Echo Dot 3rd generation

Posted on
Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:43 am
jomisaji offline

Echo Dot 3rd generation

I recently purchased an Echo (2nd generation) and afterwards found out that it wouldn't discover Alexa Hue bridge devices (although it is included in the list of supported devices). Some posts in the user forum indicated that a Dot would, so I bought a 3rd generation Echo Dot, but it does not discover either. Does anybody know whether Echo Dot 3rd generation should work ?

Posted on
Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:07 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Echo Dot 3rd generation

I haven't heard (anyone tried it yet?), but honestly it wouldn't surprise me if they also stopped working. The plugin patches in to an older direct integration that the Echos had with the Hue Hub. Newer Echo devices don't seem to support this direct integration (or maybe they do it differently somehow).

Last time I checked, Amazon still had Gen 2 Dots (at a reduced price) so you might want to check that out.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:57 pm
mattyf offline

I tried with a 3rd Gen Dot and it didn't work. Does this mean the 3rd Gen is and will remain incompatible? Is there any sort of workaround (other than buying a Gen 2 Dot?"

Posted on
Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:40 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

mattyf wrote:
I tried with a 3rd Gen Dot and it didn't work. Does this mean the 3rd Gen is and will remain incompatible? Is there any sort of workaround (other than buying a Gen 2 Dot?"

As I said above, the newer Echo devices apparently don't support the older protocol that the plugin relies on. Until we get an official skill working, the only workaround is to get a 2nd gen dot (which last I checked were on sale for $20USD).

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:27 pm
mattyf offline

Is this only for discovery? In other words, once I use the 2nd gen dot to discover the devices, can I use the 3rd gen dots to send commands?

Sorry if this is really basic... I've never used Alexa before for anything, so I'm not really sure how it even works when there are more than one in the house.

Posted on
Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:43 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

mattyf wrote:
Is this only for discovery? In other words, once I use the 2nd gen dot to discover the devices, can I use the 3rd gen dots to send commands?

Sorry if this is really basic... I've never used Alexa before for anything, so I'm not really sure how it even works when there are more than one in the house.

I don't believe so - you *think* you have to have 1 that speaks the old API on the network at all times. You can have multiple "new" ones, and they will hand off the command to the one that can talk correctly.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:55 pm
autolog offline

jay (support) wrote:
mattyf wrote:

I don't believe so - you *think* you have to have 1 that speaks the old API on the network at all times. You can have multiple "new" ones, and they will hand off the command to the one that can talk correctly.

You need the older version Dots to do discovery but once that is done, you can (probably) speak to the newer ones to issue commands. I say probably because I have tested with a few of the newer Echos that won't discover, but will take commands;. I haven't tested with any Gen 3 devices. :)

Posted on
Sun Dec 02, 2018 5:42 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

autolog wrote:
jay (support) wrote:
I say probably because I have tested with a few of the newer Echos that won't discover, but will take commands;. I haven't tested with any Gen 3 devices. :)

Ah, but did you remove the older Echo when testing? My theory (which may be wrong) is that the newer echo's just forward the command to the older one that can talk to the bridge. I don't have any newer ones or I'd test myself...

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Sun Dec 02, 2018 5:49 pm
gt3mike offline

I have one of the new, fuzzy-sided Dots. I'll try to take a look later tonight to remind myself what voice commands I use the plugin for, and then see whether they work from the new Dot.

Posted on
Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:00 pm
gt3mike offline

OK so I can confirm that my existing Alexa-Hue Bridge actions still work from the new 3rd Gen Dot.

Posted on
Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:15 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

gt3mike wrote:
OK so I can confirm that my existing Alexa-Hue Bridge actions still work from the new 3rd Gen Dot.

And that's the only Echo that's turned on at the moment?

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:32 pm
gt3mike offline

jay (support) wrote:
gt3mike wrote:

No - there are also several Gen 2 Dots and an original Echo on the network.

Posted on
Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:32 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

gt3mike wrote:
jay (support) wrote:
gt3mike wrote:

No - there are also several Gen 2 Dots and an original Echo on the network.

So, one more experiment if you wouldn't mind: unplug all of the older ones and just leave the 3rd gen dot plugged in. I'm curious to see if you'll be able to control the lights via the bridge plugin.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:28 pm
gt3mike offline

jay (support) wrote:
So, one more experiment if you wouldn't mind: unplug all of the older ones and just leave the 3rd gen dot plugged in. I'm curious to see if you'll be able to control the lights via the bridge plugin.

Done. As you surmied, when the 3rd Gen Dot is the only Alexa device plugged in, voice commands that trigger Alexa-Hue Bridge actions don't work. But if I plug in another Alexa device, then the Alexa-Hue Bridge commands start working again from the 3rd Gen Dot.

Posted on
Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:07 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

gt3mike wrote:
Done. As you surmied, when the 3rd Gen Dot is the only Alexa device plugged in, voice commands that trigger Alexa-Hue Bridge actions don't work. But if I plug in another Alexa device, then the Alexa-Hue Bridge commands start working again from the 3rd Gen Dot.

Thanks for the confirmation, so now we know that a 1st Gen Echo or 1st or 2nd Gen Echo Dot are required to be on the network at all times in order for the plugin to work (because they are the only ones that know how to talk to the plugin).

Jay (Indigo Support)