TRV Beta Feedback Thread

Posted on
Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:26 am
autolog offline

TRV Beta Feedback Thread

I think we have now just about completed the Alpha testing stage. I say this if only because I am now successfully controlling my own Central heating using the new plugin. :D

First of all very many thanks to the plugin Alpha testers who have assisted me in getting the plugin to this stage. :)

I am therefore opening this thread for discussion on what I now deem to be the beta version of the plugin.

I will post version update information in this thread and welcome feedback and suggestions for any improvements.

Please PM me if you would like to try the beta version and I will PM you a link to the plugin.

When I completed the first pass of the documentation, I will upload the plugin to Github for more general availability.

I intend to submit this plugin to the Indigo Plugin Store once it is deemed to be stable. :)

Posted on
Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:57 am
siclark offline

Re: TRV Beta Feedback Thread

Does this mean we are almost official??

Thanks for all your hard work so far Jon. It's already making a big difference to the comfort of our home, and the new features I'm going to think up over Christmas should make it perfect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:28 pm
autolog offline

Just uploaded the first BETA V1.1.0 :)

For the duration of the beta, the plugin betas will reside as a zipped file in their own individually version named folder i.e the first one is in folder BETA V1.1.0
This is to facilitate an easier way for beta testers to roll back to a previous version.

This new version adds support for four separate schedules (an increase of one).

Thermostats that should be supported are:
  • Thermostat (Spirit)
  • Radiator Thermostat (Living Connect-Z) (added in v1.0.19)
  • Radiator Thermostat (Living Connect LC-13)
  • Radiator Thermostat (POPP TRV)
  • Radiator Thermostat (Devolo 09356)
  • Thermostat (Comet Z)
  • Thermostat (Stella Z)
I say "should be supported" because I haven't got all of these models to personally test. :wink:

Posted on
Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:14 pm
siclark offline

Hi Jon,

As per email, the latest version is not working for me.

The variable for heat required is not being created for me, and have tried top level and in folders, and lots of restarts but nothing. However I cant use this at the moment anyway as I have several different heat source devices that I use to control the boiler (my central heating is split into different zones, with separate valves and pipework per floor, so ideally I would have the variable name configurable in each TRV controller device.

Also the filtering on the heat source devices excludes meta relays (although shows normal relays) when the filtering is removed. My way round the above issues is to use meta relays as my heat source with different one per floor, which then triggers the respective valve on the boiler, but now I cant select this.
Simon

Posted on
Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:38 pm
autolog offline

I have uploaded v1.0.19 as requested and notified in my email response :)

I will look at the issue with the filter for you. :)

Posted on
Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:41 pm
bullsim offline

Thank you so much. Our house is now only spirits and it’s been running on it for sometime now and it’s really good!

Thanks

Simon

Posted on
Fri Dec 21, 2018 5:27 pm
autolog offline

Hi Simon,
autolog wrote:
I have uploaded v1.0.19 as requested and notified in my email response :)

I will look at the issue with the filter for you. :)

Uploaded a new Alpha V1.0.12 as a temporary fix (I hope) for the issue. Created as an Alpha version (for your use) as I don't want to down-date the change in the BETA but would rather correct/enhance it. :)

Posted on
Sat Dec 22, 2018 7:04 am
siclark offline

Alpha 1.0.20 fixed it thank you, although with a big long list of devices. I know you want it neat, but it's not a list we have to scroll through very often.
If we had option of more than one heat source variable then I wouldn't need to use the meta relay as the heat source.

Posted on
Sat Dec 22, 2018 7:32 am
autolog offline

siclark wrote:
Alpha 1.0.20 fixed it thank you, although with a big long list of devices. I know you want it neat, but it's not a list we have to scroll through very often.
If we had option of more than one heat source variable then I wouldn't need to use the meta relay as the heat source.

I haven't changed how the BETA version works, so I need the device definition of the meta relay to add it to the list so that it displays (as per my email).

Also, I am not quite understanding how you expect multiple heat sources to work. Also the heat source is a device not a variable. :?

I am sure I can accommodate what you need for your setup - I just need to understand the requirement. :D

Posted on
Sat Dec 22, 2018 8:20 am
siclark offline

I have 8 Heatmiser thermostats , using the plugin, that can all independently call for heat from the boiler. 5 of these are for underfloor zones, 3 are for radiator zones. The spirit TRVs are on rads across these 3 zones so I need to control those 3 thermostats to turn on or off to get hot water flowing. Different Spirits will need different thermostats turned on.
As I can't directly control the thermostat as a heatsource I either need a meta device relay as a dummy device, or a variable that I can trigger an action from whenever there is a change. This would be the case for anyone using a nest or similar to control the boiler, I just have a few

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=8009

Posted on
Sat Dec 22, 2018 8:53 am
autolog offline

Hi Simon,
so if I added in an option in the TRV Controller device settings to specify a variable instead of and/or as well as a device for the heat source, would that resolve the issue for you?
Regards
Jon

Posted on
Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:50 pm
autolog offline

I have completed the changes to add a Variable as a Heat Source. So if any TRV associated with that variable calls for heat, the variable will be set to the value true.
You can have different variables as heat sources ie. TRVs 1 and 2 could be associated with variable A and TRVs 3 and 4 could be associated with variable B.

You can either select a device as a heat source or a variable or both. :)

Given it is Saturday evening and we have friends round shortly, I won't upload the new beta this evening (as I won't be able to support it). :wink:
I'll let it run this evening and overnight and if it seems to work OK, I will upload it tomorrow.
I have also corrected the Update Schedule Action so that it handles the four schedule times and also added in an action to reset the schedule back to device defaults. This functionality could, for example, be used to alter the schedules at the weekend. :)

It appears the Danfoss and LC-13 etc (which don't report temperature) aren't working correctly. I am part way through coding the changes to correct this. :)

I will then look at adding in wider device support. :)

Posted on
Sat Dec 22, 2018 3:33 pm
siclark offline

autolog wrote:
Hi Simon,
so if I added in an option in the TRV Controller device settings to specify a variable instead of and/or as well as a device for the heat source, would that resolve the issue for you?
Regards
Jon

Awesome. Yes that works. I meant the function you had that would set a variable to true but this works just as well.
Enjoy your evening.

Posted on
Sat Dec 22, 2018 4:16 pm
siclark offline

Everyone check all your devices after the upgrade. Just seen one of mine has the 4th schedule enabled and set to 22:00-22:30 which I didn't set. Guess it's a default Jon?

Posted on
Sun Dec 23, 2018 2:48 am
autolog offline

siclark wrote:
... Guess it's a default Jon?

Yes for initial set-up but it shouldn't be enabled if you already have schedules setup - I'll chalk that one up as a bug and look to fix it. :oops:

Thanks for reporting it. :)