New User set up questions...

Posted on
Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:47 pm
P15-D24 offline

New User set up questions...

Just added a Homepod and want to integrate to existing Action Groups. Plugin installed ok, but I don't see where I tie in the existing Action Group. For example I have on group called Outside Lights On, which turn on 4 devices around the house and outside. I'm not sure what device to pick (It's a mix of Insteon switches and receptacles) nor do I see how i tie the HomeKit name to the Action Group Name. Thank you.

Running OS X 12.2.1 on 2018 Mac Mini, Indigo 2022.2
http://www.p15-d24.com

Posted on
Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:10 pm
DaveL17 offline

Re: New User set up questions...

P15-D24 wrote:
Just added a Homepod and want to integrate to existing Action Groups. Plugin installed ok, but I don't see where I tie in the existing Action Group. For example I have on group called Outside Lights On, which turn on 4 devices around the house and outside. I'm not sure what device to pick (It's a mix of Insteon switches and receptacles) nor do I see how i tie the HomeKit name to the Action Group Name. Thank you.

First thing you want to do is add a HomeKit Accessory Server. From the Indigo UI, select a new device of type HomeKit Bridge and Model HomeKit Accessory Server (it's the only model available.)

Next, edit the new device settings. If all went well, you should see the Manage Devices and Action Groups option screen. The top part should be empty because you haven't set up anything yet. In the bottom bit,

Add to HomeKit: set this to Actions not shared from this server.
Action group: set this to whichever Action you want to share
HomeKit name: set this to whatever you want to call your Action -- like "Outside Lights"
HomeKit type: Switch

Then select Save Device, and then select Save. Once the server is synchronized, you should be able to say your command word and then your Action alias above. For example, I do: "Hey Siri. Turn on Bedtime" which will run my Bedtime action.

For more information, from the HomeKit Server configuration dialog, click on the question mark in the lower left corner. That will take you to the plugin documentation.

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:02 pm
P15-D24 offline

Thank you, I missed the dropdown choice for action groups.
So I got my first action group working, turning on the lights. Can I make it toggle on/off or do I have to set up individual actions for on and off?
I currently have my action groups built that way, one for on, another for off.

Running OS X 12.2.1 on 2018 Mac Mini, Indigo 2022.2
http://www.p15-d24.com

Posted on
Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:19 pm
DaveL17 offline

Glad that worked.

You could construct an Action as a toggle, but you'd still be controlling it by turning the action on. I'd suggest doing them as separate Actions which (I think) is more logical.

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:31 pm
siclark offline

You could create a virtual service, with relevant action groups for on and off, and if you use a variable to track status then you could add that as a device switch to Homekit? Downside is if it gets out of sync you may have to turn it on in order to turn it off if you know what I mean.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:30 pm
virgahyatt offline

Or if they are all lights, just create a zone in HomeKit for "Outside" and put them all there. Then say "hey siri turn off the outside lights." All the lights in the "Outside" zone will be turned off.

FYI - a Zone is made up of multiple "Rooms." So you can have a backyard "Room" and a front yard "Room" and place them both in the outside "zone."

Page 1 of 1