State Images

Posted on
Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:33 am
berkinet offline

State Images

Is there an update to the kStateImageSel table? I notice that several listed entries do not actually work. Like WindSpeedSensor.

And, is there somewhere that shows the actual icon images (or could they be added to the kStateImageSel table)?
Last edited by berkinet on Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Posted on
Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:44 am
autolog offline

Re: State Images

+1 to get the list completed.

I also agree it would be very useful to show the actual image in the documentation. :wink:

In addition it would be very useful for plugin developers to be allowed to specify and supply custom images. :)

Posted on
Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:46 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

berkinet wrote:
Is there an update to the kStateImageSel table? I notice that several listed entries do not actually work. Like WindSpeedSensor.

And, is there somewhere that shows the actual icon images (or could they be added to the kStateImageSel table)?

No update yet. We probably should get the actual image into the docs... ;)

[EDIT] - actually, this is the correct list for Indigo 7+ (it appears we added a couple).

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:49 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

autolog wrote:
In addition it would be very useful for plugin developers to be allowed to specify and supply custom images. :)

On the request list.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:07 pm
berkinet offline

jay (support) wrote:
... actually, this is the correct list for Indigo 7+ (it appears we added a couple).

According to that table "...Indigo Touch and Indigo client UI do not currently have icons for every image selector listed...

Could you also note which selectors do not presently have associated images - or just remove them from the list. That would make it easier than finding that out by trial and error.

Thanks

Posted on
Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:05 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

We can add to our ToDo list to document which ones exist, but the idea is that you should use the image selector that best matches the state you want regardless of if the icon exists currently. That is so that some day when a more precise state icon is added to Indigo it will then be shown without any plugin change needed.

Posted on
Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:10 pm
berkinet offline

matt (support) wrote:
...some day in the future when a more precise state icon is added to Indigo it will then be shown without any plugin change needed.

Got it. Though, in some cases a developer might pick one icon to use for now until a more appropriate image becomes available. Also, for example, I might not get involved with the case logic to determine wind direction if I knew the icon wasn't available.

Posted on
Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:56 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

berkinet wrote:
I might not get involved with the case logic to determine wind direction if I knew the icon wasn't available.

Seems like if the wind direction is useful to users, it would be a shame to not provide it just because there's no icon...

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:42 pm
berkinet offline

jay (support) wrote:
berkinet wrote:
I might not get involved with the case logic to determine wind direction if I knew the icon wasn't available.

Seems like if the wind direction is useful to users, it would be a shame to not provide it just because there's no icon...

It was just an example. But, since you bring it up... the wind gauge already reports in degrees. But, wind speed is more important than direction, so I map speed to the device display state. If I could overlay direction, as an icon, that would be a plus.

Page 1 of 1