:55 am
techieesq offline

@ FlyingDiver: Indigo License is current through December 2, 2019.

@ DaveL17: When the Touch app shows disabled, the desktop client is always up and running (online and functioning properly) with the PowerLinc highlighted green. I get the same interface error when collected via "Bonjour" or cellular. Should I try to override web server port number "8176"?

Posted on
Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:50 pm
DaveL17 offline

techieesq wrote:
@ FlyingDiver: Indigo License is current through December 2, 2019.

@ DaveL17: When the Touch app shows disabled, the desktop client is always up and running (online and functioning properly) with the PowerLinc highlighted green. I get the same interface error when collected via "Bonjour" or cellular. Should I try to override web server port number "8176"?

I would look at port 8176 first. My understanding is that the typical port 8176 is for the HTTP Web Server (serving control pages, Restful API, and Indigo Touch).

My guess is that something else is listening to port 8176.

EDIT: I checked, and it looks like Indigo Touch is indeed defaulted to the typical HTTP port of 8176. I edited the post above to correct it.
Last edited by DaveL17 on Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted on
Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:51 pm
FlyingDiver offline

You running the client on the Indigo server machine? What happens if you run the client on a different machine?

joe (aka FlyingDiver)

Posted on
Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:59 pm
techieesq offline

I only have one machine. Not sure why that would be the issue given it worked flawlessly before.

As an aside, it was up earlier today, but I just got a message that the reflector is down again via cellular.

Posted on
Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:15 pm
DaveL17 offline

I revised my post above--it looks like Indigo Touch does indeed connect through the HTTP Web server port. I'd start there.

Posted on
Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:01 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

techieesq wrote:
I only have one machine. Not sure why that would be the issue given it worked flawlessly before.

You don't have any older Macs? Often times the types of problems you described are because the Indigo Server was left running on an older Mac (not completely uninstalled), which causes it to occasionally "grab" the reflector connection. When this occurs the interfaces show as disabled and nothing is controllable from Indigo Touch because it is really connecting to the older Mac's Indigo Server which doesn't even have an interface (PowerLinc/Z-Stick) connected to it.

Posted on
Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:45 pm
techieesq offline

No. I only have one Mac Server. My kids have macs, but they do not have Indigo software installed on them at all (I double checked).

Posted on
Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:10 pm
techieesq offline

So as an update, the reflector went down again. I Stopped the Server, clicked "Override Web Server (HTTP) port number 8176" and Restarted the Server. Indigo Touch is working via Bonjour. I waited about 20 minutes and went back to the app and this time it said it was connected via wifi. Is this a distinction without a difference? I'm hoping the override setting works. I'll keep you posted.

Thanks everyone.

Posted on
Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:58 am
techieesq offline

Well. That didn’t work. Reflector is down again. Any other suggestions?

Posted on
Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:38 am
RogueProeliator offline

You might check to see if your internet provider is dropping some packets -- if it isn't terrible, internet such as browsing and possibly streaming will generally still work (sometimes notice speed drop), but things that rely on a constant connection could fail. Just do a "ping 8.8.8.8" in the terminal and see if it reports any packet loss. Obviously this is most beneficial to test when the reflector first goes down.

I had that situation a year or so ago - was still getting 25 Mbps on the connection so most things were still working, but noticed the reflector would go down and some real time games would drop connection. Cable company said all was fine until I showed them ~10-14% packet loss with the ping test. Then it "magically" fixed itself later (tech admitted it was probably in there line afterwards).

Adam

Posted on
Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:41 am
FlyingDiver offline

What kind of Internet connection do you have? Cable, DSL, LTE, Satellite? Who's the ISP?

joe (aka FlyingDiver)

Posted on
Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:30 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Copy/paste what your Event Log shows after a server restart (after waiting about a minute) into a reply. You can blank ("****") out the reflector name if you don't want to post that logging detail.