Activate server license not working

Posted on
Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:22 pm
Jim offline

Activate server license not working

Hi Guys.

I run Indigo on a Mac Mini and access it from my iMac. I logged on to the Mac Mini this evening and noticed that Indigo it wanted me to enter my username / email and my registration code. I tried a few times but it says invalid. I am subscribed until 4/19. I did re-IP my internal network last week as well as twitch from cable to AT&T fiber which means I have a new WAN IP. Would this cause an issue?

Thanks.
Jim

Posted on
Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:38 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Activate server license not working

Hi Jim,

IP address change is fine and won't cause any problems. What version of Indigo are you running? 7.1 can occasionally prompt for username/password even when it shouldn't, but that should be better now in 7.2. In either case though the Indigo Server should continue to run even if it doesn't accept your username/password. Note it wants your Indigo Account username/password (used to login to your account here) which is different than your Indigo Server username/password (which are set in Indigo's Start Local Server dialog on your Mac). The former you can reset on our Web server. The latter can only be changed on your Mac from the Indigo Start Local Server dialog.

If problems persist email us and we'll figure it out what is going wrong.

Posted on
Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:56 pm
Jim offline

Thanks for the quick response Matt.

I upgraded to 7.2. I was entering the wrong account credentials. Thanks for clarifying. All set now.

Jim

Posted on
Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:16 am
Jim offline

The pop-up started well... popping up again. Doesn't matter if I dismiss or enter my credentials it comes back after a few hours. I'm running 7.2.0 on both the client and server.

Thanks,
Jim

Posted on
Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:49 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Can you copy/paste the contents of your Event Log window after it shows up and you re-enter your credentials?

Posted on
Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:43 am
Jim offline

Matt just to bring this issue to ground... I rebooted the mac mini running the server (for another reason) and have not seen the pop-up since.

Thanks,
Jim

Posted on
Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:29 am
Jim offline

Matt it started happening again yesterday. Here is what I see in the event log.

Dec 10, 2018 at 12:05:05 AM
Error Indigo account authentication failed -- filedescriptor out of range in select().

Running 7.2 on client and server

Posted on
Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:54 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the additional details. Are you running a lot of plugins? Do you have Indigo execute scripts (if so, what type and approximately how often)? It looks like you are running into a limitation with the maximum number of files/ports that can be open by a process (and used in python 2.7). I believe I can hack around the problem for you when it comes to the license authentication, but I suspect this limitation will show problems in other areas as well so probably best we track down what is causing it.

Also an Indigo Server restart (not entire Mac) should prevent the problem (at least until several files/ports have been left open again).

Posted on
Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:34 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Two additional questions:

1) What version of macOS are you running?

2) Launch the Terminal application and let me know what the result is of copy/pasting this line:

Code: Select all
sysctl -a | grep maxfilesperproc

Posted on
Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:44 pm
Jim offline

Well that makes sense that a reboot/restart would clear any left open file descriptors.

Mac version on client is 10.14.1
Mac version on server is 10.13.6

On server kern.maxfilesperproc: 10240

I am only running two plugs-ins: Alexa-Hue Bridge and Homekit Bridge

I also set up an email notification from a trigger. This email trigger has been failing for a while because I switch Internet providers. I fixed it last Friday. I was getting this error quite a bit in the log. Not sure if maybe the error path might be not closing a descriptor?

Error email send connection failed
Error email re-send scheduled in 10 minutes

Let me know if there is any other info I can gather.

Thanks,
Jim

Posted on
Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:45 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

It might be related to the email checking failing.

After an Indigo Server restart launch the Activity Monitor app, select the Indigo Server (not client) process and inspect that process (circle-i icon), then select the Open File and Ports panel. Select all its contents and save it to a file (or post to forum).

Then the next time you get the authentication prompt repeat those steps and we can compare how many (and what) file descriptors and ports are open.

You might also want to let it run for a few hours and do inspect just to see how if the open file/port list looks like it is growing quickly.

Posted on
Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:29 pm
Jim offline

File attached. Should I restart the server and start fresh?
Attachments
openFilesandPorts.txt
(56.7 KiB) Downloaded 122 times

Posted on
Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:35 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Definitely looks like Indigo's email client is causing the open ports. Looks like it is when it connecting to the SMTP server, so that is when it is trying to send emails (not receive/scan).

I don't know why the authentication is failing, but see if you can get it authenticating correctly and I think the original problem will be avoided. If you cannot get it working with Indigo's built-in email client, then I'd recommend you look at the Better Email plugin. I'm embarrased to admit it is indeed better and more reliable. :roll:

Posted on
Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:23 am
Jim offline

Matt I fixed the smtp issue last week but I can't recall if I restarted the server or not. I just restarted the server. Below is the port list out of Activity app. I'll keep an eye on any email failures. Thanks for the help.

Jim

cwd
/
txt
/Library/Application Support/Perceptive Automation/Indigo 7.2/IndigoServer.app/Contents/MacOS/IndigoServer
txt
/Library/Application Support/Perceptive Automation/Indigo 7.2/IndigoServer.app/Contents/Frameworks/Pantomime.framework/Versions/A/Pantomime
txt
/usr/lib/dyld
txt
/usr/share/icu/icudt59l.dat
txt
/private/var/db/timezone/tz/2018g.1.0/icutz/icutz44l.dat
txt
/System/Library/Frameworks/Carbon.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/HIToolbox.framework/Versions/A/Resources/HIToolbox.rsrc
txt
/System/Library/Frameworks/Carbon.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/HIToolbox.framework/Versions/A/Resources/English.lproj/Localized.rsrc
txt
/System/Library/Components/AppleScript.component/Contents/MacOS/AppleScript
txt
/Library/Application Support/CrashReporter/SubmitDiagInfo.domains
txt
/System/Library/TextEncodings/Unicode Encodings.bundle/Contents/MacOS/Unicode Encodings
txt
/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/lib-dynload/_locale.so
txt
/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/lib-dynload/datetime.so
txt
/Library/Application Support/Perceptive Automation/Indigo 7.2/IndigoServer.app/Contents/Resources/PlugIns/sa_main.so
txt
/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/lib-dynload/_struct.so
txt
/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/lib-dynload/binascii.so
txt
/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/lib-dynload/_functools.so
txt
/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/lib-dynload/_hashlib.so
txt
/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/lib-dynload/_json.so
txt
/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/lib-dynload/time.so
txt
/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/lib-dynload/cStringIO.so
txt
/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/lib-dynload/_collections.so
txt
/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/lib-dynload/operator.so
txt
/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/lib-dynload/itertools.so
txt
/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/lib-dynload/_heapq.so
txt
/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/lib-dynload/_socket.so
txt
/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/lib-dynload/_ssl.so
txt
/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/lib-dynload/cPickle.so
txt
/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/lib-dynload/select.so
txt
/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/lib-dynload/strop.so
txt
/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/lib-dynload/_ctypes.so
txt
/Library/Application Support/Perceptive Automation/Indigo 7.2/IndigoServer.app/Contents/Resources/PlugIns/sa_geturl.so
txt
/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/lib-dynload/array.so
txt
/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/lib-dynload/math.so
txt
/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/lib-dynload/_random.so
txt
/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/lib-dynload/_io.so
txt
/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/lib-dynload/fcntl.so
txt
/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/lib-dynload/_scproxy.so
txt
/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/lib-dynload/zlib.so
txt
/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/lib-dynload/_bisect.so
txt
/System/Library/Keyboard Layouts/AppleKeyboardLayouts.bundle/Contents/Resources/AppleKeyboardLayouts-L.dat
txt
/Users/jim/Library/Caches/com.perceptiveautomation.indigo-server/Cache.db-shm
txt
/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/lib-dynload/unicodedata.so
txt
/private/var/folders/4l/l5lkz1w944l56sblpcnzrq5r0000gn/0/com.apple.LaunchServices-221-v2.csstore
txt
/private/var/db/dyld/dyld_shared_cache_i386
/dev/null
/dev/null
/dev/null
/Library/Application Support/Perceptive Automation/Indigo 7.2/IndigoServer.app/Contents/Resources/IndigoServer.rsrc
/System/Library/Frameworks/Carbon.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/HIToolbox.framework/Versions/A/Resources/HIToolbox.rsrc
/System/Library/Frameworks/Carbon.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/HIToolbox.framework/Versions/A/Resources/English.lproj/Localized.rsrc
/Library/Application Support/CrashReporter/SubmitDiagInfo.domains
/Library/Application Support/Perceptive Automation/Indigo 7.2/Logs/2018-12-11 Events.txt
*:indigo-server
->0xaa9c738732e2a82f
localhost:indigo-server->localhost:56367
localhost:indigo-server->localhost:56356
localhost:indigo-server->localhost:56357
localhost:indigo-server->localhost:56358
/Users/jim/Library/Caches/com.perceptiveautomation.indigo-server/Cache.db
/Users/jim/Library/Caches/com.perceptiveautomation.indigo-server/Cache.db-wal
/Users/jim/Library/Caches/com.perceptiveautomation.indigo-server/Cache.db-shm
localhost:indigo-server->localhost:56359
localhost:indigo-server->localhost:56360
/dev/urandom