TRV Beta Feedback Thread

Posted on
Sun Dec 23, 2018 4:11 pm
richo offline

Re: TRV Beta Feedback Thread

Have upgraded to 1.1.3 - running OK.

Currently at my house I have a few schedules predefined using standard Indigo app. I like the idea presented by autologous but I'm still missing something ;-)
I would prefer to have a possibility to define them much easier. I wonder if it would be possible to create a Control Pages as attached below to set up schedules so that anyone could understand and define easily. I would need a separate Page for "working days", "weekend", "holiday" and maybe one for "out for a dinner" :roll: etc
A ZONE may consist of a few radiator thermostats or other heating devices (electric heater etc) Each schedule would start after the previous one so there shouldn't be a need for a start/end times.

What do you think?
Attachments
Screenshot 2018-12-23 at 19.01.40.png
Screenshot 2018-12-23 at 19.01.40.png (133.88 KiB) Viewed 2859 times

Ryszard

Posted on
Mon Dec 24, 2018 3:44 am
autolog offline

That's a nice idea :)

Your schedules are running contiguously without any breaks in-between. The TRV plugin allows for breaks in-between the schedules. I do like the idea of just specifying times and set-points and if it was increased to nine schedules, that would enable one to do what the TRV plugin currently does.

I also like the idea of defining zones and then assigning heating devices and thermostats to the zone. :)

However, I don't think the current Indigo Control Page design lends itself to this type of layout in respect of being able to alter the contents. It's not impossible but I think would mean tapping / clicking on a field and then going to a separate form to modify it. There would need to be a whole series of actions to be able to support it. Not impossible, but not simple to do.

Posted on
Mon Dec 24, 2018 10:19 am
autolog offline

I have just uploaded BETA version 1.1.5 :)

This version should support TRVs which don't report temperature (e.g. LC-13, Danfoss etc). I say should because, I haven't got one to test with although I think I have managed to emulate one.

I have re-written the Action: Device Actions > TRV Controls > Show Schedules which outputs a schedule list to the Indigo Event Log.

Internally the plugin implements scheduling using a cascading/priority system.

At the base level is the Default Schedule. This schedule is defined within each TRV Controller device and changed by Edit Device Settings.

At the next level is the Running Schedule. This is exactly the same as the Default Schedule unless it has been modified by the Action: Device Actions > TRV Controls > Update Schedule.

At the highest priority level is the Dynamic Schedule. This is exactly the same as the Running Schedule unless it has been modified by any of the Actions: Device Actions > TRV Controls > Advance | Boost | Extend etc

The plugin always uses the Dynamic Schedule to determine whether heating is required or not. The purpose of the other schedules is to save the settings so that the correct state can be created. For example when an Advance action ends, the plugin will update the Dynamic Schedule with the Running Schedule. Likewise if the action: Device Actions > TRV Controls > Reset Schedule to Device Defaults is run, this will update the Running Schedule and Dynamic Schedule with the Default Schedule.

If the plugin is started / restarted, then all schedules get reset to the TRV Controller device Default Schedule.

Here is an example of the new Show Schedules command:
Code: Select all
================================================================================
== TRV Controller Plugin - Dynamic Heating Schedules                          ==
==                                                                            ==
== Device: 'T91 - Testing - TRV Controller'                                   ==
==   Schedule Type: 'Default'                                                 ==
==     Schedule 1: 07:00 - 08:00. Setpoint = 21.0                             ==
==     Schedule 3: 19:00 - 22:30. Setpoint = 22.0                             ==
==   Schedule Type: 'Running'                                                 ==
==     Schedule 1: 07:00 - 08:00. Setpoint = 21.0                             ==
==     Schedule 3: 19:00 - 22:30. Setpoint = 22.0                             ==
==   Schedule Type: 'Dynamic'                                                 ==
==     Schedule 3: 16:13 - 22:30. Setpoint = 22.0 [*] ACTIVE                  ==
== Device: 'T93 - Testing - TRV Controller'                                   ==
==   Schedule Type: 'Default'                                                 ==
==     Schedule 1: 18:30 - 19:45. Setpoint = 25.0                             ==
==     Schedule 2: 20:00 - 20:45. Setpoint = 24.0                             ==
==     Schedule 3: 21:00 - 21:45. Setpoint = 24.0                             ==
==     Schedule 4: 22:00 - 23:00. Setpoint = 24.0                             ==
==   Schedule Type: 'Running'                                                 ==
==     Schedule 1: 06:05 - 09:00. Setpoint = 21.0 [*]                         ==
==     Schedule 2: 12:05 - 13:00. Setpoint = 20.0 [*]                         ==
==     Schedule 3: 17:35 - 20:30. Setpoint = 22.0 [*]                         ==
==     Schedule 4: 22:05 - 22:30. Setpoint = 22.0 [*]                         ==
==   Schedule Type: 'Dynamic'                                                 ==
==     Schedule 1: 06:05 - 09:00. Setpoint = 21.0                             ==
==     Schedule 2: 12:05 - 13:00. Setpoint = 20.0                             ==
==     Schedule 3: 17:35 - 20:30. Setpoint = 22.0                             ==
==     Schedule 4: 22:05 - 22:30. Setpoint = 22.0                             ==
== Device: 'T94 - Testing - TRV Controller'                                   ==
==   No schedules defined or enabled for device.                              ==
==                                                                            ==
================================================================================
In the example above, entries with the symbol [*] denote a change from the previous level. If a schedule is in progress it is highlighted with an ACTIVE label.

Posted on
Mon Dec 24, 2018 10:37 am
autolog offline

An important point re: V1.1.5.

Due to some internal configuration changes, you have to Edit Device Settings for each of your TRV Controller devices and do the following:
  • Use the TRV device pull-down list to select the TRV device you are wishing to control. Just select the one you have already selected. This will force a refresh of the base config for the TRV. If you don't, you may get an error e.g. TRV Controller can't control TRV 'T95 - Testing Thermostat Controller' as the TRV doesn't report temperature and there is no Remote Stat defined!
  • Select the Variable device or not required as a heating source
  • As already noted (by @siclark - thanks Simon :) ) disable Schedule 4 if it is enabled and you haven't set it and don't want to use it.

I will improve this in due course (one of the perils of using a beta version :wink: ).

Posted on
Thu Dec 27, 2018 7:25 am
autolog offline

richo wrote:
No, 2 advance actions generate an error:
TRV Error StandardError detected in 'processHeatingSchedule'. Line '649' has error='min() arg is an empty sequence'

I have managed to duplicate this error and am working on fix for V1.1.8. :)

Posted on
Thu Dec 27, 2018 7:33 am
autolog offline

Just uploaded BETA V1.1.7. :)

This corrects the following errors:
  • If a Boost was performed on a TRV Controller with no schedules, the boost didn't revert to the pre-boost set point and remained on.
  • Changes added in V1.1.5 caused the TRV Temperature not to be recorded if the TRV Controller had an associated Remote Thermostat.
  • Changes added in V1.1.5 caused the TRV defaults not to be applied correctly

Probably best to edit and save each individual TRV Controller device but you shouldn't have to select the TRV in the TRV device pull-down as the plugin has been changed/corrected to avoid having to do this.

I am now working on V1.1.8 with which I aim to resolve outstanding Scheduling and Advance issues. There will also be some new Advance actions; Advance To ON and Advance To Off. :)

Posted on
Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:39 am
richo offline

Hi Jon,

Thanks a lot. Danfoss Controller has started to work. Good job :D

I had some problems with my Spirit thermostat in the encryption mode. Matt has suggested to re-include it without encryption. After it works properly for a few days I will apply the controller to Spirit as well.

Kind regards
Ryszard

Ryszard

Posted on
Sun Dec 30, 2018 4:35 am
siclark offline

Hi Jon,
Advance and boost working well for the Popp with it set to wake up every 5 minutes so not too long a wait. However the new spirits arrive today so it's getting decommissioned this evening.

For Jon and everyone else, how are you planning on controlling what could be a lot of devices? Along with 7 Spirits I have a large number of underfloor zones with their own thermostats. I use Homekit as my and family's primary control of the house along with Alexa.
I have the thermostats (TRV controller devices) set up in Homekit so users can all Siri for a certain temperature, and was planning on switches for action groups for boost, advance etc. However that's a lot of devices to clutter up the input screens and you don't get feedback on what has been executed.
Alexa could would but you have to ask to turn on advance bedroom which is strange wording and same lack of feedback.

So I'm thinking of using iMessage plugin which could allow for feedback as well, IE you choose to extend and it tells you what the new active schedule is and how long to next change.
Or if you ask for increase in temp, when the next schedule change would occur that wwill override it etc.
Or even just ask for the schedule and get that back in a message. You could even text"heating help" and get a list of commands.

Anyone looked at this yet (so I can steal/borrow) some logic before having a go myself?
Happy to share progress if not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:21 am
autolog offline

Just uploaded BETA V1.1.8 :)

This is the list of changes:
  • Internally the plugin now works on seconds when processing schedules rather than minutes. This has been changed to facilitate improvements with the advance/boost/extend and scheduling processing. There will no longer be a minute delay before a schedule is actioned i.e. it will be actioned within seconds of the desired time.
  • Advance processing has been improved to correct a previously reported error. When you have advanced through all the schedules for the day, no further advances are allowed.
  • Actions Advance To On and Advance To Off have been added. This is to facilitate advancing between active schedules without an intermediate Off (use Advance To ON). Not sure what the use case for Advance to Off is but added it (as it was easy to do) in case someone had a requirement for it. :)

Posted on
Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:43 am
autolog offline

siclark wrote:
Advance and boost working well for the Popp with it set to wake up every 5 minutes so not too long a wait.

Thanks for the report - Advance processing is further improved in V1.1.8. :)

siclark wrote:
... how are you planning on controlling what could be a lot of devices? Along with 7 Spirits I have a large number of underfloor zones with their own thermostats. I use Homekit as my and family's primary control of the house along with Alexa.
I have the thermostats (TRV controller devices) set up in Homekit so users can all Siri for a certain temperature, and was planning on switches for action groups for boost, advance etc. However that's a lot of devices to clutter up the input screens and you don't get feedback on what has been executed.
Alexa could would but you have to ask to turn on advance bedroom which is strange wording and same lack of feedback.

So I'm thinking of using iMessage plugin which could allow for feedback as well, IE you choose to extend and it tells you what the new active schedule is and how long to next change.
Or if you ask for increase in temp, when the next schedule change would occur that wwill override it etc.
Or even just ask for the schedule and get that back in a message. You could even text"heating help" and get a list of commands.

I am using Control Pages and Indigo Touch to control mine With Control Pages it is easy to get the feedback displayed.. I haven't tried using Alexa or Siri yet. :)

Posted on
Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:37 am
siclark offline

autolog wrote:

I am using Control Pages and Indigo Touch to control mine With Control Pages it is easy to get the feedback displayed.. I haven't tried using Alexa or Siri yet. :)

Might have to try that too, if I can get my wife using indigo touch. Is it possible to share control pages?

Posted on
Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:20 am
richo offline

autolog wrote:
Just uploaded BETA V1.1.8 :)

• Internally the plugin now works on seconds when processing schedules rather than minutes. This has been changed to facilitate improvements with the advance/boost/extend and scheduling processing. There will no longer be a minute delay before a schedule is actioned i.e. it will be actioned within seconds of the desired time.
  • Advance processing has been improved to correct a previously reported error. When you have advanced through all the schedules for the day, no further advances are allowed.
  • Actions Advance To On and Advance To Off have been added. This is to facilitate advancing between active schedules without an intermediate Off (use Advance To ON). Not sure what the use case for Advance to Off is but added it (as it was easy to do) in case someone had a requirement for it. :)

Thanks for the new functionality. Advance ON works very well.

I wonder if it's possible to implement "boost" functionality for other thermostats then Spirit. I.ex. Danfoss doesn't have such a mode but can be simulated by setting heat point to 28 deg. What do you think?

Ryszard

PS
I have noticed that in TRV states list there is no "Schedule four" but twice "Schedule three".

Ryszard

Posted on
Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:54 pm
autolog offline

Just uploaded BETA V1.1.9 :)

• Schedule 4 State names for Control Panel and Triggers had Schedule 3 names - corrected - thanks @richo :)
  • The state advanceStatusUi was incorrectly identified as a boolean - corrected to string (text)
  • Advance Toggle failed with an exception - corrected
  • Schedule setpoint names were inconsistent across schedules - now all have the form Setpoint Heat
  • Device states should now be listed in alphabetical order.
  • A new state has been added: nextScheduleExecutionTime which can have the values:
    • Not yet evaluated
    • HH:MM (time of next schedule for device)
    • All enabled schedules completed
    • No schedules enabled
There is an outstanding bug (being corrected in the yet to be released V1.1.10) which is that the Extend and Advance related device states aren't getting cleared when the effect of the Advance or Extend has completed. The actual Advance and Extend work OK; it is just that the plugin indicates they are still active when they aren't. :oops:

Posted on
Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:59 pm
autolog offline

Hi Ryszard,
richo wrote:
I wonder if it's possible to implement "boost" functionality for other thermostats then Spirit. I.ex. Danfoss doesn't have such a mode but can be simulated by setting heat point to 28 deg. What do you think?

It should already be able to do this as the plugin Boost process isn't using the Spirit's boost function. You can choose to either use a Delta T effect - set a number of degrees above the ambient temperature or a Setpoint and set a specific value e.g. 28 Deg C. I tend to use the Delta T method as you are (almost) guaranteed to get a quick burst of heat.

richo wrote:
I have noticed that in TRV states list there is no "Schedule four" but twice "Schedule three".

Thanks for the report - corrected in BETA V1.1.9 which I have just uploaded. :)

Posted on
Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:58 am
autolog offline

Just before the new year, I have uploaded BETA V1.1.10 :)

• Advance and Extend now correctly update their device states when the Advance/Extend ends.
  • Bug fixes in Advance and Extend processing