Arlo Security Cameras

Posted on
Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:19 am
RogueProeliator offline

Arlo Security Cameras

I've seen a couple of people reference using Arlo security cameras at times... just curious if anyone is still using them and, if so, would you mind letting me know how you like them? I've been debating between a few different directions to go - UniFi cameras, Arlo, keeping the more ad-hoc NVR approach, etc. I'm hoping someone wouldn't mind sharing a few camera samples too. If you are willing to share but don't want to do it publicly, feel free to PM me.

Thanks!
Adam

Posted on
Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:57 am
norcoscia offline

Re: Arlo Security Cameras

My Arlo's work nicely to record what has already happened - I have 5 running for free (5 is the max free amount and comes with 7 dates history). The batteries need to be charged up 3 times a year but I have one on power (charging) all the time since it was next to an outlet and one hooked up to their solar charger.

I have them set to arm on me leaving about 500 ft from my house and the disarm when come back home (enter the circle). They are also on a schedule so they are and disarm based on time. Happy with them and the video recordings are stored local and on the cloud.

If they had indigo integration then it would be really really cool. The one thing (like all cloud based devices) is when you look at a camera in real rime it takes a few seconds for the video to come up (link to cloud and push to your monitor). I always say they are great for security and recording "what happened" but not perfect to see what is happening at any second (due to the link time mentioned above).

Some images.... Let me know if you have any other questions
Attachments
2018-12-03_06-48-47.jpeg
2018-12-03_06-48-47.jpeg (116.05 KiB) Viewed 4461 times
2018-11-28_06-53-41.jpeg
2018-11-28_06-53-41.jpeg (124.05 KiB) Viewed 4461 times

_______
Norm

Posted on
Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:07 am
RogueProeliator offline

If they had indigo integration then it would be really really cool. The one thing (like all cloud based devices) is when you look at a camera in real rime it takes a few seconds for the video to come up (link to cloud and push to your monitor). I always say they are great for security and recording "what happened" but not perfect to see what is happening at any second (due to the link time mentioned above).

This is my biggest issue with them -- well, not so much the length of time to come up but more so that it is hard to just have them all constantly streaming (or not all, but key ones) to a display. I see their baby monitor will stream locally when on the same network and I'm hoping the newer models (like the Ultra just released) will inherit that.

How is the motion detection and alerts? I'm used to my NVR where it is a constant record, so not sure I would be okay with the record-only-on-motion unless I felt sure it was getting everything important. The Ultra even takes it a step further with auto focus/zoom/tracking on objects, so it had better work well! And the 4K and color night vision and a few other options are cool, but ... there are drawbacks.

Part of this drive is wanting a video doorbell integrated into the same system as my cameras; if someone made a good ONVIF one (here is looking at you Unifi) I likely would go that route. However, the wireless (with battery) option would be good in at least 2 locations that I can think of, and only Arlo seems to have that option down well that I've seen.

Posted on
Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:41 pm
roussell offline

I’ve been very happy with the Reolink 4mp POE cameras I have tied in with Blue Iris. The cameras are ONVIF and are also available in a 5mp version. The 4mp is enough for me and super sharp. Lots of config options and motion detection on the cams and they’re less than $60 each on Amazon

Terry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:55 pm
RogueProeliator offline

I’ve been very happy with the Reolink 4mp POE cameras I have tied in with Blue Iris. The cameras are ONVIF and are also available in a 5mp version. The 4mp is enough for me and super sharp. Lots of config options and motion detection on the cams and they’re less than $60 each on Amazon

I've considered going with BlueIris also, but I'm not sure about the performance with about 16 streams coming in... Decent computer and storage speed needed in that case, but would allow me to re-utilize the existing IP cameras that I have; would prefer a better MP on a few so might replace anyway. I believe I've looked at the Reolinks and bookmarked them, but haven't purchased any. They had a more expensive PTZ one that I liked (it was far cheaper than other similarly-speced cameras). I have one location I might like that option.

But I still need a good ONVIF doorbell!

Posted on
Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:02 pm
roussell offline

RogueProeliator wrote:
...But I still need a good ONVIF doorbell!

I don't know if it's "good" but I have this one in my Amazon shopping cart:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075V9ZKTY
There are several versions of this camera on Amazon, rebadged by several vendors but they all seem the same and use the same firmware. It's cheap enough that I'll try it one day and just send it back if it doesn't work well enough. I have a camera that covers the front stoop and walking path to the door, so it hasn't been a big rush - plus the only people that come to the front door are generally people that I don't care to see LOL...

BTW, Blue Iris will off-load to an Intel Graphics chip (forget the type) or an Nvidia Cuda card. I don't have one, but it's on a VM on one of the beast-servers so haven't had a problem yet, but I only have 5 cameras on it ATM too...

Terry

Posted on
Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:21 pm
noel1983 offline

That looks like a hikvision doorbell camera that when i tried it was absolute rubbish. Delay to trigger alerts was terrible, people would have long since walked away if I waited to see who it was! At that price it’s worth a try to see if it’s got better

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Posted on
Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:39 pm
RogueProeliator offline

There are several versions of this camera on Amazon, rebadged by several vendors but they all seem the same and use the same firmware. It's cheap enough that I'll try it one day and just send it back if it doesn't work well enough.

I have one of the other brands and my father a second and third -- those are the worst products to come out of China in the security space. None of them work, complete garbage.

I would like to try this one:
https://www.securitycameraking.com/VDB-EL1VAW-B.html?pSearchQueryId=3228676
but I don't quite understand their wiring diagram yet... it shows DC power input separate than the output, which I am guessing won't work on my old school doorbell. But haven't researched at all... it does accept the 16v and 20v power though, so maybe it will. Unless the power draw when activated is enough to trigger the mechanical chime?

Posted on
Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:08 pm
norcoscia offline

If you can run the wires POE is going to be much better -- but too hard for me to run wires. The Arlo's detect motion and then record - works OK, gets the UPS / Amazon drivers every time when I'm away from home. No way to have them always streaming, at least not with the free plan - Not sure about the pay plans since I'm not interested in paying for my own video :-)

_______
Norm

Posted on
Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:51 am
RogueProeliator offline

I don't know if it's "good" but I have this one in my Amazon shopping cart

Hmm, someone with some time needs to try and build upon this to integrate with the doorbell... I'm thinking could use a standard doorbell / chime operation but add the camera in there. Perhaps can sense the doorbell press with another Pi module? Only thing is how to power it -- step down the doorbell's line voltage?
https://medium.com/home-wireless/headless-streaming-video-with-the-raspberry-pi-zero-w-and-raspberry-pi-camera-38bef1968e1

@DaveL, you love to tinker and buy Pi parts... GET TO IT! (Oh lawd, I sound like @durosity there... what is happening to me???)

Posted on
Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:20 am
durosity offline

You’re slowly turning into me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Computer says no.

Posted on
Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:10 pm
siclark offline

I'm not sure the internet can take 2 of you!

Posted on
Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:35 pm
kw123 offline

my experience with UNIFI cameras:

have 12: all G3 version:
- 1 micro - wifi only $174, Very Good, very slick design. 2 & 5 GHz Wifi work fine. When 5GHz is enabled and placed next to a motion sensor it triggers the motion sensor (I guess that should be true for all 5GHz wifi devices)
- 2 dome $133 , would not buy again, too big, looks ugly not w approved
- 7 UVC with infrared ring $ $140 + $70, good for outside
- 2 Flex ~ $75 , my favorite for inside and outside areas when other light sources available

Had one UVC brake, no IR

Integration into unifi plugin:
- can set 90% of all parameters, commands :dis-enabled LEDs, IR auto/off/level, sound volume, take picture, enable/disable video recording, sensitivity, on/off ... NOT set event trigger area, that only makes sense online when you see it.
- get events into trigger, variable...
- copy event still picture to local drive/path
NVR runs on a linux machine ( have it running in a virtual box on the Indigo server MAC pro2012 ~ uses 70% of 1 cpu w 12 cameras)

There is an "unofficial" api published that works well.

The new device "cloud key plus" with "PROTECT" is still in beta and does currently NOT offer ANY api access or any low level unix access either.
Looks like a version for basic consumers w no touching, no messing around w it.

Karl

Posted on
Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:08 pm
DaveL17 offline

RogueProeliator wrote:
@DaveL, you love to tinker and buy Pi parts... GET TO IT! (Oh lawd, I sound like @durosity there... what is happening to me???)

Yeah, these little buggers are addictive!

One of my many half-finished projects is building a stable Samba server to share a USB Drobo over IP. I also have a Pi Zero W sitting here with nothing to do (it was only US$5 from Adafruit). And I have a UniFi G3 camera here that's not yet installed. And I have a new (used) power conditioner to install (more on that later). And I have plugin work to finish. And I want to build an Indigo touchscreen client. And.......oh look! A squirrel!!

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:11 pm
durosity offline

Also what’s this touchscreen interface you’re talking about?

Computer says no.