Question about scenes

Posted on
Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:48 pm
kennybroh offline

Question about scenes

If a scene is activated, say the circadian, scene which changes over time, what happens if a user changes the level of one of the lights in the scene? Is the scene interrupted or does it continue to function with the value as changed in that particuluar device?

Posted on
Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:38 pm
rbdubz3 offline

Re: Question about scenes

In the scenario you describe, the 'change of level' request would be executed just fine.. However, when the next scene command runs, the state of the bulb would be changed for the scene.. At present the plugin isn't clever enough to interrupt the scene for every request. That being said, I believe the plugin will turn a scene OFF when a specific 'Lightify Group' device type is turned off

I automate because I am lazy :D - My Plugins: https://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=309

Posted on
Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:42 am
kennybroh offline

Looking at your circadian scenes (BTW, I use MBR as the name for my bedroom too) I noticed you have the interval set to 600 or 10 minutes. Does that mean it changes every 10 minutes or just checks the time every 10 minutes? If so, it will not run for the length of time I assume it is intended to. I must be missing part of how it works.

And I assume the error someone else reported would result from a temp setting outside the range of that bulb? For example, I think the MR16s temp range is 2700-9000. but your scene parameters for MBR circ go down to 1500. I just started the scene so I'll wait to see if I see errors.

Posted on
Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:34 pm
rbdubz3 offline

kennybroh wrote:
Looking at your circadian scenes (BTW, I use MBR as the name for my bedroom too) I noticed you have the interval set to 600 or 10 minutes. Does that mean it changes every 10 minutes or just checks the time every 10 minutes? If so, it will not run for the length of time I assume it is intended to. I must be missing part of how it works.

For Circadian - the scene interval is the time in seconds before it wakes up and attempts a circadian change.. It basically checks to see if the brightness or color temp should be altered.. If there is a sufficient delta in either brightness or color temp, it will change it. So if the Scene Interval is very short there really won't be any delta.. An interval of 10 min or more should be just fine.

And I assume the error someone else reported would result from a temp setting outside the range of that bulb? For example, I think the MR16s temp range is 2700-9000. but your scene parameters for MBR circ go down to 1500. I just started the scene so I'll wait to see if I see errors.

In terms of Color Temp range - at this point I am not specifically validating against a mfg spec for each bulb.. But the tunable whites such as your MR16 have a min of 2700K, max of 6500K.. The plugin currently prevents setting a tunable white less than 2700.. I haven't observed any harm to the bulbs if attempting a setting outside of the supported range. They simply ignore it.. For sanity sake though - I recommend just updating the settings based on the bulbs in your group. Most of my bulbs in use are RGBW. I do have 1 Tunable White Kitchen Under Cabinet Light and I have setup a special circadian scene where 2700K is the min.

I automate because I am lazy :D - My Plugins: https://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=309

Posted on
Fri Dec 21, 2018 5:07 pm
kennybroh offline

If there is a sufficient delta in either brightness or color temp, it will change it.

What is it chacking against? The time of day and some table of appropriate settings as the day wears on?

Posted on
Fri Dec 21, 2018 5:38 pm
rbdubz3 offline

kennybroh wrote:
What is it chacking against? The time of day and some table of appropriate settings as the day wears on?

The circadian algorithm used in the scene is relatively crude.. The quick notes from my docs:

The values form a gradient that increases from sunrise to midday, and decreases at the end of day around sunset. The algorithm will adjust based on a percentage of each interval. The values must be ordered such that: Late Night<Pre-Sunrise<Post-Sunrise<AM Peak<Max, also Max>Pre-Sunset>Post-Sunset>Late Night.

So yeah it is all based on time of day.. Sunrise and Sunset values are taken from Indigo, and hence should use the timezone of your Indigo server.. Each time the plugin scene interval fires, the algorithm calculates brightness and color temp.. For if between 'Pre-Sunrise' (sunrise - 1hr) to 'Post Sunrise' (sunrise + 1hr) . It calculates the percentage of this interval and then applies it to the brightness and color temp values.. Hope that explains it enuf :)

Posted on
Fri Dec 21, 2018 5:39 pm
kennybroh offline

Yup. Cool.

Posted on
Fri Dec 21, 2018 5:51 pm
rbdubz3 offline

BTW - hopefully you can try this out on the RGBW bulbs and not just the tunable white MR16s .. I really find the circadian scene best in early morning or late at night, when the color temp is much lower than 2700K .. The RGBW bulbs go much lower in color temp to 1500K..

That being said, the scene is also nice during the ramp-up post sunrise - as the brightness increases considerably and color temp shoots over 4000K.. Kind of energizing :)

Page 1 of 1